How To Improve Guests' Experiences and Maximize Sales with Doug Kennedy
Today, Doug Kennedy, Founder and President of the Kennedy Training Network (KTN) joins us to share some nuggets from his 30+ years of experience in the hospitality industry. Doug delivered training workshops globally, in places like Sao Paulo, Singapore, Sophia, Frankfurt, and Milan, to name a few, touching the lives of at least 40,000 hoteliers in the process.
At KTN, Doug delivers training in hotel sales, hospitality and guest service staff, front desk, and reservations sales.
Our conversation revolves around the five principles of hospitality excellence, how to attract new clients and increase sales, situational sensitivity, and the importance of self-care. We discuss Doug's two definitions of hospitality, how innkeepers can avoid exhaustion and burnout, and how being smaller than hotel chains and understanding the human touch are advantages inns have in the industry.
In addition, Doug kindly shared some sales tips to transform our business simply by re-learning to use our inn's phone.
Tune in to Episode 12 of INNtrospection, and pay attention to our conversation because Doug offers a discount code for his course "Reservations QUEST". Enjoy!
Some Questions I Ask:
- How do you define hospitality? (4:23)
- In one of the articles you wrote, you talk about the five fundamentals of hospitality excellence. Can you enlighten us as to what they are? And give us some examples? (15:33)
- How do you feel that innkeepers can keep from burning out and keep being innkeepers and finding it exciting and fun? (23:12)
In This Episode, You'll Learn:
- Hospitality is about caring for and about your guests (6:52)
- We are here to serve our guests, not to be their friends (11:50)
- The importance of self-care and taking a moment for us (22:57)
- Celebrate phone calls. People call before booking online (31:21)
- The importance of understanding the human touch a phone call provides (34:33)
- Kennedy Training Network website
- Book: Doug Kennedy - So You REALLY Like Working With People?: Five Principles For Hospitality Excellence
- Book: Doug Kennedy - Still On The Road To Sales And Guest Service Excellence: Doug Kennedy's Hospitality Training Articles 1996 - 2012
Connect with Doug: