Gearing Up for The 2022 ALP Conference & Marketplace with Kris Ullmer and Erik Spence
The 2022 ALP Conference & Marketplace coming up February 5th is an excellent opportunity to connect with people from the industry, learn about what they are doing, and learn about other innkeepers' ideas to implement in our own b&bs. Like any other industry, innkeeping requires ongoing education, and the Conference is an excellent opportunity for those interested in professionalizing their career choice. It is also an ideal chance for newcomers to understand that innkeeping is much more than a profession; it is a lifestyle.
Visiting us to tell us more about the Conference are Kris Ullmer, CEO of the Association of Lodging Professionals (ALP), and Erik Spence, Conference Planner at ALP.
Kris has been in the innkeeping and lodging business her entire life; she opened her first B&B in partnership with her spouse in 1987, volunteered at the Wisconsin Bed & Breakfast Association, and became the Managing Director. Kris was the CEO of PAII (Professional Association of Innkeepers International) when it merged with AIHP (Association of Hospitality Professionals), creating the ALP and naming her as the CEO of the new association in the process.
Erik has a Bachelor's Degree in Hotel, Motel, and Restaurant Management from Penn State University. After more than 20 years of experience in hotel and restaurant management, Erik specialized in business functions, weddings, festival planning, and event consultations.
In this episode, we delve into Kris and Erik's journeys in the innkeeping and lodging industry, their passion for hospitality, and what made them choose this career path. We also talk about their definition of client satisfaction, what is expected from innkeepers when hosting guests, and how to avoid burnout.
In addition, we talked about the Conference; Erik shared details about the event's organization, what attendants should expect to get from it, the massive opportunity it represents for the industry, Covid restrictions and regulations, and much more.
Some Questions I Ask:
- Erik, I know you've been spending a lot of time getting ready for this Conference. Can you tell us a little bit more about what to expect? (6:19)
- Kris, Erik, how do you define hospitality? (17:27)
- What has either of you learned about how to prevent burnout for innkeepers? (34:10)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- About the Conference's growth and how it evolved with time into what it is today (7:36)
- A Conference made entirely of content chosen by owners and lodging professionals (10:19)
- Hospitality can come in unique variations (18:14)
- Kris and Erik share their experiences with W.O.W service (25:56)
- What are some of the great opportunities the Conference offers (38:27)
Connect with Kris:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 715-921-2327
Connect with Erik:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 573-470-3492