Human Restoration Project
83: Why Rating Students Undermines Learning w/ Dr. Susan Blum
Transcripts can be found via our website, humanrestorationproject.org.
Today we are joined by Dr. Susan Blum, Dr. Blum is a professor of anthropology at the University of Notre Dame, and the author of many works and articles, including her recently released: Ungrading: Why Rating Students Undermines Learning (and What to Do Instead), which features fifteen different educators, such as Arthur Chiaravalli, Jesse Stommel, Aflie Kohn, and Laura Gibbs, speaking on their ideas and implementation of the practice. And as an interesting side note, more than half of the educators in the book have appeared on our podcast!
In this conversation we'll be talking about ungrading, framed on the ideas found in the book - the “how” of the practice, and particularly how ungrading fits within COVID-19 and promoting equity as a whole.
Dr. Susan Blum, professor of anthropology at the University of Notre Dame and active author, with a recent focus on ungrading.
- Ungrading Book Club (assembled by David Buck)
- West Virginia University Press: Ungrading, edited by Dr. Susan Blum
- Human Restoration Project Ungrading Handbook
- Human Restoration Project Ungrading Course
- 78: A Way to Ungrade, Floop w/ Christine Witcher
- 74: The Research on Assessment w/ Dr. Astrid Poorthuis
- 54: Making the Switch to Ungrading feat. Abigail French, Dr. Susan Blum, and Dr. Laura Gibbs
- 47: Redefining Assessment by Implementing Gradeless Learning feat. Jeffery Frieden, Aaron Blackwelder, & Nick Covington