Human Restoration Project
96: Unpacking Learning Loss: The Who, the What, and the Why
Today, Nick and I are going to break down Human Restoration Project's recently released "Learning Loss" Handbook, providing an overview of the ideas we present in the book, the faux narrative being created surrounding "learning loss", and offering an alternative for educators to push for and pursue. You can find the free download at humanrestorationproject.org/materials.
Included in this conversation is...
- The history of the term "learning loss"
- An analysis of standardized testing and what we're measuring
- Showcasing the overall negative impacts of standardized testing
- Deconstructing the financial ties to learning loss and the testing industry
- Dissecting the stereotype threat and Pygmalion effect and its potential connection to the negative narrative of learning loss
Next time we'll break down *how* we counteract this narrative. Stay tuned!
*Apologies for the audio quality, my mic literally broke while recording this podcast! Support our funding drive! :)
Human Restoration Project is currently in the midst of our September 2021 funding drive. You can learn more, help us out, obtain donor gifts, and support future podcasts/ resources by visiting Human Restoration Project's website.
- 95: Deciphering "Learning Loss" w/ Akil Bello
- FutureEd State Plan Tracking
- Introducing "Operation Reverse the Loss" (IES)
- HRP's Learning Loss Handbook