Human Restoration Project
92: Paul Geheeb and the School of Humanity
Today we’re doing something a bit different. I was checking my email a few months ago, and I have Google Scholar set up to send me articles about progressive education, and this name showed up I had never heard of before: Paul Geheeb. Geheeb was a German school leader who led a progressive school at the advent of the Nazi seizure of power. The story is wildly interesting in terms of historical significance as well as progressive pedagogy, as Geheeb led a self-directed school centered on learning by doing. We’ve gathered information about the relatively unknown life of Paul Geheeb, and we wanted to present this to you. Enjoy.
*Not stated in the episode, but relevant information due to Odenwaldschule's recent closure. "Odenwaldschule" is a separate entity from the Odenwaldschule Gaheeb opened in 1910. It was then reopened under the same name in the 1930s by the Nazi party, which continued to operate until a series of sexual abuse scandals in the 2010s.
- With Paul Geheeb from the "Odenwaldschule" to the "Ecole d'Humanité" by Edward Diller, 1983
- Paul Geheeb and Nazi Germany: Progressive Education in the Age of Fascism in Historians on Leadership and Strategy by Ashley Curtis, 2020
- Paul Geheeb and the école d'Humanité in Switzerland by Hans-Ulrich Grunder, 2014
- OECD Country Notes, Finland; OECD Country Notes, USA
- Ecole d'Humanité - Wikipedia
- World Happiness Report - Wikipedia