Human Restoration Project
85: Combatting Adultism to Create a Flourishing Democracy w/ Dr. Tanu Biswas & Dr. John Wall
Today we're joined by Dr. Tanu Biswas and Dr. John Wall. Dr. Biswas is a doctorate of pedagogy who focuses her research on children's civil disobedience for climate justice, and showcasing the richness that children and childhood have to offer adults. Dr. Wall is a theoretical ethicist who focuses on the idea of a moral life centered on language, power, culture, and childhood. His upcoming book, Give Children the Vote: How to Democratize Democracy argues for voting rights regardless of age.
Our conversation centers on combatting adultism, or the power adults have over children and the discrimination of young people, which is more than present in society but in my opinion, amplified in the classroom. We talk about what adultism and childism mean, how to promote democracy, and the importance of civil disobedience.
Dr. Tanu Biswas, doctorate of pedagogy and researcher focused on civil disobedience, children, and the intersection of climate justice
Dr. John Wall, theoretical ethicist centered on language, power, culture, and childhood
- The Childism Institute (Rutgers)
- Children's Voting Colloquium
- Upcoming Event!: Exploring Children Across Disciplines by (Jan 22, 2021 @ 8AM ET)
- Children’s Civil Disobedience in the Minority World & its Potential for Re-imagining the Educational by Tanu Biswas
- Why Children Should Have the Right to Vote: An Argument for Proxy-Claim Suffrage by John Wall