Hot Mess Clubhouse
Welcome to The Hot Mess Clubhouse, a weekly podcast celebrating funny women. Each week, author and journalist, Lucy Vine will be in conversation with a different hilarious female, discussing feminism, funny-ness and f**k ups.
9. Catriona Innes talks cartoon crushes, dolphin vendettas, and PJ & Duncan34:46The incredibly talented and lovely author and journalist Catriona Innes joins the Hot Mess Clubhouse this week, for the final episode of the second series. Catriona talks to host, Lucy Vine about her magical and deeply emotional new novel, The Matchmaker. They chat about the rollercoaster publication process and how Catriona hid copies of her book for days before she could look at them. They also discuss her amazing dream job, as Features Director of Cosmopolitan magazine, as well as Catriona’s various undercover journalism missions. As if all that wasn’t exciting enough, Lucy and Catriona also cover terrible high-fives, her anti-dolphin agenda, and how much she lied in her own teen diary. Music by Harry Harris. Recorded at Hearst/Cosmopolitan offices and produced by Pineapple Audio Production.
View all episodes
8. Sophie Kinsella talks Christmas Shopaholic, Googling Yourself, and Book Proposals34:30No-one elicits a reaction like this week’s legendary guest, author Sophie Kinsella. The prolific and hilarious writer – best known for her Shopaholic series, starring Becky Bloomwood – joins host Lucy Vine at this week’s Hot Mess Clubhouse where they discuss Sophie’s new novel, Christmas Shopaholic. Recorded at a live event at the Romantic Novelist Association Winter Party, Sophie and Lucy talk in depth about returning to an old friend in Becky and how the Shopaholic books remain so relatable and popular even after 20 years. Sophie also opens up about Googling herself, controversially not having a favourite Jane Austen book, and what she’s like when she’s angry. Music by Harry Harris. Recorded at Romantic Novelist Association Winter Party and produced by Pineapple Audio Production.
7. Terri White talks terrible relationships, magazines and Piers Morgan31:52Journalist and author, Terri White is this week’s guest at the Hot Mess Clubhouse. She’s the editor in chief of Empire and Pilot TV magazines, as well as the author of upcoming book, Undone. She talks to host Lucy Vine about her incredible career, editing an array of big-name magazines, as well as explaining how she harassed her way into her first journalism job and how she repeatedly upended her life in pursuit of new work challenges. Terri also opens up about being the gender underdog, cheap chocolate, poverty violence and kissing boys in trees. Be warned: there’s also a lot of shouting about feminism. Music by Harry Harris. Recorded at Waterstones Gower Street and produced by Pineapple Audio Production.
6. Jill Mansell talks being a dinosaur, falling in love with characters and fountain pens28:37Bona fide legend Jill Mansell is the latest funny woman to join the Hot Mess Clubhouse. Recorded at a live event in front of an audience at Waterstones Gower Street, host Lucy Vine talks to the author of 30+ books about her writing process, which sees her doing everything by hand with a fountain pen. The legendary and always hilarious author opens up about being more nervous than ever about her work, fancying her characters, vivid dreams, swearing, and being inspired by This Morning. She also talks about her recent book, Maybe This Time and how she got the idea from an upside down sheep. Music by Harry Harris. Recorded at Waterstones Gower Street and produced by Pineapple Audio Productions.
5. Author special with Daisy Buchanan, Ayisha Malik and Rosie Walsh25:41Recorded at a special live event in front of an audience at Waterstones Gower Street, the latest Hot Mess Clubhouse welcomes three incredibly talented writers, Daisy Buchanan, Ayisha Malik and Rosie Walsh. The three authors talk to host Lucy Vine about their most recent books – The Sisterhood, This Green and Pleasant Land, and The Man Who Didn’t Call – opening up about never feeling like a proper writer, the fun of killing off characters and crying over reviews. But don’t worry, they also manage plenty of nonsense, discussing farts, the art of laughing at yourself and how rich you have to be to shop at Waitrose. Music by Harry Harris. Recorded at Waterstones Gower Street and produced by Pineapple Audio Production.
4. Dawn O’Porter talks First Snogs, Asparagus Wee, and Death29:43The always honest and always gorgeously-fringed Dawn O’Porter is the latest member to join the exclusive Hot Mess Clubhouse. The author, writer and TV star joins host Lucy Vine to talk about her new book, So Lucky, as well as Dawn's other amazing career achievements, which include writing a musical and launching her own podcast. She also opens up about a variety of important issues close to her heart, including Beyonce, the kids question, thin eyebrows, being an annoying teenager, and other totally normal stuff like whether the moon landing really happened or not. Music by Harry Harris. Recorded at Waterstones Piccadilly and produced by Pineapple Audio Production.
3. Rose Heiney talks Grease, toxic friendships, and Bill Bryson36:34Screenwriter, playwright and general genius, Rose Heiney joins the Hot Mess Clubhouse this week. Speaking to host Lucy Vine she talks about her varied career starting with her first novel, The Days of Judy B, which was nominated for The Times/South Bank Show Breakthrough Award. She’s since written stage plays, radio shows, and for TV series, including Miranda and Fresh Meat. Earlier this year, Rose’s stage show Original Death Rabbit, starring Kimberley Nixon, won critical acclaim and is now available to buy from Nick Hern Books or on Amazon. She’s currently a writer on Armando Iannucci’s new HBO show Avenue 5. Listen to Lucy and Rose talk people pleasing, quitting Grease, and how Bill Bryson inspired her writing career. Music by Harry Harris. Recorded at Waterstones Gower Street and produced by Pineapple Audio Production.