Growing Through Grief
Anticipatory Grief | End of Life
Although all of us know deep down in our hearts that our parents will leave us at some point, it is still hard to deal with their loss. It is a tough call, even for grief and trauma specialists who have the tools to deal with grief more gracefully than someone unprepared.
Visiting us today is the amazing Professor Theresa Agostinelli, a Certified Mental Health and Wellness Coach, Speaker, Teacher, Certified Psychotherapist, and a Trauma Recovery specialist. She is also CEO, Licensed Psychotherapist, and Professor at Glen Mills Coaching and Consulting, and Speaker, Coach, and Teacher at John Maxwell Team.
Professor Theresa's mother is in the final stage of her life after battling for a couple of years with dementia. In this show, she kindly shared how she and her family are dealing and getting ready with her mother's transition. We go through the importance of dealing with trauma and grief to prevent some conditions, learning to accept and forgive, and human's need for looking for meaning in every life event. Theresa also talked about the interesting concept of developmental stages of grief and why it is essential to acknowledge the different ways people grieve at different ages.
Tune in and listen to episode 28 of Growing Through Grief and take a close look at anticipatory grief and the best way to get ready for a loved one's transition.
Some Questions I Ask:
- Would you like to share a little about yourself and then share a compelling grief story? (2:42)
- How does someone with your background deal with the transition of her mother? (5:40)
- In my mind, trauma happens first, then we grieve, and if we don't heal the grief, it could lead to mental illness. What's your perspective on that? (9:54)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- What are some of the tools Professor Theresa is using to deal with her mother's transition (7:28)
- How can we transform grief into temporary suffering and not a chronic pain that sticks with us (13:18)
- How powerful acceptance and forgiveness can be (16:25)
- What are the developmental ages of grief (20:54)
- Glen Mills Coaching & Consulting website
Connect with Theresa: