The Green Room with Tiana Speter
Episode 27 | Sam Nelson Harris (X Ambassadors) | 12-11-2021
CONTENT WARNING: This podcast contains discussion of mental health. If you are suffering from any of the issues that have been discussed or need assistance, please contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636.
A musician, a composer, an actor and now a podcast creator: Sam Nelson Harris, aka the frontman for American pop rockers X Ambassadors, has many strings to his creative bow.
Now in 2021, armed with a brand new release, a third full-length X Ambassadors outing titled The Beautiful Liar, Harris has simultaneously now also branched out into the land of podcasts, with an accompanying audio drama series also titled The Beautiful Liar detailing a gripping coming-of-age-meets-superhero-origin story, as well as a heartfelt accompaniment to Harris and his brother and bandmate Casey Harris' experience growing up devouring supernatural radio dramas.
The road to a podcast was uncomplicated in terms of concept; The Beautiful Liar itself embraced both the Harris brothers’ real life experiences, including Casey’s experience having been legally blind since birth. But despite the inevitable hurdles both have traversed and overcome in the lead up, The Beautiful Liar, both podcast and album, offers a raw and relatable insight into life in general.
Join Sam this week on 'The Green Room' as he chats storytelling, concept albums & the stories behind this new podcast series.
IN THIS EPISODE WE DISCUSS:
- The role of storytelling and the eventual evolution of both the X Ambassadors recent album The Beautiful Liar and the brand new accompanying narrative podcast of the same name - and how the podcast was briefly nearly going to be a musical
- Embracing ambition, authenticity and affirmation in a variety of creative settings - and why they are included in these latest projects
- The importance of sharing messages of empowerment and inclusivity, and how the underlying themes of The Beautiful Liar podcast connect personally for Harris, his brother Casey and the rest of the band
- How X Ambassadors hit their most ambitious sonic territory yet for The Beautiful Liar, and the intention behind creating the album
- Why Harris declares himself as a "psycho", his realisation that he didn't have everything in life sorted, and how these things ultimately impacted his songwriting for the new album (and lent some comedic tinges to the new podcast)
- How Schitt's Creek starlet Emily Hampshire became part of The Beautiful Liar podcast, and how her character Shadow was conjured
- The moment(s) that Harris got to embrace a lifelong love of dance with the clip for My Own Monster, why he's officially a "dancer" now, and how performing and being outside his comfort zone informs and inspires his passion in all creative pursuits
- What it's been like for Harris to finally be able to get back onstage since the COVID-19 pandemic kicked off - and a trip down memory lane to the first ever official X Ambassadors shows (and why a keyboard flew into the audience at one gig)
- Who some fictional and real life superheroes are that Harris most admires (tune in X Men and drama class fans)
- And Harris reveals what he always has with him in his green room backstage - and it's a handy tip for all the singers out there!