Company Matters, In Conversation With…. (Part 1)
This is the inaugural episode of ‘In Conversation With….’. A series of episodes where members of Link Group’s company secretarial team, Company Matters, get under the skin of everything happening in our industry.
To kick things off, our very own Michael Conway spoke with two distinguished guests about the role of the Company Secretary from a Non-Executive Director’s (or NED's) perspective. The guests were Louis Cooper, CEO of the Non-executive Directors Association and Liz McMeikan, Senior Independent Director and Remuneration Committee Chair at Unite Group plc, Remuneration Committee Chair at McBride and ESG Committee Chair at Dalata Hotel Group plc.
For more insights and to find out more about Company Matters, visit www.companymatters.co.uk
View all episodes
33. Does investor perception really matter?22:26In this episode, you can listen back to a conversation with Paolo Casamassima who heads up our Global Market Intelligence team of Orient Capital, the Investor Relations division of Link Group. This discussion was an opportunity for Paulo to talk about his background, and take us through some of the trends taking shape in the IR industry and beyond.If you'd like to reach out to Paolo, you can connect with him on LinkedIn at - https://www.linkedin.com/in/paolo-casamassima-68380417/You can also find out more about Orient Capital at - https://www.orientcap.com/
32. Share plan trends in 2023 and beyond13:32In this episode, Gemma Owens grabbed a coffee with Link Group’s very own share plan expert Helen Hopkins. The resulting conversation covers insights from Helen’s 35 years of experience, as well as some top tips around some of the changes coming into effect this year to UK share plans, including the introduction of interest rates to Save As You Earn Plans. If you’d like to find out more and take part in HM Treasury’s call for evidence which Helen and Gemma discussed, you can go to https://www.gov.uk/government/news/employee-share-scheme-shake-up-to-help-boost-growth You can also reach out to Helen and Gemma any time via their details below. email@example.com@linkgroup.co.uk
31. Are you up-to-date with the changes taking place to the UK Corporate Governance Code?14:07In this episode, Link Group’s very own Steve Playford sat down with David Styles, who leads the Corporate Governance and Stewardship Team at the Financial Reporting Council to talk us through some of the changes underway to the UK Corporate Governance Code, and how you can get involved in their open consultation. If you’d like to find out about the FRC and the changes to the UK Corporate Governance Code taking place, go to www.frc.org.uk And if you’d like to learn more about our Ahead community for corporate governance professionals, you can sign up to this free programme at https://www.companymatters.co.uk/ahead/
30. What’s next for the IPO market in London?10:30In this episode, we playback a conversation recorded at London Stock Exchange Studios between Link Group’s Kris Berry-Trow, Steve Playford and Katherine Taylor on IPO trends in London in 2023, and what to expect in the future.If you are considering life on the public markets, and want to find out how the team at Link Group can help you on your journey to success, go to https://www.linkgroup.eu/services/services/initial-public-offering/
29. Social mobility at board level01:03:51What are the barriers to social mobility within organisations? And how might they be overcome in the future to ensure that leadership represents a wider base of society, from all walks of life.We discussed this and more at our recent Ahead event where our very own Steve Playford hosted expert speakers Suzanne Courtney from Aon, Ann Francke OBE from Chartered Management Institute and Ruth Odih from Centrica plc. This session also featured a special introduction from Kathy Cong, Managing Director of Company Matters, where she explained why this topic is so important to her. Ahead is our community for corporate governance professionals, so if you’d like to receive updates regarding industry news, thought-leadership and invitations to our upcoming events from our corporate markets division, you can sign up to this free programme at --> https://www.companymatters.co.uk/ahead/
28. What’s next for company remuneration policy?54:44Listen back to our first Ahead event of 2023 where our very own Gemma Owens welcomed Sonia Gilbert from Clifford Chance, Jeremy Edwards from Baker McKenzie, and Eddie Arcari from D.F. King to an interactive panel session to discuss remuneration trends anticipated in 2023. With 55% of FTSE 100 issuers taking their policies to the vote this year, it really is the year of Rem! Ahead is our community for corporate governance professionals, so if you’d like to receive updates regarding industry news, thought-leadership and invitations to our upcoming events from our corporate markets division, you can sign up to this free programme at --> https://www.companymatters.co.uk/ahead/
27. Is it time to change how we view the AGM?11:39We recently hosted two events for our clients and industry partners to help drive improvements around how companies run their AGM, or any other form of shareholder meeting.Each event featured a brilliant presentation from Maureen Beresford and Kelvin Ernest from the Financial Reporting Council (FRC) on new guidance they’ve issued to help make AGMs more simple, accessible and effective. We therefore decided to sit them down afterwards with our very own Steve Playford so they could share some insights.If you’d like to find out more information about the Financial Reporting Council, their new guidance and more – go to www.frc.org.uk
25. Corporate governance mid-year review01:00:00In this episode, we play back highlights from a recent event with where Kathy Cong, MD of Company Matters spoke to Maureen Beresford, Head of Corporate Governance at Financial Reporting Council, and Link Group's Courtney Menzies and Jai Baker about the corporate governance trends and highlights of the year so far, as well as what's to come in the second half 2022.This event was brought to you through our Ahead programme. Ahead is a community for governance professionals to discover new ideas, discuss industry trends and connect with like-minded people. If you’d like to join this free programme, visit https://www.companymatters.co.uk/ahead/