Get Ready Sunshine Coast
Building resilience to disaster in children
Essential listening for any parent or caregiver. We want children and young people to be included in conversations about disasters. Educating kids about disasters empowers them to have important discussions with their friends and families. This episode includes insight and advice from a youth disaster engagement specialist and primary school educator.
View all episodes
1. Bushfires34:49What would you do if you looked outside your home and a raging tornado of flames was coming towards you? In this episode, you'll hear from people who lived through the 2019 Peregian fire ember storm, including one woman who lost her house. Queensland Fire and Emergency Services representatives recount their memories of this lifechanging event and share practical tips on what everyone can do to prepare for bushfires.
2. Pandemics38:00In this episode we hear from a Sunshine Coast local who was among the first Australian residents to be treated for COVID-19. A former local living in the United Kingdom shares her experience of life as a paramedic during the COVID-19 pandemic and Queensland Health's pandemic experts share their knowledge.
3. Storms29:43In 2017, Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie, smashed into Australia's mainland near Airlie Beach in Queensland. By the time the cyclone reached the Sunshine Coast it had been downgraded to a tropical low but left a path of destruction in its wake. In this episode, a local couple share their experience of this severe weather event, including what happened when a huge tree smashed through their front verandah. A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Officer shares his expertise and tips to help everyone prepare for storms.
5. Emotional wellbeing during and after a disaster33:31During a disaster you will most likely experience a range of emotions like shock, fear, helplessness, regret, anger, frustration and disappointment. In this episode you’ll hear from Red Cross and Queensland Health experts who share valuable information and insight into the journey of life during and after a disaster.
6. Neighbours28:23In this episode we help everyone appreciate just how important neighbours are and the role they play in forming resilience to disaster. A community development specialist shares advice on building strong communities and one of the Sunshine Coast’s most famous, friendly neighbourhoods come together to share their story.