171 - Eric Wargo on Precognitive Dreamwork and The Philosophy of Time Travel
This week we welcome back anthropologist and science writer Eric Wargo, for a conversation about his book Precognitive Dreamwork and The Long Self — as well as: how tautology (not paradox) rules a time travel universe, what it means to become a time-faring species, the future of precognitive technologies, the concern of a quantum computing financial singularity, why lying to yourself about your own future-sight might be of evolutionary benefit, why retrocausalists don’t believe in randomness, how culture is a tesseract and dreams are future fossils, the controversy of divinatory astrology, and how pre-shocks of future traumas explain some of the more puzzling facts of history.
If you value this show and would like to see it thrive, support Future Fossils on Patreon and/or please leave a good review on Apple Podcasts! As a patron you get two extra episodes a month, invites to our book club, and new writing, art, and music.
• Buy the books we talk about from the Future Fossils shop at Bookshop.org
• Thanks to Naomi Most for helping edit the first half of this episode! It isn’t easy work.
If you like thinking about mind-expanding future technologies, I recommend you check out David Kelley’s WeFunder for a new human-AI symbiosis governance system that seems like it could shake things up in a good way. If you know people who like to fund tech projects, this one seems worth checking out. (David’s Transhumanity.net is a supporter of the show.)
✨ Support the countless hours of research and production that go into Future Fossils:
• Venmo: @futurefossils
• Patreon: patreon.com//michaelgarfield
• BTC: 1At2LQbkQmgDugkchkP6QkDJCvJ5rv3Jm
• ETH: 0xfD2BC66586FA4FBA189992E9B0037CD5cb9673EF
Nautilus - This Tenet Shows Time Travel May Be Possible
Johnjoe McFadden - Quantum Evolution
Jonathan Zap - Crossing The Event Horizon
Jacques Vallee - The Invisible College
Ted Chiang - Stories of your Life and Others
Ted Chiang - Exhalation
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse Five
Timothy Morton - Hyperobjects
Russell Targ & Jean Houston - Limitless Mind
Jessica Flack - “Coarse-Graining as a Downward Causation Mechanism”
✨ Affiliate Links:
• I transcribe this show with help from Podscribe.ai — which I highly recommend to other podcasters. (If you’d like to help edit transcripts for the Future Fossils book project, please email or DM me: Email | Twitter | Instagram)
• BioTech Life Sciences makes anti-aging and performance enhancement formulas that work directly at the level of cellular nutrition, both for ingestion and direct topical application. I’m a firm believer in keeping NAD+ levels up and their skin solution helped me erase a year of pandemic burnout from my face.
• Help regulate stress, get better sleep, recover from exercise, and/or stay alert and focused without stimulants, with the Apollo Neuro wearable. I have one and while I don’t wear it all the time, when I do it’s sober healthy drugs.