170 - The Ungoogleable Michaelangelo Rides The Transtempouroboros and Waits for The End of The World to End
This week’s episode is a true return to form, in which my old friend Michael Jacobs (aka The Ungoogleable Michaelangelo, aka Void Denizen) and I talk about pretty much everything — including plenty of things I honestly can’t believe I spoke about so freely.
Every once in a rare while I have a discussion on Future Fossils that truly exemplifies the spirit in which this show was born — the truly omnivorous amateur enthusiasm that pervaded it before I started worrying about defining these investigations for an audience.
Here is just a set of sampling slices from our most heartfelt and epic yarn, in which Michael talks about taking care of his father, who suffers Alzheimer’s; about getting back out of city life and onto the road in the American Southwest, communing with the landscape; about nonduality and artistry and memory and transpersonal somatics and their implications…
It is an honor to meld with this guy, especially as my first not-exactly-post-pandemic, back-in-person podcast with a friend in the same room since God Knows When. Throughout this episode: he and I bat 1000 on the revelatory portmanteaus:
The IcarOS, Genre Fluid, Vagabondage, The Industry and The Artistry, (my Dantien used to be a) Dantwienty, (and of course) The Transtempouroboros (tasty!).
Come out as a future fossil on Patreon for another 25 minutes of this awesome conversation, plus two extra episodes a month, invites to our book club, new weird inspired essays, art and music that I labor on late night sometimes for months, and other things that help me share the wondrous inquiry. And please leave a good review on Apple Podcasts!
(Where people go to be weird enough to make it.)
(Buy the books we talk about. You support local booksellers and I get a cut. Bezos gets nothing.)
Episode edited by this tired guy right here. Theme music by Future Fossils co-host Evan “Skytree” Snyder.
“If time is circular, you can be behind the curve and ahead of the curve at the same time.”
Life transformations; place-based spirituality; the praxis, challenge, and path of caregiving; knowing when it’s time to shake things up; time, loss, memory, the shedding of ego…realizing you’ve been forgotten; Improv vs. composition; genii loci; when the doer and the doing are the same; time travel in the music studio; the difference between emphasis on UFO craft or the aliens themselves; scrutinizing my UFO experiences as potentially “just” a social hallucinogenic placebo effect or accidental transpersonal charismatic gaslighting…
FF 117 with Eric Wargo
Void Denizen, Stewart Brand, EOTO, Tyson Yunkaporta, Jeff Buckley, David Bowie, Ween, Mike Patton, Yeasayer, Ben Harper, Bo Burnham, eter and The Wolf
Martin Nowak et al.’s The evolution of syntactic communication (paper)
“Time binding” was coined by Alfred Horzybski (who also said, “The map is not the territory.”)
Rolf Potts’ Vagabonding
David Eagleman’s Sum
Arthur C. Clarke & Stephen Baxter’s The Light of Other Days
Pola Olaixarac’s Dark Constellations
David Abram, Becoming Animal
John C. Wright’s Count To A Trillion and The Golden Age
Peter Watts’ Blindsight
Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse Five
Aldous Huxley’s Heaven and Hell
Westworld, Constantine, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Altered Carbon, Coco,
Seven Pounds (re: organ transplants),
Dark Crystal & Labyrinth (re: Brian Froud),
Lucy with Scarlett Johannson (re: black goo),
✨ Products I Endorse:
• I transcribe this show with help from Podscribe.ai — which I highly recommend to other podcasters. (If you’d like to help edit transcripts for the Future Fossils book project, please email or DM me: Email | Twitter | Instagram)
• BioTech Life Sciences makes anti-aging and performance enhancement formulas that work directly at the level of cellular nutrition, both for ingestion and direct topical application. I’m a firm believer in keeping NAD+ levels up and their skin solution helped me erase a year of pandemic burnout from my face.
• Help regulate stress, get better sleep, recover from exercise, and/or stay alert and focused without stimulants, with the Apollo Neuro wearable. I have one and while I don’t wear it all the time, when I do it’s sober healthy drugs.
✨ Support this show:
• Venmo: @futurefossils
• Patreon: patreon.com//michaelgarfield
• BTC: 1At2LQbkQmgDugkchkP6QkDJCvJ5rv3Jm
• ETH: 0xfD2BC66586FA4FBA189992E9B0037CD5cb9673EF