Fingers On Buzzers
99 READ ALL ABOUT IT - BOOK SPECIAL
Season 7, Ep. 99
Extra, extra, read all about it... well, from the 12th October 2023 you CAN, as Lucy and Jenny have finally given the world what it wants and put pen to paper to bring you the first Fingers on Buzzers book 'Fingers on Buzzers: From Bullseye to Pointless, a Celebratory Journey Through the History of the Great British Quiz'.Not only will you find a wealth of quizzy knowledge from our wonderful hosts, but we also get some handpicked advice from the incredible guests who have joined us along the way.The book is out on 12th October, but you can pre order now (link below) and it will be available in all good bookshops.You can also get your hands on a copy a whole day before the general public by coming to the next FOB live show at The Museum of Comedy on Weds 11th October 2023 in London. It's a double record , so two shows for the price of one, which obviously means two AMAZING guests in the form of Tim Vine and Charlie Higson - full info and tickets are here-Museum of Comedy - What's OnIn the meantime, enjoy this book based episode recorded at the publishers no doubt.... my my, how they've changed.
View all episodes
110. 110 Quizmas Stocking Fillers56:14It's that time again, when our hosts get all festive and invite past guests back to contribute a question in their quizmas open house!It's a yuletide trip down memory lane, where the wonderful people who were kind enough to appear on the show are also generous enough to be bothered for MORE of their time and come up with a question that will stump our Lucy and Jen - and possibly you, too!And this isn't just ANY quizmas special, as there's an extra treat at the bottom of Santa's stocking, which is a veritable box of delights, as well as being incredibly funny. Thanks to all our wonderful guests from this year - and years gone by - but most of all, thanks to all of YOU for your continued support and we look forward to seeing more of you in 2024. Happy Christmas, from Lucy, Jenny, and Producer Amanda XXXBUY THE FOB BOOK HERE!Fingers on Buzzers: From Bullseye... by Ryan, Jenny (amazon.co.uk)
109. 109 ALWAYS a Crossword45:12We're back to the cutthroat world of crosswords in this episode, as we hear from The Times Crossword Champion 2023, Matthew Marcus!Matthew tells us about his journey to the top and how he managed to snatch victory from the reigning champ.Matthew also shares his quizzing life with us and it would appear that he's not too shabby at that either, also doing pretty well in US quiz show, Jeopardy … although some of the online attention he attracted is right up there with the most crazy conspiracy theories.AND, Jen shares with a quiz she made-up with her family, which will keep you and yours occupied all over the festive season, start brushing up on your music knowledge now to be at the head of the leader board!BUY THE FOB BOOK HERE!Fingers on Buzzers: From Bullseye... by Ryan, Jenny (amazon.co.uk)
108. 108 Banishing Boredom with Board Games36:08As Christmas was looming large at the time of recording, Lucy and Jenny are fully focused on how to keep the family entertained on the big day itself, and so test out two of this year's big hitters -and one could argue rivals - in the festive boardgame market.How does playing Taskmaster IRL compare with an in-person version of Richard Osman's House off Games?Our hosts get involved and have a play, to help you make that all important decision.We also find out how well our Lucy's quizzing knowledge has moved on since Jen started coaching her all those years ago ....BUY THE FOB BOOK HERE!Fingers on Buzzers: From Bullseye... by Ryan, Jenny (amazon.co.uk)
107. 107 Slapstick Quizzing, with Robin Ince56:04It's finally happened! After several attempts, diaries finally aligned with the stars and Lucy and Jenny could welcome the delightful Robin Ince to the show... Well, almost aligned, as it turned out that Jenny had to dash off for a secret TV gig during Robin's visit, but for a short time, we were able to have all three in the same room. Robin, as you can imagine, has infinite stories about quizzing on and off TV, and tells us why a quiz experience from his youth made him resist Mastermind for so many years. Lucy and Robin also discuss who would be on their ultimate pub quiz team and which comedians would not get an invite. Plus, we gain some incredible general knowledge about the world of slapstick comedy and Robin uses the short time he had with our Jen to ask her some burning questions. BUY THE FOB BOOK HERE!Fingers on Buzzers: From Bullseye... by Ryan, Jenny (amazon.co.uk)
106. 106 Going Blankety Blank, with Nigel Crowle29:32This week, Lucy and Jenny are delighted to welcome a man to the show who has worked in more TV shows than even he can care to remember, from Blankety Blank, to Odd One Out with Paul Daniels, and Talking Telephone numbers in between.Nigel Crowle has had an incredible career in TV and radio production, working on a huge number of shows and tells us about some of the productions he's been behind, and how he had a hand in setting-up Lembit Opik with Sian Lloyd!Nigel takes us on a fantastic journey of nostalgia, as we revisit some iconic shows and moments in TV history, through his eyes, as well as what went on when the cameras were turned off! BUY THE FOB BOOK HERE!Fingers on Buzzers: From Bullseye... by Ryan, Jenny (amazon.co.uk)
105. 105 Booking Time with Lucy & Jenny30:10As the need for filling up the Christmas stocking gathers pace (at the time of record and release, anyhow) Lucy and Jenny have decided we deserve an early Christmas treat in the form of a snippet of their book, Fingers on Buzzers: From Bullseye to Pointless, a celebratory journey through the history of the Great British Quiz!As well as being available online and from all good bookshops in print, it's also in audiobook form, and as listeners know, Jenny and Lucy really are a proper treat for the ears. Not only do we get a glimpse of what to expect from their book, but we also get a look behind the covers of two curious tomes from the past, including The Antiques Roadshow quiz book, presented to us by lovely listener, Alan Dunn AND we also delve into a quiz book from a star of the silver screen and not a lot of people know that he loves setting questions about historical happenings with incredibly tenuous links to days of the year....You were lonely supposed to answer the bloody questions.BUY THE FOB BOOK HERE!Fingers on Buzzers: From Bullseye... by Ryan, Jenny (amazon.co.uk)
104. 104 The Hundrethish Episode32:21Join Lucy and Jenny in their wild celebrations of the show's centenary episode, when you've guessed it, the quiz they night away with the theme ONE HUNDRED as a guide to the games and questions.It seems there are indeed a hundred ways to quiz your lovers, and the team show no signs of stopping now and are certainly not letting the fact that this is the one hundred and FOURTH episode stop them. So get involved in the 100th(ish) edition of FOB and here's to one hundred more!
103. 103 Hal Cruttenden's Quizzy Scrum38:37It's FOB Friday, and then team are joined by the wonderous comedian and competitive quizzer, Hal Cruttenden so he can have a good vent about all the quiz shows he's appeared on, but more importantly, all the shows he's yet to have been asked to do!Lucy also compiles a quiz which is as tenuous as it is wonderful, to connect the worlds of rugby and films... it's about as easy as it sounds.And the team devise a new game show which Hal can host, embracing his 'mean' side, Anne Robinson has NOTHING on this guy!Don't forget to get your hands on the FOB BOOK!Fingers on Buzzers: From Bullseye to Pointless, a celebratory journey through the history of the Great British Quiz Fingers on Buzzers by Jenny Ryan | Waterstones
102. 102 Crossing Words, with Mick Hodgkin41:57Most quizzers love taking their time over a crossword at the weekend and might even be partial to a puzzler book to take on holiday, but what's it like to work in the worlds of puzzles and crosswords professionally? Well, Jenny and Lucy decided to invite The Times and Sunday Times puzzles editor and crossword setter, Mick Hodgkin into the studio to pick his brains about this and what happened at this year's Times Crossword Championships, which sounded like a nail-biting affair!We also hear from Mick about his appearances on Only Connect and Egg Heads, as well as why his past career meant he often voiced the roles of world dictators and despot. Plus, the gang indulge in some TV nostalgia when they see how well the quiz aspect of game show 'Crosswits' stands up today and why we need to bring back televised sudoku! Don't forget to get your hands on the FOB BOOK! Fingers on Buzzers: From Bullseye to Pointless, a celebratory journey through the history of the Great British Quiz Fingers on Buzzers by Jenny Ryan | Waterstones