BFC Fashion Forum
Is fashion overlooking Gen X and Baby Boomers?
Creative Director Susan Bender Whitfield is joined by Lucinda Chambers and JoAni Johnson to discuss age diversity in the fashion industry. From supermodel revivals to intergenerational teaching, the three discuss the importance of age representation in creative fields.
View all episodes
10. How the rules of the red carpet have changed30:04Entertainment editor Josh Smith is joined by celebrity stylist Rose Forde and red carpet photographer Richard Young to discuss the past, present and future of the red carpet. From iconic fashion moments and red carpet critics to present day political statements and challenging gendered dressing, how have the rules of the red carpet changed for good?
9. What's next for Nicholas Daley?30:032022 BFC/GQ Designer Fashion Fund recipient Nicholas Daley is joined by Tan France to discuss his journey in the fashion industry, from his studies at Central St Martins, receiving NEWGEN support, to winning the 2022 BFC/GQ Designer Fashion Fund.The two discuss Nicholas's ongoing influences, his Scottish and Jamaican heritage and early musical interest, creative community, sustainable practices, and future ambitions.
7. Fashion’s opportunity in the Metaverse37:40Journalist Amanda Cosco is joined by Metaverse strategist Damara Ingles and co-founder of The Fabricant Amber Jae Slooten to explore fashion's opportunities within the Metaverse discussing virtual fashion shows, digital twins, NFTs and the growing digital fashion landscape.
6. Being There with Nineties Fashion Show Photographer, Gavin Bond27:59Designer, Giles Deacon, is joined by renowned 90’s fashion show photographer, Gavin Bond, ahead of his first solo exhibition at London’s Hamilton Gallery and the upcoming release of his retrospective photobook ‘Being There’. From shooting backstage during the rise of the supermodel, to being invited to the Maison’s of the great designers of the decade, Gavin and Giles discuss what it was like, being there.
5. Fashion on Screen28:55Writer & Fashion Historian Shelby Ivey Christie hosts a conversation with costume designer Colleen Atwood and Katy Lubin, VP of Brand at Lyst about the impact of fashion on screen. From blockbuster films to streaming platforms, explore the ways that fashion and costume plays a role in character development and on screen storytelling while influencing how we all dress.
4. Non-traditional entries into fashion30:17Outreach practitioner Berni Yates speaks to Foday Dumbuya, founder and creative director of LABRUM London and Georgina McManus, chief legal officer at Manolo Blahnik about their individual journeys into the fashion industry, through non-traditional means. From short courses, community mentorships and lesser known roles within fashion businesses, they explore alternative routes into the creative industries outside of higher education fashion and arts institutions.
3. Intersection of fashion & beauty28:04Writer and journalist Dominic Cadogan speaks to BFC NEW WAVE: Creatives & makeup artists Raisa Flowers and Mata Marielle about the intersections of fashion and beauty. Discussing their rise to success in both industries, uplifting the next generation of creatives and the joy and power in Black creative collaboration.
2. Rooting our sustainability in action31:00Activist and content creator Aditi Mayer is joined by communications consultant, George MacPherson, and Josephine Philips, founder of sustainability start-up Sojo, to discuss the current state of the sustainable fashion conversation and how the industry, businesses and consumers can root future sustainability conversations with tangible goals and action.