The life of a Third Culture Kid therapist
86 Blocks to Journaling26:19Journaling comes up a lot as a tool to help us process our stories. In this episode Rachel explores why journaling can be useful to us, what blocks we may face and some options to open up journaling as an option for us.
85. 85 Social Capital - TCK impact audit!17:22Rachel came across the idea of social capital in her sociology studies, but sees it come up a lot for Third Culture Kids. If social capital is the idea of the social networks that make us feel connected and embedded in our communities, do TCKs feel they have enough?
84. 84 A loft of magical things14:45Rachel's getting her loft boarded... and it's bringing up some Third Culture Kid stuff.
83. 83 My Favourite Things...17:38"What's your favourite...?" This is not a fun question for me. For what occasion? In which country? In what language? Defining our preferences can be tough as TCKs, and this episode explores why and how we can approach this differently.
82. 82 Indicators Transition is Going Well (or Not)36:12Here again, Kristi Steele of www.kc360.co is asking questions many of us do about how TCKs may experience transition but this one is especially for those caregivers who want to be active participants in this challenging chapter of life.
81. 81 Talking TCKs on BBC Radio Lincolnshire10:42On May 19th I spoke to Melvyn Prior on BBC Radio Lincolnshire about TCKs and my book "Incredible Lives and the Courage to Live Them: Thoughts of a Third Culture Kid therapist".If you are an adult TCK, you probably sense that the multicultural, high mobility experiences of your childhood continue to impact your life in some way now. Making sense of the impact of these experiences, however, can feel overwhelming, especially if we have long experience of our stories being met with bafflement and incredulity.My hope is that this collection of my thoughts over the last seven years of working with Third Culture Kids will create space for you to explore and make sense of the incredible life you’ve lived.More information about ordering the book can be found here: https://www.explorelifestory.com/book/More of Melvyn's shows are available on BBC Sounds: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p001gr43
80. 80 TCK Romance and Relationships23:48This episode comes to you thanks to Kristi Steele of www.kc360.co whose dedication to aiding college students transition well has extended to reaching out to me! Kristi asks me in this episode about what TCKs need to be considering (and what their parents should be aware of!) around the particular challenges they may face around romantic relationships as they start their college years.
79. 79 Now or never, the impact of the truncated timeline16:49Many TCKs struggle with a sense of a shortened timeline - leading to a sense of 'now or never'. Rachel ponders how this impacts us and how her garden is stretching her ability to 'wait and see'.
78. 78 The Successful TCK15:39We often carry a sense of how a "good" TCK life should look - and the burden of this can be crushing.