Empower Talks - Insurance Careers
Simon Evans - The Insurance War on Talent, Who's Winning?
Sam talks with talent and recruitment authority Simon Evans about the challenges of attracting and retaining talent to the insurance industry. Sam and Simon tackle the complex issue of the ‘War for talent’, looking at how and why it has impacted the industry, what is being done about it, and what can be done to bridge the current skills gap.
Simon shares with Sam what he has learnt on his journey from the world of banking to Head of International Talent Acquisitions for AIG. He discusses the benefits of working in insurance over banking and provides valuable guidance for those who are considering embarking on a career in insurance.
Whether you’re interested in interview technique, what companies are looking for in candidates, or how best to progress within your organisation, this episode has something for everyone.
Springboard - Empower Development’s Networking Event
Books recommended by Simon:
‘Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance’ by Angela Duckworth
‘Start With Why’ by Simon Sinek
‘The Infinite Game’ by Simon Sinek
View all episodes
30. Felicity & Megan - Breaking Insurance Stereotypes01:00:34Sam sits down with Megan and Felicity, both participants in the Zurich graduate scheme, who are also the creative minds behind the TikTok page ‘The Life Of A Grad’. With over 10,000 likes, the duo aims to challenge prevailing insurance stereotypes and promote the potential of insurance careers to young professionals. Through ‘The Life Of A Grad’, they also document their own career journey, offering a personal touch to their advocacy for the insurance sector. They share their experiences surrounding their growing TikTok page, discussing the steps they took outside their comfort zones to generate content, and the learning curve involved in managing the account. Addressing the branding issue insurance encounters with young students, Sam, Megan, and Felicity delve into possible solutions to increase awareness. They highlight the merits of working in insurance and the array of departments available, suggesting a broad scope of opportunities for everyone. Through their TikTok platform, Megan and Felicity provide a fresh perspective on insurance careers, offering insights to young professionals on the diverse career options in the industry. This episode highlights their effort to use modern digital platforms as a bridge to connect with the traditional insurance sector, aiming to make insurance careers more accessible and appealing to a younger audience.Links: Life Of A Grad - TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@lifeofagradApprentice Life – TikTok: https://email@example.com Zurich Graduate Schemes: https://www.zurich.co.uk/careers/graduate-schemesZurich Internships: https://www.zurich.co.uk/careers/internships Felicity Irvine – LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/felicity-irvine-8b4449158/?originalSubdomain=ukMegan Jenkins – LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/megan-jenkins-4601741b7/?originalSubdomain=uk
29. Guy Munnoch - Rising through the Ranks and Redefining Roles01:09:32Sam talks with Guy Munnoch, Managing Director of Rupert Morgan, about his exceptional career trajectory, shaped by 21-year milestones, moving from the British Army to the insurance world and beyond. With over four decades of diverse experiences, Guy's journey is nothing short of impressive.Delving into the early stages of his career, Guy underscores the importance of the lessons he learned in his 21 years with Army. Then, he elaborates on his shift to the insurance sector, detailing the hurdles he faced, his strategies to overcome them, and his rise to CEO. His responsibilities at Zurich resulted in an international assignment to South Africa where he reported directly to the royal family. Throughout his insurance journey, he gained profound industry insights and experienced significant transformations.Currently, Guy is navigating his third major career phase, undertaking diverse roles and confronting varied challenges. This phase has seen him assist retirees in sculpting gratifying retirement plans, assume Non-Executive Director positions, and even achieve a World Record!Guy Munnoch's story is a testament to adaptability and seizing opportunities. From the Army's disciplined environments to the dynamic world of insurance, he faced challenges head-on, reflecting on the psychological adjustments required at each stage. Enjoy this episode and discover the richness of Guy's journey, offering invaluable lessons for career navigation and personal growth.LinksLinkedIn - Guy Munnochhttp://firstname.lastname@example.org@gmail.com+44(0)7969 082165
28. Joanna Hitchcock - 5 Promotions in 7 Years53:27Sam talks with Joanna Hitchcock, Underwriting Manager at AIG about her exceptional career path, marked by five promotions in seven years, her ventures in international roles, and her fearless approach to stepping out of her comfort zone.With less than a decade in the insurance industry, Joanna's rise to success is impressive. Uncover the key factors driving her achievements, from her unwavering determination to her passion for tackling challenges head-on.Sam talks to Joanna about her international relocations to Paris and Dubai, and the obstacles she faced along the way. Joanna talks about the experience and broader industry insights she gained during these periods and how she embraced and learned from the challenges presented by new cultural environments.Joanna Hitchcock's journey serves as an inspiration, showcasing the power of resilience, adaptability, and embracing opportunities. Listen to this episode to gain invaluable insights for your own career development and growth.Joanna’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/joanna-hitchcock-bsc-hons-acii-203b38153/
27. Mike Burle - Head of Marine & Deputy Active Underwriter at Liberty Specialty Markets01:07:33Sam talks with Mike Burle, Head of Marine & Deputy Active Underwriter at Liberty Specialty Markets, in an engaging conversation that explores various aspects of the insurance industry. With 30 years of experience, Mike brings a wealth of knowledge and insights to the discussion.Beginning the conversation, Sam delves into Mike's journey and how he entered the insurance field. They uncover some of the milestones that led him to his current role, highlighting experiences that helped shaped his career.Sam and Mike delve into the qualities that define a ‘good boss’ in the insurance industry. Mike shares his perspective, emphasising the importance of a growth mindset and continuous personal development, which are vital for progressing in this rapidly evolving industry.Peering behind the curtains of a large corporate insurer, Mike offers valuable insights into the inner workings of such organisations. Mike unravels some of the intricacies and complexities of the industry, providing a unique perspective on navigating its challenges.Reflecting the digital age, Mike shares his chosen word of the year: "Visibility." He underscores the significance of maintaining an active online presence and how it can positively impact professional growth and opportunities within the insurance industry.Mike offers his opinion on the future of working in insurance and the future of Lloyds marketplace, providing a glimpse into the potential transformations and innovations that lie ahead.Drawing from his experience, Mike imparts invaluable advice on progressing and thriving in insurance careers. His wisdom and expertise serve as a valuable resource, providing practical strategies for professional growth and advancement in this dynamic industry.LinksPodcasts mentioned:https://www.thevoiceofinsurance.com/https://stevenbartlett.com/the-diary-of-a-ceo-podcast/https://www.thehighperformancepodcast.com/https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-learning-development-podcast/id1466927523https://hbr.org/podcastshttps://hbr.org/2018/01/podcast-women-at-workOther links mentioned that we hope you find interesting:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chimp-Paradox-Management-Programme-Confidence/dp/009193558Xhttps://www.insuranceinsider.com/https://www.slipcase.com/https://www.lloyds.com/news-and-insights/lloyds-labhttps://insurtechuk.org/
26. Samantha Ridgewell - Growing Your Own Business43:10This is a special edition of Empower Talks, featuring our Client Solutions Manager, Claire Shepherd, in the interviewer's seat as she chats with Sam about the latest news and updates from Empower Development. In this episode, Sam reflects on the company's most exciting successes since their last podcast 12 months ago and shares some hopes and goals for the future. Listeners can expect to hear Sam discuss the company's 5-year anniversary party, her trip to New York, TikTok, BIBA, and her recent front-page feature interview in The Journal, as well as much more. Don't miss out on this exclusive episode!RELATED LINKS: Springboard Networking Events: https://empowerdevelopment.co.uk/young-professionals/Sam’s feature article in The Journal:https://thejournal.cii.co.uk/2023/03/02/interview-samantha-ridgewellTikTok: https://email@example.com?lang=enClaire and Sam’s podcast 12 months ago: https://shows.acast.com/empower-talks/episodes/samantha-cockcroft-empower-developmenrEmma’s Podcast:https://shows.acast.com/empower-talks/episodes/emma-ackers-learning-specialist-at-empower-developmentTosin’s Podcast: https://shows.acast.com/empower-talks/episodes/tosin-falope-senior-training-consultant-at-empower-developme
25. Tosin Falope - DE&I in Insurance01:00:34Sam sits down with Tosin Falope, a Senior Training Consultant and the newest member of the Empower Development team, to discuss her career journey and her perspective on the insurance industry. With a background in fashion and data science, as well as a strong interest in psychology and DE&I, Tosin shares her first impressions of the industry, highlighting the diversity of its culture and the broad range of networks she has already encountered.Tosin also discusses her recent completion of a counselling skills course and her certification as a Mental Health First Aider. She expresses her eagerness to attend an upcoming course that will enable her to conduct SDI (Strength Deployment Inventory) courses on behalf of Empower Development. This leads to a candid discussion where Sam shares a very personal experience and how SDI has helped her gain insight into how she manages conflict and reflects on her behaviour during a particularly stressful period in her life.RELATED LINKS:The Diary Of A CEO – Professor Steve Peters:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1hqsr5mkzAThe Chimp Paradox by Professor Steve Peters:https://chimpmanagement.com/books-by-professor-steve-peters/the-chimp-paradox/A Path through the Jungle by Professor Steve Peters:https://chimpmanagement.com/books-by-professor-steve-peters/a-path-through-the-jungle/Empower Talks - Helen Gemmell:https://shows.acast.com/empower-talks/episodes/helen-gemmell-casualty-portfolio-underwriter-at-kiEmpower Talks – Teni Tijani:https://shows.acast.com/empower-talks/episodes/teni-tijani-founder-of-ladies-that-lunch-and-associated-undeSpringboard Events:https://empowerdevelopment.co.uk/young-professionals/Tosin’s LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/tosin-falope/
24. Deborah Margolis - Quiet Quitting - Should We?01:00:42On this episode of Empower Talks, recorded on 26th October 2022, Sam talks with Employment Lawyer and friend, Deborah Margolis about chess club and ‘quiet quitting’ (mostly ‘quiet quitting’ – sorry chess fans!).Throughout the chat Sam & Deborah find themselves looking at the topic from an assortment of angles, dissecting what they think motivates someone to decide to ‘quiet quit’, and then share their choice on TikTok.Sam, with her HR background, and Deborah from an employment law perspective, pose and consider a host of questions surrounding this highly emotive topic, including:Is it unique to Gen Z or has it been around for a long time?Does it stem from the individual, the manager, or the company culture?What to do if you encounter ‘quiet quitting’ in the workplace?RELATED LINKS:Sam’s ‘Quiet Quitting’ Tik Tok: https://firstname.lastname@example.org/video/7151340496357559557Deborah’s ‘Quiet Quitting’ article: https://hrnews.co.uk/quiet-quitting-when-does-acting-your-wage-cross-the-line-and-what-is-the-employment-risk/The Diary Of A CEO, John Eckbert (Five Guys), Hiring the best people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGSZqhFFhoIDeborah’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/deborahmargolis/GQ|Littler LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/gqlittler/
23. Claire Davey - Becoming a Cyber Expert & the PhD Journey44:28Sam talks with Claire Davey (aka Cyber Claire) about her move from the corporate world, back to academia. During this transition Claire founded her own business as a Cyber Security & Risk Management Specialist & Trainer and tells how she has managed to juggle a full time PhD with the demands of a full-time entrepreneurial business.Claire’s love of learning has seen her amass a host of qualifications including her ACII, Masters, CISSP and most recently, completing a PhD in the field of alcohol/sobriety/identity. Sam and Claire hare their thoughts on the drinking culture in the insurance industry, the relationship between alcohol and networking/socialising, and Claire’s decision to stop drinking.RELATED LINKS:https://www.cyberclaire.com/https://www.linkedin.com/in/claire-g-davey/https://www.linkedin.com/company/cyberclaire/
22. Hayley Budd - Creating Innovation Opportunities54:11Sam talks with Hayley Budd about their time working together at Liberty and Hayley’s journey into the ‘clandestine world of innovation’.Hayley built her own niche career to follow her passion and shares how she created a movement and innovation community within her organisation alongside her day job. She discusses how she took the work she was doing ‘off the side of her desk’ into a role as a Business Analyst where she began moulding the job into what she wanted.After a decade working at the same company, Hayley tells Sam about her move into product innovation and the challenges she encountered being a new face in a completely different culture during a pandemic, and how she learnt the importance of social capital along the way.In this episode, Hayley addresses some of the key questions facing innovation in insurance, looking at:How we create the Insurance Company of the future?How we create new operating models?What does the underwriter of the future look like?Related Links:https://www.linkedin.com/in/hayleyrosebudd/https://www.lloyds.com/https://www.lloyds.com/news-and-insights/lloyds-labhttps://www.instech.co/https://www.instech.co/sites/instech.london/files/civicrm/persist/contribute/files/instech-london-parametric-insurance-2021-overview-preview.pdf