Empower Talks - Insurance Careers
Beth Amaro - Parental Leave, Return to Work with Confidence
In this episode, Sam chats with Beth Amaro, an experienced HR professional from the insurance sector. Beth spent seven years in Bermuda before an opportunity led her to London to progress her career in the insurance sector. Until recently, Beth worked as Head of HR at Fidelis. She has now started her own independent consultancy firm, advising companies on their HR needs. This shift has led to an interesting collaboration with Sam.
Sam and Beth discuss her career in HR, offering advice on progression. A key topic is their Leto programme, named after the goddess of motherhood and launching in October 2023. The programme is designed to support women and parents returning to work after maternity or paternity leave. Beth shares her personal experience of balancing career aspirations with motherhood and talks about the challenges many face when returning to the workforce.
Listen in to learn more about the Leto initiative and gain insights from Beth's journey in the insurance and HR sectors.
Beth's Website: www.bethamaroconsulting.co.uk
Beth's LinkedIn: https://uk.linkedin.com › beth-amaro-0a19779
More info on Leto: https://empowerdevelopment.co.uk/product/leto/
View all episodes
37. Phill Bratt - Next Generation Partner in The Legal 50001:38:19Sam talks to Phill Bratt, Partner at Keoghs London, about his specialisation in catastrophic personal injury law and his role in defending high-value personal injury claims. The episode addresses the evolving nature of legal careers, focusing on the importance of personal relationships and professional exposure. Phill provides key insights into the Ogden tables, emphasising their critical role in calculating future losses in high-value personal injury claims, particularly relevant for insurers and reinsurers. Phill shares how he discovered he had dyslexia, and he reflects on how the diagnosis has helped him in his working life, and provides invaluable career advice, stressing the importance of perseverance and seizing opportunities. His experiences and insights offer invaluable guidance for professionals navigating the dynamic and complex world of the legal profession. Drawing from his legal expertise, Phill hosts the 'London Insurance Lawyer Unbound,' podcast, and has started sharing his insights on his TikTok account (links to both are below). LINKS: London Insurance Lawyer Podcast: https://londoninsurancelawyer.com/Phill's LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/phillbratt/Phill's TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@londoninsurancelawyerPhill's Insta: https://www.instagram.com/londoninsurancelawyer
36. Alina Schatten (née Jipa) - Don’t Wait For Opportunities, Create Them49:41In this episode of Empower Talks, Sam talks to Alina Schatten (née Jipa), who, at the time of recording was Chief of Staff to the CEO, but has recently accepted the position of Integration Director at RSA UK&I. Sam and Alina discuss her career in the insurance industry, which is a compelling example of adaptability, strategic career advancement, and the value of lifelong learning.Beginning her journey with a rotational graduate programme at Hiscox, Alina seamlessly navigated through various roles, emphasising her versatility. Her proactive approach, notably reaching out to RSA's CEO, catapulted her into the influential role of Chief of Staff. Here, she demonstrates her expertise in strategic planning, project management, and supporting an executive team.Education plays a pivotal role in Alina’s career, highlighted by her pursuit of a business and management degree and an MBA. Her advocacy for continuous professional development, especially the ACII qualification, mirrors her commitment to applying academic knowledge in real-world scenarios.Alina's dedication extends beyond personal career growth to mentoring and nurturing new talent in the insurance industry. Her research on early career programmes and retention strategies underlines her commitment to fostering the next generation of professionals. Alina's journey and insights, shared with Sam, offer valuable lessons in navigating the complex yet rewarding landscape of the insurance industry.Alina's LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/alina-jipa-schatten/
35. Lorraine Harfitt - CEO at Asta, Solvency II & Lloyd's of London01:08:04In this episode, Sam chats with Lorraine Harfitt, CEO at Asta, about her diverse career journey in the insurance industry. Lorraine shares her path from Lloyd's of London to becoming CEO at Asta, discussing her roles at Lloyd's, including insights into her involvement in the Solvency II work stream.Lorraine talks about the challenges of her career, the importance of adaptability, and the role of a supportive network. She also talks about succession planning, leadership development, and the responsibilities of a CEO.Tune in to hear Lorraine's journey through the insurance sector, providing lessons on career progression, leadership, and navigating the complexities of the industry.LinksLorraine's LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/lorraine-harfitt-6ab60817/
34. Pritesh Thakrar - 10 Lessons from a Decade in Insurance55:11In this episode, Sam talks with Pritesh Thakrar, a Portfolio Analyst at Inver Re. Their conversation explores Pritesh's career journey from medicinal chemistry to his current role in insurance, including his involvement in the 'New Gen Project' initiative, which focused on creating internships for autistic individuals. They also reflect on the evolution of his career and how his diverse experiences across various organisational cultures have shaped his professional path. Pritesh has authored an article titled '10 Lessons from a Decade in Insurance'. During the episode, Sam and Pritesh examine each of these lessons in turn, offering valuable insights into both personal and professional development that extend beyond the confines of the insurance industry. The episode underscores the importance of adaptability, continuous learning, and embracing new challenges. Pritesh's insights and advice are especially valuable for those either beginning or looking to progress in the insurance sector, rendering this episode an informative and practical guide for career growth. Links:Link to Pritesh's article: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/10-lessons-from-decade-insurance-pritesh-thakrar Pritesh's LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pritesh-thakrar-67611983/
33. Grace Maxted FCII - In the Spotlight01:14:38Sam talks to Grace Maxted FCII, a pivotal associate and key creative force at Empower Development. Grace's significant impact is particularly evident in our online courses, yet her influence extends much further. Sam and Grace discuss her unique career, intertwining insurance and theatre, and reminisce about their initial collaborations at Empower Development. Additionally, they highlight some of Grace's notable career moments, revealing the depth of her professional journey. Grace, a standout conversationalist, skilfully blends wisdom, compelling facts, and a variety of engaging stories. Join us in this episode to explore Grace's unique path and learn how important she is to the Empower Development team. Recorded in May 2023.Fact check: The Tom Hanks film Grace is referring to is ‘Bridge of Spies’. Links:https://insurance.museum/ LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/grace-maxted-fcii-2702a1a4/
32. Amy Brettell - From Grad to M.D. (Zurich Municipal)57:07In this episode, Amy Brettell shares her unconventional career journey with Sam. Having started as an Actuary within Zurich's graduate program, Amy moved across various roles within the organisation, including the mysterious Chief of Staff position, Head of Customer in UK Claims Role, and lead the digital transformation in claims at Zurich. Amy has recently stepped into her dream job as Managing Director at Zurich Municipal.Sam and Amy discuss her early introduction to the actuarial field, a path she chose after discovering its possibilities through a career survey at the age of 14, leading her to step into the profession by the age of 21.The conversation offers insights into effective career management, the importance of venturing out of one's comfort zone, initiating bold discussions on career progression, and the active pursuit of professional opportunities.LINKS:Amy's LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/amybrettell/Zurich Grad Scheme: https://www.zurich.co.uk/careers/graduate-schemes
30. Felicity & Megan - Breaking Insurance Stereotypes01:00:34Sam sits down with Megan and Felicity, both participants in the Zurich graduate scheme, who are also the creative minds behind the TikTok page ‘The Life Of A Grad’. With over 10,000 likes, the duo aims to challenge prevailing insurance stereotypes and promote the potential of insurance careers to young professionals. Through ‘The Life Of A Grad’, they also document their own career journey, offering a personal touch to their advocacy for the insurance sector. They share their experiences surrounding their growing TikTok page, discussing the steps they took outside their comfort zones to generate content, and the learning curve involved in managing the account. Addressing the branding issue insurance encounters with young students, Sam, Megan, and Felicity delve into possible solutions to increase awareness. They highlight the merits of working in insurance and the array of departments available, suggesting a broad scope of opportunities for everyone. Through their TikTok platform, Megan and Felicity provide a fresh perspective on insurance careers, offering insights to young professionals on the diverse career options in the industry. This episode highlights their effort to use modern digital platforms as a bridge to connect with the traditional insurance sector, aiming to make insurance careers more accessible and appealing to a younger audience.Links: Life Of A Grad - TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@lifeofagradApprentice Life – TikTok: https://firstname.lastname@example.org Zurich Graduate Schemes: https://www.zurich.co.uk/careers/graduate-schemesZurich Internships: https://www.zurich.co.uk/careers/internships Felicity Irvine – LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/felicity-irvine-8b4449158/?originalSubdomain=ukMegan Jenkins – LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/megan-jenkins-4601741b7/?originalSubdomain=uk
29. Guy Munnoch - Rising through the Ranks and Redefining Roles01:09:32Sam talks with Guy Munnoch, Managing Director of Rupert Morgan, about his exceptional career trajectory, shaped by 21-year milestones, moving from the British Army to the insurance world and beyond. With over four decades of diverse experiences, Guy's journey is nothing short of impressive.Delving into the early stages of his career, Guy underscores the importance of the lessons he learned in his 21 years with Army. Then, he elaborates on his shift to the insurance sector, detailing the hurdles he faced, his strategies to overcome them, and his rise to CEO. His responsibilities at Zurich resulted in an international assignment to South Africa where he reported directly to the royal family. Throughout his insurance journey, he gained profound industry insights and experienced significant transformations.Currently, Guy is navigating his third major career phase, undertaking diverse roles and confronting varied challenges. This phase has seen him assist retirees in sculpting gratifying retirement plans, assume Non-Executive Director positions, and even achieve a World Record!Guy Munnoch's story is a testament to adaptability and seizing opportunities. From the Army's disciplined environments to the dynamic world of insurance, he faced challenges head-on, reflecting on the psychological adjustments required at each stage. Enjoy this episode and discover the richness of Guy's journey, offering invaluable lessons for career navigation and personal growth.LinksLinkedIn - Guy Munnochhttp://email@example.com@gmail.com+44(0)7969 082165