#SoInLove!!! Amazon + Google = <3 <3 <3
YouTubeTV comes to Amazon Fire TV devices signaling that the wall between Google and Amazon really is coming down.
That and much more in this week's Everyday Tech!
This week's tech links to see:
- Sony Drops PlayStation Now Pricing
- OneDrive Expandable Storage and Personal Vault Launches Worldwide
- YouTube TV Comes to Amazon Fire TV Devices
- YouTube Music Replaces Google Play Music in Android 10
- Spotify Tests Much-Awaited Siri Integration on iPhones
- Instagram makes its bully-blocking feature available to everyone
- Apple updates iOS to 13.1.2, hopefully squashing the remaining bugs
- Google and Levi's introduce a new smart jacket that can answer calls and snap selfies
- WhatsApp is testing a self-destructing messages feature
- Google is making it easier to check if your passwords have been compromised in a data breach
- Google announces three new ways to hide your personal activity from Google
- Pixel 4’s Recorder app leaks, revealing automatic transcription capabilities
- UPS just won FAA approval to fly as many delivery drones as it wants
- How to pair PS4 or Xbox controllers with iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Android
- Apple News Plus rolls out to UK, Australia with new publications
- tvOS 13’s small improvements make for a much better Apple TV experience
EVERYDAY TECH -Can Google reduce phishing?
Here are a few of the stories the guys have been looking at this week:Google will use authenticated logos to reduce Gmail phishinghttps://www.theverge.com/2020/7/22/21333886/google-gmail-bimi-logo-authentication-trial-brand-indicators-for-message-identificationSpotify now supports video podcastshttps://www.theverge.com/2020/7/21/21332584/spotify-video-podcasts-feature-uploadAmazon expands its robot delivery trials to more stateshttps://www.theverge.com/2020/7/21/21332374/amazon-autonomous-robot-delivery-scout-expands-trials-atlanta-georgia-franklin-tennessee
EVERYDAY TECH - Peacock TV Takes Flight
Here are the links from a super busy week in the tech world:Spotify debuts podcast charts to let you know what's popularhttps://www.engadget.com/spotify-podcast-charts-130055186.htmlA Frying Pan Ingredient Can Make Super-White Paint Reflect 98% of the Sun's Heathttps://gizmodo.com/a-frying-pan-ingredient-can-make-super-white-paint-refl-1844389335NBC Peacock Launches today: How to stream Peacockhttps://www.theverge.com/21324215/peacock-nbc-universal-comcast-app-how-to-watch-download-price-subscription-stream-showsPeacock will come to the PlayStation 4 on July 20thhttps://www.engadget.com/nbc-peacock-playstation-4-streaming-142144420.htmlhttps://www.peacocktv.com/The antitrust case against Google is gathering steamhttps://www.theverge.com/interface/2020/7/15/21324105/google-antitrust-california-search-youtubeGoogle buys $4.5 billion stake in India's biggest mobile networkhttps://www.engadget.com/google-investment-jio-india-101523701.htmlGmail could be getting a huge workplace overhaulhttps://www.engadget.com/gmail-google-chat-docs-meet-redesign-135910798.htmlSpaceX gets closer to a private beta of its Starlink internet servicehttps://www.engadget.com/spacex-starlink-private-beta-035424193.htmlUK bans Huawei from 5G networks, with total removal by 2027https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/14/21322880/uk-bans-huawei-5g-network-infrastructure-trump-administration-pressureYou can now stake your claim in Apple’s $500 million iPhone slowdown settlementhttps://www.theverge.com/2020/7/13/21322867/apple-iphone-batterygate-throttling-slowdown-settlement-claimsSiriusXM is buying Stitcher for $325 millionhttps://www.theverge.com/2020/7/13/21315911/siriusxm-stitcher-podcast-deal-buy-midroll-earwolfApple warns customers not to close its laptops with a camera cover attachedhttps://www.theverge.com/2020/7/10/21320321/apple-camera-cover-macbook-pro-air-warningFacebook reportedly considering ban on political ads before electionhttps://www.theverge.com/2020/7/10/21320394/facebook-political-ad-ban-blackout-us-election-day-rumor-reportZoom launches a line of hardware for home usehttps://www.engadget.com/zoom-for-home-130020632.html?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=internal&utm_source=dlSony reportedly boosts PS5 production by 50 percenthttps://www.theverge.com/2020/7/15/21325260/sony-ps5-oculus-stock-orders-manufacturing-increase
Recognizing Phishy Emails/Appreciating the Service Industry
Jeremy talks about an experience at his shop and how the service industry should be appreciated more. Also, the guys dig through a couple of phishing email attempts that happened in and around MPB over the last week. Finally, YouTubeTV enacts another drastic rate hike, essentially eliminating the difference in value between it and cable, making it almost a coin-flip decision.Here are the list of stories in this week's tech news mentioned at the top of the show: Global app revenue jumps to $50B in the first half of 2020, in part due to COVID-19 impactsPeloton launches Roku appYouTube TV sharply increases monthly subscription to $64.99FuboTV increases monthly subscription to $65Spotify is launching a premium plan for couplesDiscord raises $100 million and plans to move beyond gamingAT&T brings 5G to Austin, Miami, Salt Lake City, and 25 other regionsMophie and InvisibleShield are making UV sanitizers for your phoneJoin the Everyday Tech Facebook page!