Eat & Drink
52. Cucumber Elderflower Gimlet & Dill
Comedians Ali Hassan & Marco Timpano, discuss, lament & come to terms with Food & Drink. They bring over a quarter century of restaurant experience to the podcast table.
This weeks episode: CUCUMBER ELDERFLOWER GIMLET & DILL
Cucumber Elderflower Gimlet
A Gimlet is a beautiful thing, it's a cocktail typically made of 2 parts gin and 1 part lime juice. A 1928 description of the drink was: gin, and a spot of lime. The glorious thing about the gimlet is it was made to be modified or amplified if you will, and here is a great example.
Here is what you will need:
- 1 ½ ounces of Gin, sub in Vodka if you don't have or like Gin.
- 1 ounce St. Germain liqueur
- 1 ounce lime juice
- A 2 inch piece of peeled cucumber, quarter lengthwise then slice those quarters into ¼″ thick pieces.
- If you want to add some "bellezza" to your coupe or martini glass a thinly sliced cucumber round for garnish is not a bad idea.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and cucumber pieces.
- Add Gin, St. Germain and lime juice.
- Shake your Shaker until it feels a bit frosty on the outside, you will bruise the shit out of your cucumber and that is what we want here.
- Strain the cocktail into your vessel, and the if you wish garnish with a slice of cucumber.
- Enjoy it like you've been married to the love of your life for 10 years like I have!
OH DILL...how we sing thy praises. Over beans, over potatoes, over beets, over tomatoes, in your tzatziki, on a filet of oily fish, stuff inside a whole fish, as a garnish, as a primary flavour....IT'S ALL GOOD!
- 2 cups of french green beans, steamed and still crisp
- 1/2 cup of sweet corn
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large bulb of garlic, mashed
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of loosely packed dill, chopped
- Coarse salt, to taste
Mix all these ingredients together in a bowl, let sit for a half hour and serve as a terrific accompaniment to brunch or dinner.
So don't Dilly Dally...and don't fear the amount of dill in a BUNCH - take it as a challenge and get it in ya! Also...the health benefits are NUMEROUS!
If you liked this episode: Rate, Review & Subscribe and tell your friends.
If you didn't like it, there is a whole slog of podcasts out there for you to explore and enjoy and we hope you do!