Dream Job Ready
Michelle Battersby (Chief Marketing Officer, Keep it Cleaner) talks being dream job ready at uni, at the start of your career & when you have experience | EP31
Dream Job Ready Episode 31: Michelle Battersby (Chief Marketing Officer, Keep it Cleaner).
After completing her Bachelor of Arts and Masters of Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations, Michelle worked through multiple HR roles for finance companies Citi, UBS and PWC in her first 3 years out of university. While she enjoyed the roles and the companies she was working with, she knew there was something else out there that she'd be better at...
Michelle opened herself to a career move and thanks to a friend got an intro to Whitney Wolfe Herd - Founder and CEO of dating app, Bumble. The two met, connected and Michelle was hired as Country Lead, the first person hired at Bumble in Australia. There she was responsible for building out the local team, localising messaging, brand direction and officially launching Bumble into the Australian market.
She progressed internally and promoted to Director of APAC Marketing in 2019, where she helped launch the business in New Zealand, Philippines and Hong Kong.
Three years into the role, Michelle got that "what's next?" feeling again though and decided to seek out a position a little closer to her original love (sport), with that opportunity coming with Keep it Cleaner - the online fitness platform and brainchild of models Steph Claire Smith and Laura Henshaw.
Just over a year into the role, she's loving the opportunity of learning from founders and working on new projects, such as a new app build.
- 00:01 - Intro.
- 00:54 - What 1 word describes Michelle's last 12 months (her first 12 months working with Keep it Cleaner.
- 02:00 - Michelle discusses what it's like coming in fresh to a new company and working closely with two engaged Founders at Keep it Cleaner.
- 04:20 - Michelle discusses how her new role is helping to validate and confirm her passions, skills and professional development.
- 06:55 - Discussing the importance of self confidence
- 08:00 - How did Michelle get her dream job at Keep it Cleaner?
- 10:09 - Michelle likens leaving her role at Bumble to breaking up with someone when you still love them...
- 13:00 - We discuss the "three year itch" and why it's common (and fine) to want new challenges, even when you're still developing. Michelle explains how hard the decision to leave Bumble was, but also outlines why she needed, and wanted to.
- 17:00 - We discuss Michelle's university studies, her work experience and internship, and her first few roles out of school.
- 22:00 - I ask Michelle why she started her career working for various finance companies, and why she moved away from them to go work for an online dating app.
- 26:00 - I ask Michelle how she approached her past job changes.
- 30:00 - Michelle talks about what she's really enjoyed working on at Keep it Cleaner and outlines her key mobile app project.
- 32:30 - I ask Michelle for advice on "what to do" and "what not to do" when you're building a mobile app.
- 34:50 - Listener Question of the Week: Julie asks, "who or what has been your biggest influence and why?"
This episode and the Dream Job Ready series is supported by University of Wollongong, so shoutout and thanks to UOW for their ongoing support and assistance.
You can follow UOW on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/school/university-of-wollongong/.
If you'd like to financially support this podcast series (every dollar counts), you can make a contribution via https://supporter.acast.com/dream-job-ready-1.
If you'd simply like to connect with Dream Job Ready on the socials, here are the links:
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/dreamjobready.
- Twitter / @dreamjobready.
- Facebook / @dreamjobready.
- Instagram / @dreamjobready.
You can also connect me via Email (and send me questions for future listeners): firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to connect with Michelle and the Keep it Cleaner team?
- Michelle's LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michelle-battersby-a2385378/
- Instagram: @keepitcleaner
- Website: www.keepitcleaner.com.au
Music: ‘Funky Sunday’ composed and performed by Mark Matthews.
Copyright 2020 | Remarkable