Dream Job Ready
Discussing Career Development, Micro-credentialing & Employability advice with Sharyn Donaghy | Dream Job Ready EP40
Dream Job Ready Episode 40 with Sharyn Donaghy (Career Development Specialist, Teacher, Wife and Mother).
Host Dane Sharp and Career Practitioner Sharyn Donaghy discuss career development, micro-credentialing and employability.
We discuss plenty in this episode and Sharyn shares personal and professional stories and advice throughout the show.
- 00:01 - Intro.
- 00:30 - Let's meet Sharyn.
- 01:20 - Sharyn outlines her diverse personal and professional life.
- 02.40 - I ask Sharyn about her career journey.
- 03:00 - Sharyn talks about career perception vs reality, and walks us through her career steps from university to today.
- 08:10 - I ask Sharyn what her main priorities and focuses are today, and what they will be for the foreseeable future.
- 10:20 - Sharyn shares information about her Adapt People program. Learn more: www.adaptpeople.com.au
- 11:30 - Achieving greatness, under pressure, when people need it most.
- 13:13 - This episode of the Dream Job Ready podcast is supported by www.monkeystick.co
- 14:45 - I ask Sharyn to define “employability” and share why it’s important to understand the term and its meaning.
- 16:00 - We talk personal values.
- 18:00 - The perception of pace.
- 19:00 - Sharyn discusses the realities and importance of career discovery and experimentation.
- 21:10 - Sharyn mentions Inside Sherpa (which has rebranded to The Forage). Learn more: theforage.com
- 22:10 - Advocating work experience and internships.
- 23:00 - Sharyn chats about her husband's (Dave) career journey… from not knowing what he wanted to do, to studying journalism and politics at uni, to media jobs and most recently on to his CEO leadership roles in the NRL. (NB. The Melbourne Storm did go on to win the 2020 NRL Grand Final.)
- 25:00 - I ask Sharyn about “thinking outside the box” when it comes to searching for your dream job.
- 26:00 - Sharyn discusses micro-credentialing. Learn more via UOW.edu.au: https://www.uow.edu.au/about/learning-teaching/academic-portfolio-update/2018-10/uow-online/
- 26:30 - Sharyn mentions Mooc. Learn more: mooc.org
- 29:00 - I ask Sharyn to coach me about approaching vision roadblocks in a business and breaking down how to manage the situation.
- 32:00 - The importance of learning from outcomes.
- 32:30 - Listener Question of the Week from James: "When you’re in the final two for the role… what factors distinguish one candidate over another?"
- 35:45 - I ask Sharyn about proactively prepping for a job interview versus just showing up.
- 37:00 - Sharyn’s shares her business goals and vision for her business (website sharyndonaghycareers.com).
Recorded 22 October 2020.
Got feedback? Please email me on email@example.com or connect via:
Twitter / @dreamjobready
Facebook / @dreamjobready
Instagram / @dreamjobready
And if you'd like to financially support this podcast series, please make a contribution via https://supporter.acast.com/dream-job-ready-1.
Or simply do us a solid and subscribe, rate and share Dream Job Ready with your friends!
If you'd benefit from additional sales training, you can connect with Noah via:
Cohen Training Institute www.cohentraininginstitute.com.au
Music: ‘Funky Sunday’ composed and performed by my childhood music teacher: Mark Matthews
Copyright 2020 | Remarkable