Leadership and Loyalty™
Jamie Mustard: The Iconist
How can you and I make something iconic? How can we find a way to stand out?
Whether we're looking at ourselves, our brand, our creativity or our purpose – we are all trying to find ways to distinctively project ourselves in a world full of mass similarity.
As a leader in your industry do you sometimes find yourself struggling to stand out? What about as an organization or even as a product or service in the market place? Do you sometimes feel like you might not be one of the special or "anointed" ones?
What if you knew how to anoint yourself?
Business is not just about being able to stand out, but rather to stand out in a way that has massive impact and longevity.
But how can we stand out in a world of ever increasing visual noise? When you look back on the history of music, art, politics and literature, there are certain "Iconic" individuals that are indelibly tattooed on our minds to such a degree that even if we have no real interest in what they are or do, they are unshakable. Think of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5...Now tell me you didn't hear: "Bha-Bha-Pah-Ba, Bha-Bha-Pah-Ba!" The question is, was it Beethoven's genius that created music that hundreds of years later everyone knows? (of course it is) However, what if there's a formula that Beethoven consciously or unconsciously understood? Furthermore, what if it's a formula that translates over to Art, Design, Architecture, Movie Making, and even road signs?
If it is a formula, you might be wondering how you can tap into it so that you or your brand becomes the very thing imprinted in the minds of those you wish to influence and impact?
Well, you can because our guest on this episode is Jamie Mustard.
Jamie Mustard is an expert on perception in the physical world, a strategic multi-media consultant, art, design and product futurist, translator of technologies, creative artist and Iconist.
A graduate of the London School of Economics, Jamie’s work is an explanation of the ‘economics of attention’ based on the primal laws of human perception called Blocks™.
He has spoken, educated and inspired others with his work ubiquitously including, Cisco, Intel, Symantec, Adidas, Pacific Northwest College of Art and his TEDx at creative giant, Wieden + Kennedy.
His purpose is to give the power of getting attention and all that it does for us internally, back to those who are feeling stifled by an over-messaged to culture. He is the author of the new and highly influential, ICONIST: The Art and Science of Standing Out.
On this episode we go FullMonty on:
- The Red Rubber Ball Philosophy that changed his mentality
- The Science and Art of Obviousness
- The primal laws of human perception
- Messaging Dilution...how to overcome it
- The paradox of choice
- Economics of attention
- Why Symmetry Matters
- Tapping into "Blocks" and "Icons" to truly stand out
- Why songs and nursery rhymes get stuck in our head
- The power of Transparency
- How feeling Invisible made him a master of helping others stand out
- Why every mental Arrow Head needs a Shaft and why every Shaft needs an Arrow Head
- Repetition: Stay it often enough and it becomes a (small t) truth
- Tapping into the powerful force of emotion
- Icons and Courage
And so much more...
Find out more about Jamie Mustard: http://TheIconist.org
Remember you can now also find us on iTunes, Spotify, iHeart Radio, or wherever you tune into podcasts.
And on traditional radio stations across the US every Monday and Thursday on:
- 99.5 FM & 1520 AM Las Vegas
- 102.1 FM & 1640 AM Lancaster, Philadelphia
- 87.9 FM & 810 AM Macon, Georgia
- 92.1 FM & 1630 AM Tampa, Florida
- 97.7 The Villages, Florida
- 96.3 FM Boulder, Colorado
- 90.3 FM Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 94.7 FM Pittsburg, Philadelphia
- 87.9 FM Colorado Springs, Colorado
- And NOW LIVE on 96.7FM WASHINGTON, DC and on 96.7FM covering THE WASHINGTON DC & QUANTICO area.
Also, look for us on ROKU TV where there are 100K subscribers.
If you are a regular listener, then a big thank-you to you for making us the #1 podcast globally for Fortune 500 listeners!
And with a potential reach of 2.5 to 3 million listeners for every show, we’re honored and grateful to be cited in INC.com as The #1 Podcast To Make You a Better Leader