Design Talk (dot IE)
0164 - Always Put the Client First with Matteo Collina
Host(s) Emma Matthews and Soumya Seniaray
Our guest today is Matteo Collina, Chief Software Architect at NearForm, the Irish enterprise software solutions company, headquartered in Waterford and offices around the world. Among other things Matteo is an active open-source contributor, is on the steering committee for Node.js, and over his career has developed a deep understanding of the business of consulting…
Thank you for joining us, Matteo, can you start by telling us a little more about yourself?
1. Let’s start with the dark side of the business of consulting, it has a dark side, doesn’t it?
2. And yet the business of consulting is hugely important for client organisations. What does it take to get good at consultancy?
3. How can a services firm ‘flip’ the junior/crunch model?
4. How long does it take to learn how to work with a client organization?
5. What do you say to the idea that it is the consultant’s job to build the knowledge of your own clients?
6. By imparting your knowledge to clients, don’t you cannibalise your own business?
7. Is the analyst role and the consultant role different?
8. Where does design happen; is there room for design in consulting?
9. You're with a client and it becomes clear that they haven't identified the real problem...
10. Any thoughts on how to become a better communicator
11. And finally; does consulting pose ethical challenges, how do you deal with them?
Well on that note, I think we’ll wrap up there.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences today.
Matteo Collina, open-source contributor and member of the Node.js Technical Steering Committee member, Chief Software Architect at NearForm, the Irish enterprise software solutions company.
Artist: Ben Prunty
License: Non-transferable license. Permission granted by Ben Prunty (personal letter)
Title: Pick and Mix
Artist: Original artwork by Conor Fitzpatrick; additional graphic design: Allen Higgins
Source: Fitzpatrick_Unamed.jpg -> PickAndMix-Name.pptx
License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 (Permission granted by Conor Fitzpatrick (personal letter))
Design Talk (dot IE) CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
The license can be viewed at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0
By taking part you give permission for your voice to be recorded, for the recording to be edited, and for it to be posted and published as a podcast.