The Craig Shapiro Tennis Podcast
Israeli Davis Cupper Gilad Bloom Talks Tennis With Craig Shapiro
Gilad Bloom has lived an incredible life in tennis.
He grew up outside of Tel Aviv, Israel, and was an elite junior. He carried the torch for Israel's National Team in both the Davis Cup and The Olympics from 1984-1995, and posted wins over many great players including Jimmy Connors, Marcelo Rios, and Peter Korda.
In 1990 he made a run to the 4th round of The US OPEN, and got to his best ranking, 61. We talked a lot about The US Open, and why its atmosphere is so unique. We talked about how he likes to watch tennis on the side courts and see what is happening on the practice court, as there are a lot of lessons for everyone.
He has resided in New York City since 2000 and has a boutique tennis program and a rock band.
Recorded 8.24 Released 9.1
View all episodes
4. WTA World #103 Maria Timofeeva Talks Tennis with Craig Shapiro48:51Maria Timofeeva, known to all as Masha, was born in Moscow in 2003, learned tennis at the famous tennis school Spartak and In 2017 she won the prestigious under 14 tournament L'Petit As, and from then was on a trajectory to become a professional. In the summer of 2023 her ranking shot from 250 to 120 after winning Budapest as a lucky loser, and then this past January she entered the 2024 Australian Open qualies ranked 170 in the world, and then proceeded to win 6 matches, including wins over Cornet, Wozniacki, and Haddad-Maia to reach the round of 16. She left Australia ranked 100. We talked about what it was like to be a Russian player on tour, and what her journey has been like. It was fascinating to talk to a young woman with such a unique story. Recorded 2.29 Released 3.2The Craig Shapiro Tennis Podcast is Powered By DiadoraSign up for the weekly newsletter.
3. Tennis Mom Extraordinaire Aneke Rune Talks Tennis with Craig Shapiro53:55As it pertains to her son, the world #7 Holger Rune. she is always in the mix. For me, she is the preeminent tennis mom in our game, dressed in black head to toe, conspicuously cool in the player's box. Aneke Rune and I had a wonderful chat, we discussed her son's trials and tribulations at length, including the former and current coaching situation, the importance of his team as well as their connection to the Mouratoglou Academy, and the challenges of being a mom on tour. The former ballerina in the Royal Danish Ballet joined me from her home in Charlotteslund, Denmark and was remarkably forthcoming and honest and didn't shy away from any of the tough questions.Recorded 2.5 Released 2.6The Craig Shapiro Tennis Podcast is Powered By DiadoraSubscribe to Our Newsletter
2. AUSSIE OPEN LIVE SPECIAL WITH OSAKA BIOGRAPHER BEN ROTHENBERG & OSAKA AGENT STU DUGUID46:22On January 16th Ben Rothenberg and I hosted a full house at the best coffee shop in Melbourne for a live podcast/book signing. The Osaka book was available for purchase and Ben signed books, and Naomi's agent Stu Duguid joined us . We talked in length about the Osaka comeback, the book, and then we hit the hot button topics of the day including gambling in tennis and the Zverev situation. It was an awesome Australian Open kickoff. The Craig Shapiro Tennis Podcast is Powered By DiadoraRecorded 1.16 Released 1.19
1. Journalist Giri Nathan of Defector Discusses Current Events with Craig Shapiro33:53Giri Nathan of DEFECTOR and I kick off the 8th season with a current events special to get everyone excited about the Summer Down Under. We talked the Rafa situation, the Joker wrist, as well as Grigor, Coco, Iga, Rybakina, and all the others that are already in killer form. We talked Adrian Mannarino and Emma Navarro, and how Alex de Minaur is a top tenner. We talked Naomi Osaka .We talked domestic and European TV deals and the future of BREAK POINT. It was a great chat. Recorded and Released 1.8.24The Craig Shapiro Tennis Podcast is Powered by Diadora
18. Milos Raonic Talks Tennis with Craig Shapiro48:10Born in Montenegro and raised in the suburbs of Toronto, a decade ago Milos Raonic put Canadian tennis on the map, and in 2016 got to 3 in the world, reaching the finals of Wimbledon. The big server has made over 20 million dollars on tour and won 8 titles, has posted wins over Roger, Rafa, and Andy. His career has been marred by a multitude of injuries and we discussed his propensity for injury in length. He is the son of two engineers and is one of the more cerebral players that we have had on our show. We talked in length about the politics of the ATP, and he shared his thoughts on the future of tennis. Recorded 12.19 Released 12.22The Craig Shapiro Tennis Podcast is Powered By Diadora Today's Episode is also brought to you by Baha Mar Resorts the home of the Bahamar Cup.
17. Ben Rothenberg Discusses Current Events and His Osaka Biography with Craig Shapiro01:01:09Ben Rothenberg is the host of the podcast No Challenges Remaining and was the tennis writer for the New York Times from 2011-2021, and spent the better part of his career with a keen eye on Naomi Osaka, from way before she became a household name, through her greatest achievements as well as her well documented struggles. His biography, NAOMI OSAKA comes out on January 9, and we discussed the book, and Naomi, at length. Additionally Ben and I discussed all of the hot button topics of the day, including the impending Saudi incursion into tennis, the flailing machinations of the WTA Alexander Zverev saga, the curse of NETFLIX, as well as the incredible year of Novak Djokovic. Recorded 12.5 Released 12.8The Craig Shapiro Tennis Podcast is Powered By Diadora.Today's show is also brought to you by Vacation® - creators of the legendary Ball Boy Scented Candle, made exclusively with Prince® Tennis. Use my code "SHAPIRO" for 15% off the Vacation® Ball Boy Scented Candle.
16. Laura Siegemund Talks Tennis With Craig Shapiro01:22:17Laura Siegemund has lived an incredible life in tennis. She was born in Filderstadt, Germany and was identified as talent by the German federation at a young age, culminating with a big win at the 2000 Orange Bowl where she won the twelves. With a coach that eschewed the traditional path of playing junior events, from the age of 13 until she was 24 she played in pro tournaments, losing matches, until it became too frustrating, too emotionally hard. And that's where the story becomes amazing. The former World #27 and the current #5 doubles player in the world discussed her incredible path, her controversial 1st round match at the US Open vs Coco Gauff, her experience at the WTA Finals, as well as her opinions about the WTA. She was earnest and plain speaking and we had a great chat. Recorded 11.20 Released 11.29The Craig Shapiro Tennis Podcast is Powered By Diadora. Today's show is also brought to you by Vacation® - creators of the legendary Ball Boy Scented Candle, made exclusively with Prince® Tennis. Use my code "SHAPIRO" for 15% off the Vacation® Ball Boy Scented Candle.
15. Mark Knowles Discusses the Machinations of The ATP with Craig Shapiro32:59The Bahamian with the tight blond curls Mark Knowles has lived an amazing life in tennis. He was identified by Nick Bollettieri when he was 10 years old and was given a scholarship to join the action in Bradenton, Florida. He played at UCLA, and the turned pro in 1992, he reached the top 100 in singles, but it was in doubles where he distinguished himself, reaching world #1, winning 3 majors and 55 tournaments over the course of a 20 year career. Now a broadcaster and the elected player representative on the ATP board, Mark provided a birds eye view of the hot button topics facing men's tennis, and we discussed it all. The Craig Shapiro Tennis Podcast is Powered by DiadoraToday’s episode is also sponsored by Baha Mar Resorts as the fourth annual Baha Mar Cup ishappening in The Bahamas Friday, December 8 through Sunday, December 10. .Recorded 11.21 Released 11/22
14. Karue Sell of MY TENNIS HQ Talks Tennis with Craig Shapiro01:04:45He's the closest thing to tennis' version of a street ball legend. Elite Brazilian junior, goes 78-12 at UCLA playing 4,5,and 6, then sort of waits to try playing pro tennis, and supplements tennis teaching income by playing and winning men's local "money" tournaments. His backhand return becomes legendary, everyone says he's so smooth it's incredible. He gets to top 400 and stops. Then he becomes Naomi Osaka's hitting partner, creates a popular Youtube Channel and brand and now is trying to make it on the tour again. He's Karue Sell and we had a great chat. Recorded 11/2 Released !!/12 on location at UCLA The Craig Shapiro Tennis Podcast is Powered by Diadora