Different Hats Podcast
Bonus Episode: Unraveling Employment Law and Harnessing your Network with Alex Jones #E3/24
My guest on the podcast this week is Managing Director of 365 Employment Law Solicitors, Alex Jones. Specialising in all aspects of Employment Law, Alex is a specialist Employment Solicitor, who advises both employers and employees on the complex issues in Employment Law. With his extensive experience he has specialised in Employment Law for nearly 20 years.
In this episode Alex talks us through his journey and how employment law has changed over the years. We discuss the impact Covid 19 had on the workplace and how starting his business in late 2019 enabled him to be able to help businesses navigate through the tricky waters of the pandemic with furlough and the constant changes during that period. Alex highlights the importance in good communication when it comes to employment law on both sides from employer and employee. He also shares the importance in business of having a strong network around you and how growing your connections is the perfect catalyst to further your career and build your business.
"Build your network, get your connections, academics will get you so far but one you start in any professional area your career develops through contacts"
Everyone has a story to tell...
Watch the episode on YouTube ➡️ https://youtu.be/vzXSVZmKbr8
Find out more about Alex Jones click here ➡️ https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-jones-63612a8/
Creative Pod ➡️ https://www.creativepod.uk.com/
EMC Corporate Finance ➡️ https://www.emcltd.co.uk/
Preston Insurance Brokers ➡️ https://prestoninsurancebrokers.co.uk/
Plus X ➡️ https://plusx.space/
Produced by H2 Productions ➡️ https://h2productions.co.uk/
View all episodes
77. #77 Unveiling Resilience: From Adversity to Triumph with Jo Prior01:15:48⚠️ Warning ⚠️ This episode contains content that may be alarming to some listeners. We do talk about suicide, which we know can be distressing.In this week's episode, join us on an inspiring journey with the incredible Jo Prior, a former solicitor turned business maven. From facing adversity as a young mother to overcoming the tragedy of losing her son's father, Jo's story is a testament to unwavering resilience.In 2018, Jo took the helm of Bagelman, a business she initially bought with her husband in 2012. What started as a desire to spend more time with her children evolved into a pivotal moment as Jo found herself taking charge of a struggling enterprise after separating from her husband. Facing the looming threat of losing everything, Jo made a courageous decision to turn the business around and restore it to profitability.But the challenges didn't stop there. Just as Bagelman began thriving under Jo's leadership, the world was hit by a global pandemic in 2020. Tune in to discover how Jo navigated the turbulent waters, steering the business through the storm and emerging on the other side with success.From her early struggles to the triumphs in both personal and professional spheres, Jo's journey is a gripping narrative of resilience, determination, and triumph. Whether you're an entrepreneur, a parent, or someone seeking motivation, Jo's open and honest account will leave you inspired and empowered.Join us for a candid conversation that delves into the heart of adversity, proving that even in the face of the toughest circumstances, remarkable achievements are possible. Get ready to be inspired as Jo Prior shares her remarkable story of turning crisis into triumph!To watch the episode on YouTube click here 🧢 https://youtu.be/2h_DBK2Q3_YSpecial thanks to our sponsors and producers who make these moments possible.OUR SPONSORSRivervale 🧢 https://www.rivervale.co.uk/Plus X 🧢 https://www.plusxinnovation.com/Rubix VT 🧢 https://www.rubixvt.com/Little Jasmine Day Spa's and Therapies 🧢 https://www.little-jasmine.com/Nostos Hove 🧢 https://www.nostos-hove.co.uk/OUR PRODUCERSH2 Productions Ltd 🧢 https://h2productions.co.uk/
76. #76 Gratitude Defined: Bruno Salters Relentless Pursuit to be the Best01:22:54Step into the extraordinary on this exclusive episode of the Different Hats podcast, where we've teamed up with the Authentic Resilience podcast for a powerhouse collaboration ahead of its highly anticipated launch next year. I'm thrilled to be joined by none other than the remarkable Bruno, a true legend both on and off the pitch.In the span of this captivating conversation, Bruno, a football coach and former player, takes us on a riveting journey from his formative years to becoming a La Liga sensation, with notable stints at Espanyol, Almería, and Valencia. His seven-year tenure at Brighton & Hove Albion, where he not only played but also served as captain, adds a layer of depth to his incredible story.Retirement in 2019 didn't mark the end for Bruno; it was a new chapter. Appointed as a senior player development coach at his beloved club, he later made the leap to Chelsea, following manager Graham Potter in September 2022.This episode unfolds as one of my all-time favorites, as Bruno candidly shares the values instilled in him by his parents, his childhood dreams of becoming the best footballer in the world, and the relentless pursuit of that goal. From the highs of his career to navigating the darker moments, Bruno imparts invaluable wisdom about the essence of suffering, resilience, and gratitude.Here are just a few nuggets of wisdom you can expect:Everything is a consequence of your effort and mentality.We can't control what happens to us, only how we respond.The impact you leave on others is determined by how you make them feel.And, of course, Bruno leaves us with this profound thought: "A healed human being, a fixed human being is much more beautiful than a human being who never suffered."Join me and my co-host, the incredible Gary Peters, as we dive into a conversation that is both enlightening and unforgettable. Don't miss out on this incredible episode that transcends the boundaries of a typical podcast. It's not just a conversation; it's an experience.To watch the episode on YouTube click here 🧢 https://youtu.be/3f8oPx4kMVASpecial thanks to our sponsors and producers who make these moments possible.OUR SPONSORSRivervale 🧢 https://www.rivervale.co.uk/Plus X 🧢 https://www.plusxinnovation.com/Rubix VT 🧢 https://www.rubixvt.com/Little Jasmine Day Spa's and Therapies 🧢 https://www.little-jasmine.com/Nostos Hove 🧢 https://www.nostos-hove.co.uk/OUR PRODUCERSH2 Productions Ltd 🧢 https://h2productions.co.uk/
75. #75 Mastering Wealth: Have a Plan & Stay ahead of the Game: The Richard Skerritt Story01:44:36My guest on the podcast this week is the inspirational Richard Skerritt. Richard is the Founder of Skerritts, independent financial advisors and wealth management company that he started over 30 years ago and is one of Sussex's true success stories. This was a truly amazing episode and one that I am sure will inspire those that listen. We start Richard's story at the beginning as he shares how standing up to a bully at school helped shape who he is today. He talks about starting the business in 1990 with absolutely nothing and the journey to get it to where it is today. We delve into some of the challenges he has faced, how he never wants to stand still, always looking at the next level, and how after selling part of the business to private equity he is doing just that and helping Skerritts grow to that next level. What was clear from our conversation was Richard's passion for business, still, after 33 years, and the importance of living a life true to yourself. For someone that has achieved huge financial wealth he drove home to me how important it is to not delay happiness to a destination in the future but recognizing where you are right now can be great. There were so many incredible takeaways, many that will stay with me for many years to come."Success is built in the hard times, failure is built in the good times"To watch the episode on YouTube click here 🧢 https://youtu.be/jjHTMe_Ku3UIf you would like to connect with Richard Skerritt or find out more about Skerritts Click Here 🧢https://www.skerritts.co.uk/OUR SPONSORSRivervale 🧢 https://www.rivervale.co.uk/Plus X 🧢 https://www.plusxinnovation.com/Rubix VT 🧢 https://www.rubixvt.com/Little Jasmine Day Spa's and Therapies 🧢 https://www.little-jasmine.com/Nostos Hove 🧢 https://www.nostos-hove.co.uk/OUR PRODUCERSH2 Productions Ltd 🧢 https://h2productions.co.uk/
74. #74 Risk & Rewards: Navigating the Property Market with Strategic Risk Management: With Paul Addison01:22:40My guest on the podcast this week is the Managing Director of DevAssist, Paul Addison. Paul is a creative thinker with great lateral capacity and a very perceptive eye for profit opportunities and risk. With over 25 year’s experience in residential housing industry. This brilliant episode was a fantastic insight into the level of risk and reward within the world of property. We start Paul's story with a look at his childhood and how despite being privately educated, he hated school and being dyslexic didn't fit into the system. He couldn't wait to get out into the world of work and with a burning desire and drive to follow in his father's footsteps and one day run his own business. We talk about his early career in the world of property to starting his first business trading land and managing the level of risk involved, until it all stopped when the banking crisis hit. Paul describes how a few years later he saw a gap in the market and how DevAssist was born, still the only company to provide this service to the property industry. There are so many great insights and takeaways from this episode, a key one for me was to each day ask myself 'is what I am doing today going to move my business forward, if not don't do it'. . "Success, I suppose is bedtime, at the end of each day, have I made a difference"To watch the episode on YouTube click here 🧢 https://youtu.be/5eqADtFAvekIf you would like to connect with Paul Addison or find out more about DevAssist Click Here 🧢https://www.devassist.co.uk/OUR SPONSORSRivervale 🧢 https://www.rivervale.co.uk/Plus X 🧢 https://www.plusxinnovation.com/Rubix VT 🧢 https://www.rubixvt.com/Little Jasmine Day Spa's and Therapies 🧢 https://www.little-jasmine.com/Nostos Hove 🧢 https://www.nostos-hove.co.uk/OUR PRODUCERSH2 Productions Ltd 🧢 https://h2productions.co.uk/
73. #73 Why Choosing the Easy Path in Life isn't always the BEST: Aiden Dunning01:06:09My guest on the Podcast this week is a Principal in the Commercial, Technology and Data Team at EMW, Aiden Dunning. Aiden is able to provide practical and pragmatic advice having moved to EMW Law after holding senior level leadership roles as GC and COO roles within US corporates, Private Equity and UK Plc organisations. His track record shows a history of building and motivating teams to meet business objectives which he brings to each new instruction. Aiden delivers results in difficult circumstances and is a proven, trusted advisor who invests personally in the teams he serves.This was a great conversation with a good friend with whom I share similar values and ethos around business, culture and life in general. We discuss Aiden's childhood, and how in his early years a career in law wasn't on the agenda. We delve into some challenges he has faced throughout his career and how he learnt that choosing the easy path in life isn't always the best. He talks about always having a strong work ethic, not only as an individual but by surrounding yourself with a like minded team of people with a similar work ethic and how with that you can achieve great things. Ultimately what came out of the conversation for me is that whatever we do in life, to approach decisions with the utmost integrity and choose a path sometimes with no agenda, but just because it is the right thing to do."of Integrity, doing the right thing even when no one is watching"To watch the episode on YouTube click here 🧢 https://youtu.be/0CcVgVZ5-usIf you would like to connect with Aiden Dunning Click Here 🧢https://www.linkedin.com/in/aiden-dunning-55917b16/OUR SPONSORSRivervale 🧢 https://www.rivervale.co.uk/Plus X 🧢 https://www.plusxinnovation.com/Rubix VT 🧢 https://www.rubixvt.com/Little Jasmine Day Spa's and Therapies 🧢 https://www.little-jasmine.com/Nostos Hove 🧢 https://www.nostos-hove.co.uk/OUR PRODUCERSH2 Productions Ltd 🧢 https://h2productions.co.uk/
72. #E72 Removing Limiting Beliefs and Finding your Purpose: The Inspirational Story of Helen Guinness01:50:11Success, Happiness and Fulfillment.. Words that describe the key answers I am looking for on the podcast and that is why I am so excited to welcome this weeks guest, the very inspirational Helen Guinness. She is as a transformational coach, who helps her clients remove the obstacles to success and happiness. She works with individuals and companies to transform limiting beliefs into focused, profitable action and supports individuals to grow beyond the ‘Is this it?’ moment in their lives and find true fulfillment. She as worked with individuals and teams with personal development, leadership and growth for over 4 decades. In this truly inspiring episode we hear about the start of Helen's story and her childhood, from living in four different countries to being abandoned by her parents to look after her brother at just 11 years old. From being pregnant and homeless at 18 and the challenges she faced, Helen realized she had a job to do and focused on that with a strong belief that nothing is impossible and that in life we have a choice. With strong beliefs in fairness and injustice, she went on to join the women's liberation movement and be a campaigner during the 70's, standing on a soap box on Hyde Park corner. In 1981 she attended a course where she experienced the joy and magic of what is now called Personal Development. The revelations that she had liberated her from the then confines of her mind. What she discovered inspired her to pursue a career in Leadership and Management Development and has been helping organisations and individuals for over forty years to find their purpose and challenge their limiting beliefs. We talk about failure, culture, success and much, much more. This is an episode packed with inspiration, insights and so many takeaways and yet I still felt like we only scratched the surface of this women's incredible story. "Failure is a gift, failure is an education, failure is how we learn"To watch the episode on YouTube click here 🧢 https://youtu.be/FkFI1v734NYIf you would like to connect with Helen Click Here 🧢https://helenguinness.com/OUR SPONSORSRivervale 🧢 https://www.rivervale.co.uk/Plus X 🧢 https://www.plusxinnovation.com/Rubix VT 🧢 https://www.rubixvt.com/Little Jasmine Day Spa's and Therapies 🧢 https://www.little-jasmine.com/Nostos Hove 🧢 https://www.nostos-hove.co.uk/OUR PRODUCERSH2 Productions Ltd 🧢 https://h2productions.co.uk/
71. #71 Kicking The S**T Out of Cancer: The Inspirational Story of Marcos Jarvis01:11:35Statistics state that 1-2 people will get diagnosed with Cancer in the UK. In 2019 nearly 400,000 people were diagnosed with cancer, one of those people is my guest this week, the incredible Marcos Jarvis. He is a Dad, husband, storyteller, bespoke builder, ultra athlete, runner and Cancer survivor. This is a story of resilience, self belief and never giving up.. In this powerful episode Marcos shares with us and talks about the day him and his wife were given the devastating news that he has stage 4 incurable cancer and given a matter of weeks to live. With the thought that he would not make it to his son's 5th birthday, Marcos went on a journey to change all aspects of his life and face cancer head on. Through diet, exercise, extreme hot and cold water therapy, with support from his wife and the Wolo Foundation along with the most incredible mindset, Marcos did just that and beat cancer. He went from running just a few hundred meters to ultra marathons, running thousands of miles and completing a full marathon during chemo therapy. He fully embraced the Wim Hoff method and is now trained as a Wim Hoff instructor. Marcos also shares how he has taken full responsibility for his own cancer. This is one of the most powerful, emotional episode's I have recorded and with so many incredible takeaways for anyone in a tough place, showing what can be achieved when you have a strong why, a powerful mindset, self belief and the ability to never give up. Four years on I am delighted to share that Marcos is now cancer free. "Your dreams are what you make it, and if you're willing to put in the hard work you will receive your dreams"To watch the episode on YouTube click here 🧢 https://youtu.be/QVAwOLmOvJwIf you would like to connect with Marcos Click Here 🧢https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcos-jarvis-733aa6230/If you are looking for any help or support with Cancer reach out to the Wolo Foundation here 🧢https://wolofoundation.org/OUR SPONSORSRivervale 🧢 https://www.rivervale.co.uk/Plus X 🧢 https://www.plusxinnovation.com/Rubix VT 🧢 https://www.rubixvt.com/Little Jasmine Day Spa's and Therapies 🧢 https://www.little-jasmine.com/Nostos Hove 🧢 https://www.nostos-hove.co.uk/OUR PRODUCERSH2 Productions Ltd 🧢 https://h2productions.co.uk/
70. #E70 From Teenage Trauma to Motor Racing Success: The Inspiring Story of Jade Goodwin01:43:35Warning: Viewer Discretion Advised This episode contains content that may be alarming to some listeners. We do talk about sexual abuse, depression and mental health which we know can be distressing.If you have concerns about the content or its potential impact, please seek support from a trusted friend, family member, or professional.This week I welcome motor racing sensation Jade Goodwin to the podcast. From Karting to Fiesta's she is an unbelievable talent on the circuit and at just 24 she has already won the F100 British Open Championship, x 3 FA 95 Vicechamp 2020/21/23 and many more.We start Jade's story from when she first found her love for motor racing at the age of 10 and how the sport she loves has given her so much. However in her personal life Jade has been through an incredible ordeal, she shares with me a traumatic period of her life when she was sexually abused at age just 15. How she kept it quiet for so long before breaking her silence only a few years ago. In this episode she speaks openly, honestly and vulnerably about her abuse and how difficult that period was, affecting her mental health and taking her to some dark places. But she talks about how motor racing helped her in her darkest hour and how she has come out the other side fighting. Her bravery, resilience, self awareness and humility are simply awe inspiring and I was truly blown away by this incredible young woman and her powerful story, as I know anyone listening to this episode will be.To watch the episode on YouTube click here 🧢https://youtu.be/KK4Hk8t5TgAOUR SPONSORSRivervale 🧢 https://www.rivervale.co.uk/Plus X 🧢 https://www.plusxinnovation.com/OUR PRODUCERSH2 Productions Ltd 🧢 https://h2productions.co.uk/
69. #E69 The Power of Breaking your Silence: The Story of Perry Power01:22:41Warning: Viewer Discretion Advised This episode contains content that may be alarming to some listeners. We do talk about intrafamilial child sexual abuse, which we know can be distressing.If you have concerns about the content or its potential impact, please seek support from a trusted friend, family member, or professional.This week I welcome the truly inspiring Perry Power to the podcast. Ranking up over 60M video views and 300k followers on social media, Perry Power raises awareness of intrafamilial child sexual abuse and inspires survivors to break their silence. Perry is a philanthropist, writer, speaker, and coach, with a passion for telling stories that need to be told. Perry's latest book, Breaking The Silence, reached the #1 spot on Amazon for Sexual Abuse and Mental Health. I was joined on this very special episode by my co-host the wonderful Jo Baldwin.I first heard Perry talk at the Acumen business convention and was blown away by his story, but having the opportunity to go a little deeper was so powerful and inspiring, he is a truly remarkable young man. I went into this episode with some assumptions as to how Perry would answer certain questions, especially our Life in 60 seconds questions, but what was clear from this incredible individual was that what happened to him as a child does not define him, his drive, vision, self belief and self awareness was simply inspiring to see. We do talk about when he was abused and the strength he showed to speak out about it and how breaking his silence has helped so many others around the world do the same. Three Key lessons:⭕️ Do not let a situation or incident define who you are 🟥 Have self belief and be unavailable for any other option🔺Have a vision and do not derail from that path, take the hits and keep moving forward This a truly powerful, incredible and inspirational episode and I loved his definition of success. To watch the episode on YouTube click here 🧢 https://youtu.be/DI4abYOUMbYOUR SPONSORSRivervale 🧢 https://www.rivervale.co.uk/Plus X 🧢 https://www.plusxinnovation.com/OUR PRODUCERSH2 Productions Ltd 🧢 https://h2productions.co.uk/If you have been affected by any of the content during this interview you can reach out to any of the below:Connect with Perry Power - https://www.linkedin.com/in/iamperrypower/Samaritans - https://www.samaritans.orgMy Black Dog - https://www.myblackdog.co/mental-health-charity