Freedom by Wham! - with Jude Rogers
Season 1, Ep. 2
Journalist and broadcaster Jude Rogers (The Sound of Being Human, A Life In Music) talks about the comforts of the song Freedom by Wham!
View all episodes
17. Friends - with Larry Rickard (PART TWO)48:41In the second part of our two part look at definitive 1990s sitcom Friends, Larry Rickard (Ghosts, Horrible Histories) talks about how comedy reflects its times, how audiences want (and don't want) things to change for their favourite comedy characters, and when it's time to say goodbye.This is PART TWO of a two part episode. If you haven't heard PART ONE, please go back and start there...
16. Friends - with Larry Rickard (PART ONE)44:54Writer and actor Larry Rickard (Ghosts, Horrible Histories) talks about his love for the smash hit 1990s sitcom Friends, and the craft of making warm, gag-filled, ensemble television comedy with your... er... friends.This is Part ONE of a two part episode.
15. Don't Look Now - with Danny Robins01:12:15Writer and broadcaster Danny Robins (Uncanny, 2:22 A Ghost Story) talks about the unexpected comforts of Nic Roeg's classic 1973 supernatural thriller Don't Look Now, a masterful study of how humans try and make sense of life, death and the unexplained.
14. Withnail & I - with Jim Howick01:08:09Actor and writer Jim Howick (Ghosts, Horrible Histories) talks about his love for Bruce Robinson's 1987 film 'Withnail & I', the studied debauchery of the striving, starving artist, its ache of regret for the 60s, and the strange, romantic comforts of desperation, booze and enormous herb-laced joints (lamb and otherwise).
13. Rush - with Rufus Wright01:01:37Actor Rufus Wright (Rogue One, Quantum of Solace, The Audience) talks about the comfort he gets from the often overlooked 1974 debut album by Canadian heavy prog rock trio Rush, and we share our thoughts on the appeal of heavy metal for teenage boys, the gawky magic of school bands, and the sweet horror of adolescent lyrics.
12. The Good Place - with Bec Hill01:05:25Comedian and writer Bec Hill (Makeaway Takeaway, Horror Heights, A Problem Squared) talks about the comforts of Michael Schur's philosophical afterlife sitcom The Good Place, and how comedy can tackle the really, really big stuff.
11. Laurel & Hardy - with Andrew Male (PART TWO)39:32The second part of our 2-part celebration of the sound shorts of Laurel & Hardy, with journalist Andrew Male (Sight & Sound, Mojo, Sunday Times), talking about Towed In A Hole, Their First Mistake, Them Thar Hills, and its sequel, Tit For Tat.Please do listen to part one first!
10. Laurel & Hardy - with Andrew Male (PART ONE)46:35Journalist Andrew Male (Sight & Sound, Sunday Times, Mojo) talks about the sound shorts of Laurel & Hardy, and the leap forward in comedy instigated by their unique, warm double act adapting to the new technology of sound.Part one of two, dealing with Stan and Ollie's craft, and looking at their Oscar winning 1932 short, The Music Box.
9. Spider-Man - with Carrie Quinlan (PART TWO)40:36PART TWO of actor and writer Carrie Quinlan talking about Spider-Man, and the endlessly retellable tale of the nerd-turned-neighbourhood superhero. This part talks in more depth about the latest Spider-Man film 'Across the Spiderverse'.If you haven't heard part one, please find it and start there!This is PART TWO of TWO.