Exploring the history of the Scofflaw cocktail not only leads to a deep dive on ingredients such as grenadine, but also delves into the unexpected origins of the word. Sharing this wonderful tale with us today is Kansas City’s Jill Cockson, owner of Drastic Measures, Swordfish Tom’s, Chartreuse Saloon, and Anna’s Place (Omaha). Listen on or read below to discover Cockson’s Scofflaw recipe — and don’t forget to subscribe!
Jill Cockson’s Scofflaw Recipe
- 2 ounces rye whiskey, such as Rittenhouse
- ¾ ounce fresh lemon juice
- ¾ ounce grenadine, homemade or high quality
- ¾ ounces dry vermouth, such as Dolin Blanc
Garnish: orange twist
1. Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice.
2. Shake until cold and double strain into a chilled Coupe glass.
3. Express an orange twist over the cocktail and drop in the drink as a garnish.