British Beauty Council - Career Insights
Episode 4: Sam McKnight
This episode of our Career Insights podcast sees our President of Education Pillar, Elizabeth Barnett Lawton, in conversation with legendary session hairstylist Sam McKnight, whose career has spanned five decades and whose work has graced over 200 Vogue covers.
Sam talks about being one of the first in the business to do session work and paving the way for future generations to work on shoots and shows. Sam also discusses the importance of networking, collaborations, and teamwork in a session environment working with busy styling teams and so much more! With such vast experience it’s impossible not to pick up some great tips for starting a career in session styling.
View all episodes
11. Episode 11: Sonia Haria52:01In this week's episode, our President of Education Pillar, Elizabeth Barnett Lawton, talks to our Advisory Board Member, Sonia Haria, Beauty Director at the Telegraph.Alongside studying Journalism at University, Sonia worked at one of the makeup stands in Peter Jones. It was here she found her love for the beauty industry and it's 'confidence boosting powers'. During her last year at university, Sonia left Peter Jones to start a 3-week internship at the Telegraph, this then led to a full-time job as a beauty writer for Stella magazine. In this episode, Sonia explains how she found herself in a very fortunate position whereby she was able to combine both her passions, Beauty and Journalism, in her everyday job.
10. Episode 10: Andrew Perera45:04In this week's episode, our President of Education Pillar, Elizabeth Barnett Lawton, talks to Andrew Perera, Partner/Managing Director of PR company, Brandstand Communications. With over 20 years experience in the Beauty industry and having worked with some of the biggest brands in the world, it’s fair to say that Andrew is a true PR maven. After finishing school, Andrew had very little idea of what career path he wanted to take. Like a lot of his friends, Andrew decided to study Business at college which he then continued through to university. A year into his university course, Andrew recognized the lack of creativity and excitement on his course. He decided to swap courses and went on to study Design Communications where he truly found his place. In this episode, Andrew explains the importance of exploring different career paths to find what you engage with and what you love. From explaining what a normal day in the office looks like to launching a product & brand, listen in to find out the ins and outs of working in a PR agency and the dexterity of keeping on top of an ever-changing industry.
9. Episode 9: Marian Newman BEM59:28In this week's episode, our President of Education Pillar, Elizabeth Barnett Lawton, talks to our Advisory Board Member, Marian Newman BEM, UK leading nail professional and European Brand Ambassador for CND.Having always been science focused, Marian started her career as a forensic scientist at the Metropolitan Police. Marian explains that after having her first child, she left the Met to pursue a career in behavioural therapy. It was only when her third child was born, that Marian ventured into the nail universe, which at the time was a very small and unexplored industry. Marian saw the opportunity to combine her love for science and teaching to create cutting-edge nail art. It goes without saying that Marian’s outstanding skills led her to becoming one of the world’s most reputable session manicurists and educator, collaborating with the biggest names in fashion including Vivienne Westwood, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs and Alexander McQueen.
8. Episode 8: Adam Chatterley39:42In this week's episode, our President of Education Pillar, Elizabeth Barnett Lawton, talks to Adam Chatterley, chairperson of the UK Spa Association and founder of Salon Business Secrets. Adam discusses his unconventional career path from studying economics and computer sciences to working as a multinational Spa consultant. Adam talks through the ins and outs of the Spa industry and the importance of keeping on top of the team's mental health and wellbeing. This inspiring and thought-provoking podcast is definitely worth a listen.
7. Episode 7: Gary Thompson33:04In this week’s Career Insights episode our President of Education Pillar, Elizabeth Barnett Lawton, talks to pioneer Gary Thompson, AKA ‘The Plastic Boy’, who breaks the boundaries of traditional make-up and beauty as a content creator, blogger, and make-up artist. Gary shares the evolution of his influencer identity from how he first got into beauty learning his make-up skills from the counter at MAC to gaining 290,000 followers on YouTube. Gary also talks about his experience in the beauty industry as a black male beauty blogger, and how he maintains his mental health to avoid burnout. Listen in for Gary’s tips and tricks in becoming an influencer including his tech-equipment must-haves, secrets to beat the algorithm, and how to create a community from your passion.
6. Episode 6: Syd Hayes38:01In this week's episode our President of Education Pillar, Elizabeth Barnett Lawton, speaks with legendary session stylist, salon owner and BaByliss Pro ambassador, Syd Hayes. Syd takes us through his career from first inspirations to present day accomplishments, sharing his secrets to success and explaining the difference between salon work and session work in the hairdressing industry. Syd also talks about how to set yourself up to be a strong session stylist by sharing his experiences from his first apprenticeship at Nicky Clarke to working with the likes of Gucci and models such as Kendall Jenner. Keep an eye out for his work in May’s edition of British Vogue!
5. Episode 5: Lan Nguyen57:26In this week's episode our President of Education Pillar, Elizabeth Barnett Lawton, talks to the globally renowned MUA Lan Nguyen. During this episode we find out about the signs from the universe that shaped Lan's career and the fateful meetings that led to amazing opportunities such as Paris couture fashion week and working with Dior. Lan's serendipitous story is proof of the endless opportunities the beauty industry provides. Listen in for pro tips on makeup portfolio building, versatile makeup on shoots and her collaboration with Revolution makeup.
3. Episode 3: Charlotte Mensah33:00This week's Career Insights podcast sees our President of Education Pillar, Elizabeth Barnett Lawton, speak to Charlotte Mensah, award winning salon owner, hair care product founder and creative director. To add to her list of achievements Charlotte also authored the book 'Good Hair' a hair care tips treasure trove for Afro, textured and mixed hair. During our session with Charlotte we discuss how her mother and sister inspired her career as hair time was family time and how this, over the years, evolved into a passion. Charlotte goes on to discuss her first job at Splinters under the watchful eye of mentor Winston Isaacs, she pays tribute to the importance of the professional values he instilled as well as helping her to polish her skills. Prepare to be inspired!