Mouldy Flat 'Made My Lung Collapse'

Mould and damp have long been a concern for many social housing tenants, and the death two-year old Awaab Ishak in Rochdale provided incontrovertible evidence (if any were needed) that it could be fatal.

The toddler's inquest ruled last November that he died "as a result of a severe respiratory condition caused due to prolonged exposure to mould in his home environment"

That set Byline Times’ own Sian Norris on a mission to establish how many others could be at risk, and her findings - though incomplete because of the weakness of Freedom Of Information laws - were damning. She found that thousands of families - including those with children - were at risk.

Host Adrian Goldberg hears from Sian, and Michelle - a tenant in Bristol - who says that exposure to mould caused her lung to collapse.

Produced in Birmingham by Adrian Goldberg.


Funded by subscriptions to the Byline Times.