Business of Betting with Jason Trost
E178 - Nigel Eccles - From Fanduel to Betdex
In this episode of the Business of betting Nigel Eccles joins the show. Nigel covers his early days at Flutter, his entrepreneurial journey with Fanduel, Betdex and entering the Crypto world. Finally, he gives his honest opinion on the industry.
01:29 His background: Starting at Flutter, taking over Betfair, Launching Betdaq
09:33 His entrepreuneur journey with Hubdub and Fanduel
12:30 Why Betfair is not the leader: Mistakes that prevented Betfair to be #1
15:13 Betfair Post Mortem: Missed on innovation, Marketing failure
21:10 FanDuel journey: The success, winning over casinos
24:57 Fantasy sports & sports betting: PASPA, his vision on the industry, being industry leader
32:36 Building an Exchange in the US: The sophistication of the market, Wire Act and liquidity
37:03 Betdex and Crypto: The purpose, the challenge of Ethereum, Solana, platform risk, the business model and liquidity
Follow us on:
Get in touch:
191. E191 - Chris Bevilacqua from SimpleBet42:33On this edition of the Business of Betting Podcast, Jason is joined by Chris Bevilacqua, Founder & CEO of SimpleBet. With a passion for sport held from an early age, Chris started his career as part of the video production team at NBC, making promos for NBA & NFL games. After a successful period in the TV industry in which Chris won awards, he decided to launch SimpleBet in 2018. SimpleBet is a B2B product development company using machine learning and automation to make every moment of every sporting event a betting opportunity. Timecodes:00:30 - Introduction to SimpleBet01:13 - Chris' passion for wrestling and the lessons it has taught him07:53 - Chris's background story 16:18 - The future of live sports broadcasting 23:50 - Why did Chris co-found SimpleBet?26:38 - The SimpleBet product and how it generates money28:35 - Does SimpleBet have competitors? How does it stand out?30:09 - Example of a SimpleBet market which can't be found elsewhere31:16 - How do SimpleBet get their data?35:25 - Will the likes of Draft Kings start to do this themselves?36:55 - The makeup of the business & what's next for SimpleBet41:42 - What does Chris want to do when he grows upFollow us on: https://twitter.com/bettingpod / @businessofbetting Get in touch: https://email@example.com #business #betting #podcast #businessofbetting #smarkets #exchange #sportsbook
190. E190 - Soo Kim from Bally's34:34On this edition of the Business of Betting Podcast, Jason is joined by Soo Kim, Chairman of Bally's Corporation. Soo is the founding partner of investment firm Standard General L.P. & is the firm's Managing Partner & Chief Investment Officer. Soo has a wealth of experience in the investment space, but has also been involved in the evolution of the gaming industry. Timecodes: 00:57 - Soo's background03:30 - What kind of entity is Standard General?05:09 - The structure of a Hedge Fund07:55 - Types of investment13:15 - What does Soo class himself as?17:35 - Bally's thesis23:48 - How does Bally's differ from its competitors?25:07 - Bally's acquisition strategy26:56 - Raising share price29:39 - Could the physical and online business be separated?30:47 - Soo's view on sports betting33:11 - What does Soo want to be when he grows up? Follow us on: https://twitter.com/bettingpod / @businessofbetting Get in touch: https://twitter.com/jasontrost firstname.lastname@example.org #business #betting #podcast #businessofbetting #smarkets #exchange #sportsbook
189. E189 - Dustin Gouker44:52On this edition of the Business of Betting Podcast, Jason is joined by Dustin Gouker, Consultant at Catena Media.Dustin's story began in the newspaper industry where he worked as a journalist for a number of years before venturing into marketing. In 2015, Dustin began to report on the sports betting and online poker industry for Legal Sports Report. His latest role was as a Vice President at Catena Media in charge of content. He is now acting as a consultant for Catena Media, while deciding what he would like to do next in his career.Timecodes:02:10 - Dustin's background04:15 - Daily Fantasy and Sports Betting10:45 - Dustin's opinions on sports betting in America14:50 - Jason v Dustin on regulation33:15 - What does Dustin make of 'The Big Four' in the US?35:40 - Dustin's view on a company like Smarkets43:25 - Next steps for DustinFollow us on: https://twitter.com/bettingpod / @businessofbettingGet in touch:https://twitter.com/jasontrost#business #betting #podcast #businessofbetting #smarkets #exchange #sportsbook
188. E188 - Joel Simkins from Houlihan Lokey42:50On this edition of the Business of Betting Podcast, Jason is joined by Joel Simkins, Managing Director in Houlihan Lokey's Technology Group. Joel began his career as a leading equity analyst before successfully transitioning to investment banking where he has gained a wealth of experience in the gaming industry. Jason and Joel cover a range of topics such as regulation in the industry, discussion on some of the leading sports betting companies, Joel's advice to young entrepreneurs and much more!Follow us on: https://twitter.com/bettingpod / @businessofbettingGet in touch:https://twitter.com/jasontrost#business #betting #podcast #businessofbetting #smarkets #exchange #sportsbook
187. E187 - Dean Sisun from Prophet Exchange44:41On this edition of the Business of Betting Podcast, Jason is joined by Dean Sisun, CEO & co-founder of Prophet Exchange. They discuss why and how Prophet was set up, how Prophet compares to its competitors & much more before there is a twist to the second half of the podcast!Timecodes:00:27 - The founding story of the Prophet Exchange03:43 - What is Prophet doing that its competitors aren't?05:00 - Why move back to the US to launch?07:25 - When did Prophet launch & how is it going?09:40 - How does Prophet compare to Sport Trade?12:21 - How does Prophet compare to top-tier sportsbooks?14:14 - The challenges behind building Prophet.19:40 - How is Dean managing the challenge of attracting funding in the current economic climate?25:35 - Dean's questions for JasonFollow us on: https://twitter.com/bettingpod / @businessofbettin... Get in touch:https://twitter.com/jasontrost
186. E186 - Leigh Nissim, Future Anthems36:51
185. E185 - Justin Dellario, CEO of unikrn42:01Justin is joined by Justin Dellario, CEO of eSports betting company, unikrn, on the latest edition of the Business of Betting Podcast. Justin explains what unikrn is, how the world of eSports works and what sports betting has to do with eSports.
184. E184 - Varun Sudhakar from BetDEX46:06Jason is joined by Varun Sudhakar, CEO & Founder of BetDEX in the latest episode of the Business of betting Pod. Varun shares his story, the inner workings of BetDEX, and his ambitions for the future of the company.
183. E183 - Alex Kane from Sporttrade47:11Jason is joined by Alex Kane, CEO and Founder of Sporttrade Inc. in the latest episode of the Business of betting Pod. Alex shares his startup story, as well as his views on the growth of the American sportsbook industry, and his vision for the future of the industry and exchanges.04:01 Sporttrade: The humble beginnings06:25 Alex’s Startup and Investment Round journey08:18 Techstars to launch12:31 Building the Sporttrade matching engine16:00 Pre & Post trade challenges19:33 Sporttrade vs the competition24:09 The role of market makers27:00 The Sporttrade business model29:56 Competitors and the customer acquisition challenge32:22 Sporttrade vs Prophet33:49 Why choose Sporttrade?42:28 The end of price time?Follow us on: https://twitter.com/bettingpodhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCheYAzYxx-FmWkjbnZ9sXcAGet in touch:https://twitter.com/jasontrost