Dhru Purohit Podcast
Two Crucial Things To Focus On If You Care About Longevity, Weight Loss And Metabolic Health With Dr. Don Layman
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough, Mitopure, and BON CHARGE.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Dr. Donald Layman, a pioneer in establishing optimal protein and amino-acid requirements for chronic disease prevention, performance, and longevity. Dhru and Dr. Layman discuss the importance of dietary protein for blood sugar control, building muscle mass, weight loss, and preventing age-related loss of lean tissue.
Dr. Donald Layman is one of the world’s leading researchers on protein and amino-acid requirements for athletes, adult health, and chronic disease prevention. His research is focused on the impact of diet and exercise on the most troublesome chronic diseases today: obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and metabolic syndrome. With a highly respected academic career spanning over four decades, Dr. Layman has received numerous awards for his research publications in optimal protein intake, glycemic control, and weight loss. He has both a master’s degree in biochemistry and a doctorate in nutrition and biochemistry.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Layman dive into:
-Misconceptions around protein (3:03)
-The downsides of not getting adequate dietary protein (11:18)
-Protein, muscle synthesis, and longevity (13:08)
-Dhru’s South Asian heritage and risk for cardiovascular disease (20:14)
-Why dietary protein is important for women (32:55)
-The history behind the RDA for protein intake (36:11)
-Fasting and protein intake to prevent muscle wasting (41:46)
-Early epidemiological research and the deprioritization of animal protein (51:29)
-Leucine: the rate-limiting amino acid in muscle protein synthesis (1:06:46)
-Resistance training and protein requirements for weight loss (1:17:32)
-The pros of industry-funded nutrition research (1:31:54)
-mTOR, protein intake, muscle synthesis, and cancer risk (1:40:50)
-Building your diet around protein intake (1:54:55)
Also mentioned in this episode:
-Dr. Layman’s research publications
For more on Dr. Donald Layman, follow him on Twitter @donlayman or through his website, https://www.metabolictransformation.com.
Magnesium Breakthrough really stands out from the other magnesium supplements out there. BiOptimizers is offering my community 10% off plus a special gift with purchase, so just head over to magbreakthrough.com/dhru with code DHRU10.
Mitopure is the first and only clinically tested, pure form of a natural gut metabolite called urolithin A that clears damaged mitochondria away from our cells and supports the growth of new, healthy mitochondria. Head on over to timelinenutrition.com/dhru for 10% off.
BON CHARGE is a holistic wellness brand with a HUGE range of evidence-based products to optimize your life. Right now, my community can go to boncharge.com/DHRU and use coupon code DHRU to save 15%.
211. Why Nobody Is Having Great Sex & How To Make it Amazing with Dr. Emily Morse02:02:29This episode is brought to you by Cozy Earth, Pique Life, and Lifeforce. Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Dr. Emily Morse to talk about the top mistakes that couples make when it comes to sex, how to have conversations about initiating sex, pornography, and masturbation, the top misconceptions men and women have about their partner’s sexuality, and so much more.Dr. Emily Morse is the host of the award-winning #1 sexuality podcast, Sex With Emily, which has been on the air for nearly two decades. Dr. Morse is a MasterClass instructor on sex and communication and was previously a radio host and executive producer on SiriusXM. Dr. Morse’s mission is to liberate the conversation about sex and pleasure, which is why she wrote Smart Sex: How to Boost Your Sex IQ and Own Your Own Pleasure (set to be released on June 13).In this episode, Dhru and Emily dive into:-What gets in the way of couples having great communication (2:06)-Common misinformation about sex (4:34)-Pleasure thieves that get in the way of intimacy (18:30)-Initiating sex (37:50)-Biggest misconceptions that men have about women and that women have about men (49:56)-Tools for getting people for having conversations about sex (56:53)-How pornography gets in the way of creating true intimacy (1:06:40)-Getting comfortable talking about masturbation with your partner (1:16:13)-Roadblocks that get in the way of having smarter sex (1:31:05)-Date night do’s and don’ts (1:33:13)-Crucial topics to discuss at the beginning stages of a relationship (1:43:28)-Outsourcing help and how to find a sex therapist (1:50:22)-What does a healthy sex life look like? (1:56:29)Also mentioned in this episode:-Preorder Smart Sex here.-sexwithemily.com-Sex With Emily podcast-Emily’s free guides (Yes, No, Maybe Guide, Pleasure Planner, The Three Ts, and more)-Emily’s Sex and Communication MasterClassFor more on Emily Morse, follow her on Instagram @sexwithemily and YouTube @sexwithemily.Cozy Earth has the most comfortable, temperature-regulating, and nontoxic sheets on the market. Right now, get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use code DHRU.For a limited time, Pique is offering my community 12% off their fasting tea bundle plus an exclusive gift! So head on over to Piquelife.com/Dhru to redeem this exclusive offer today!Lifeforce is a revolutionary new health platform that’s changing the game when it comes to personalized performance and longevity-based action plans. Right now, get 15% off your first purchase at mylifeforce.com with code DHRU.
210. Could Having a Spiritual Void Drive Stress, Anxiety, and Worry? With Jon Gordon02:07:52This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough and InsideTracker. Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Jon Gordon to discuss why moving from a place of separation, anxiety, and fearfulness to oneness is key to unlocking our purpose and potential. Jon discusses how he overcame his negative mindset and shifted his perspective on life by adopting a gratitude practice and becoming grounded in his faith. Jon Gordon is a best-selling author and keynote speaker who has inspired millions of people worldwide. His principles have been tested by numerous Fortune 500 companies, professional and college sports teams, school districts, hospitals, and nonprofits. He has written 28 books, including 14 best-sellers and five children’s books. His latest book, The One Truth, is set to be released on June 27th, 2023. In this episode, Dhru and Jon dive into:-What’s possible when you go from separation to oneness (2:23)-The five D’s (4:23)-Jon’s story of overcoming negativity (18:25)-How the duality of life promotes separation (27:56)-Quieting the mind to move toward oneness (31:35)-Spirituality as a guiding force into oneness (38:42)-How childhood wounds lead to separation (48:51)-The relationship between physical health, separateness, and oneness (56:21)-Ignorance as a sign of separation (1:04:20)-Daily action steps toward oneness (1:21:38)-The History of the Soul (1:39:37)-An early miracle that Jon experienced (1:44:50)-Shifting your perspective and becoming open to receiving (1:50:05)-How Jon’s religious beliefs shaped his and his family’s life (1:52:32)Also mentioned in this episode:-Heaven And Hell Are 'Not What Jesus Preached' -The Energy Bus-Preorder The One Truth here. -Positive University PodcastFor more on Jon Gordon, follow him on Instagram @jongordon11, YouTube @JonGordon11, and Facebook @jongordon, or through his website, jongordon.com.Right now, you can get 10% off Sleep Breakthrough. And if you buy two or more, you’ll get a free bottle of Magnesium Breakthrough. This is a limited-time offer! So just go to sleepbreakthrough.com/dhru and use code dhru10.InsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 20% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out yourself.
209. The Mind-Blowing Science of Manifestation with Neuroscientist Dr. Tara Swart02:09:29This episode is brought to you by Cozy Earth, WHOOP, and BON CHARGE.Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Dr. Tara Swart to talk about the power of manifestation and its impact on the brain.Dr. Tara Swart is a neuroscientist, former psychiatric doctor, and senior lecturer at MIT Sloan. She is visiting senior lecturer at Kings College, London, and an executive advisor to some of the world's most respected leaders in media and business. She is the lead author of the award-winning book Neuroscience for Leadership and was named the world's first Neuroscientist in Residence at Corinthia Hotel, London. In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Swart dive into:-Visualization and manifestation (2:19)-The role of gratitude in manifestation (4:16)-What fear-based media does to the brain (12:03)-Defining manifestation: what it is and is not (18:30)-How old stories shape the brain (27:53)-A mantra for overcoming self-doubt (42:17)-Cultivating awareness under pressure (47:32)-Merging meditation and mindfulness (59:25)-Creating an action board for manifestation (1:07:43)-Roadblocks that get in the way of taking action (1:19:31)-Lifestyle factors that contribute to manifestation and healthy aging (1:34:03)-Figuring out what you want to manifest (1:41:33)-How spiritual beliefs play into manifestation (1:48:03)-How to navigate grief and suffering (2:01:23)Also mentioned in this episode:-The Source: The Secrets of the Universe, the Science of the Brain-Dr. Tara Swart’s podcast, Reinvent Yourself-“When you want something, the whole universe conspires in order for you to achieve it.” — The Alchemist-Click here to sign up for my weekly Try This newsletterFor more on Tara Swart, follow her on Instagram @drtaraswart, or through her website, taraswart.com. Cozy Earth has the most comfortable, temperature-regulating, and nontoxic sheets on the market. Right now, get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use code DHRU.WHOOP is a personalized digital fitness tracker and health coaching platform that monitors your physiology 24/7 and provides personalized recommendations based on your body needs. To get yours, go to join.whoop.com and get your first month free.BON CHARGE is a holistic wellness brand with a HUGE range of evidence-based products to optimize your life. Right now, my community can go to boncharge.com/DHRU and use coupon code DHRU to save 15%.
208. The Top Signs and Signals You Aren't Aging Well: Dr. Kelly & Juliet Starrett on The Power of Mobility, Sleep, Fiber, and Protein02:13:20This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers Sleep Breakthrough, Lifeforce, and ButcherBox.Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Juliet and Kelly Starrett to discuss their practical, no-frills approach to promoting durability and mobility as we age.Juliet Starrett is an entrepreneur, attorney, author, podcaster, and professional whitewater paddler, winning three world championships and five national titles. Dr. Kelly Starrett consults with athletes and coaches from the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, the US Olympic Team, elite Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard forces. Juliet and Kelly Starrett founded The Ready State fitness podcast and blog, San Francisco Cross Fit, co-authors of the Wall Street Journal bestseller Deskbound and the New York Times best-seller Built to Move. In this episode, Dhru, Juliet, and Kelly dive into:-Why the sit and rise test is a key marker of longevity (2:23)-The major milestones where declines in mobility start to happen (13:52)-The power of walking for longevity (23:57)-How to build up your sleep pressure (28:17)-Increasing your durability to aging (40:51)-Fundamentals for longevity that make the biggest impact (45:38)-Breaking free from diet culture and finding what works best for you (52:00)-The 800 grams of fiber challenge (56:08)-Why metabolic flexibility is the ultimate marker of a successful diet (1:18:50)-Recommendations for sleep (1:28:08)-Creating a movement-rich environment (1:33:11)-Mobility for everyday movement (1:42:33)-At-home tests for determining your range of motion (1:54:08)-Societal shifts for creating a healthier lifestyle for the next generation (2:00:48)Also mentioned in this episode:-Builttomove.com-Built to Move 21-Day Challenge-Get Kelly and Juliet’s latest book, Built to Move here. For more on Juliet and Kelly Starrett, follow The Ready State on Instagram @thereadystate, Facebook @TheReadyState, and Twitter @thereadystate.Right now, you can get 10% off Sleep Breakthrough. And if you buy two or more, you’ll get a free bottle of Magnesium Breakthrough. This is a limited-time offer! So just go to sleepbreakthrough.com/dhru and use code dhru10.Lifeforce is a revolutionary new health platform that’s changing the game when it comes to personalized performance and longevity-based action plans. Right now, get 15% off your first purchase at Mylifeforce.com with code DHRU.ButcherBox has a variety of different boxes, and you can choose your box and frequency. For a limited time, you can sign up today and get 2 lbs of ground beef free for a whole year PLUS $20 off by going to butcherbox.com/dhru.
207. The Root Causes of Memory Loss & How to Build an Alzheimer’s Resistant Brain with Dr. Dale Bredesen01:51:55This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough, Pique Life, and Beekeeper’s Naturals. This week on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Dr. Dale Bredesen, one of the most esteemed voices and researchers in Alzheimer’s disease, to talk about the first steps to preventing cognitive decline and lowering your risk of Alzheimer’s.Dr. Dale Bredesen is internationally recognized as an expert in Alzheimer's disease and the author of the New York Times bestsellers The End of Alzheimer's, The End of Alzheimer's Program, and his latest book, The First Survivors of Alzheimer'sIn this episode, Dhru and Dr. Bredesen dive into:-Why nobody should get Alzheimer’s disease (2:38)-Why Alzheimer’s disease prevention isn’t talked about more (11:26)-Immune-system activators that drive Alzheimer’s (20:08)-Fructose and Alzheimer’s disease (27:30)-Saturated fat and Alzheimer’s disease (32:44)-The role of the microglia in Alzheimer’s disease (41:15)-Personalized medical interventions for successful Alzheimer’s treatment (47:36)-How to reduce your risk of Alzheimer’s (57:40)-Mold toxicity and Alzheimer’s disease (1:01:43)-Basic diet and lifestyle interventions for Alzheimer’s prevention (1:07:33)-Measuring biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease (1:30:55)-What has changed where people are getting Alzheimer’s so young (1:38:10)-Steps you can take to prevent Alzheimer’s (1:48:00)Also mentioned in this episode:-Dr. Dale Bredesen’s dementia-reversal clinical trial, Evanthea-KetoFLEX 12/3-Free cognoscopy assessment-The First Survivors of Alzheimer'sFor more on Dr. Bredesen, follow him on Facebook @drdalebredesen, and through his website, apollohealthco.com.Right now, you can get 10% off Sleep Breakthrough. And if you buy two or more you’ll get a free bottle of Magnesium Breakthrough. This is a limited-time offer! So just go to sleepbreakthrough.com/dhru and use code dhru10.Right now, you can enjoy 15% off Pique’s Pu’er tea bundle plus free shipping FOR LIFE. You’ll also get a bonus pouch with 12 of Pique’s other premium teas. Head to piquelife.com/dhru to treat yourself to the highest-quality tea out there.Right now, Beekeeper’s Naturals is offering my listeners early access to their Memorial Day sale. Between now and May 30th, go to beekeepersnaturals.com/DHRU and enter code “DHRU” to get 25% off your entire order.
206. The Toxic Truth About Sugar and Its True Impact on the Brain, Our Mitochondria, and Waistline with Dr. Robert Lustig02:48:09This episode is brought to you by InsideTracker, LMNT, and Joovv.Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Dr. Robert Lustig to talk about the impact of added sugar on mitochondrial health and metabolism and how to cut down on consumption on an individual and global scale. Dr. Robert Lustig is a neuroendocrinologist with expertise in metabolism, obesity, and nutrition. He is also one of the leaders of the current “anti-sugar” movement that is changing the food industry, in part through his game-changing books. His latest work is Metabolical: The Lure and the Lies of Processed Food, Nutrition, and Modern Medicine.In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Lustig dive into:-What to expect after you significantly cut down on added sugar (3:04)-The safest level of sugar to consume (8:12)-The effects of large amounts of sugar inside the body (33:21)-Sugar as the main driver of metabolic disease (40:06)-How mitochondrial health impacts metabolic health (44:30)-Eight drivers of disease and how to fight them (50:05)-Omega-3 fats for cellular health (57:45)-The role of omega-6 fats in creating health and disease (1:04:26)-Gut health as a primary source of chronic inflammation (1:10:15)-Should ultra-processed food be considered real food? (1:20:17)-Dietary recommendations for safe sugar consumption (1:32:51)-Recommendations for “safely” drinking alcohol (1:37:00)-Why the makeup of our calories matters (1:44:03)-Thin on the outside, fat on the inside (TOFI) (1:47:52)-The three sites of fat deposition in the body (1:50:18)-Findings from the SHINE study (1:56:36)-The Metabolic Matrix (feed the gut, protect the liver, and support the brain) (2:07:45)-Future directions for processed food and government policy (2:27:50)-Action items for reducing the added sugar in your diet (2:43:29)For more on Dr. Robert Lustig, follow him on YouTube @robertlustig, and his website, robertlustig.com. Also mentioned in this episode:-Get his book, Metabolical, here-The SHINE randomized controlled trial-Dr. Lustig’s new paper, The Metabolic MatrixInsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 20% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out yourself.Right now, LMNT is offering my listeners a free sample pack with any purchase. That’s eight single-serving packets FREE with any LMNT order. This is a great way to try all eight flavors or share LMNT with a salty friend. Get yours at DrinkLMNT.com/DHRU.Enhance your health with red and infrared LED light therapy with Joovv. Right now, Joovv is offering an exclusive offer on your first order. Head over to Joovv.com/dhru and apply my code DHRU.
205. The Top Do's and Don'ts of Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss and Longevity with Thomas DeLauer01:50:16This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers Sleep Breakthrough, WHOOP, BON CHARGE, and InsideTracker.This week on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with health and fitness educator Thomas DeLauer to discuss the myths, nuances, and benefits of intermittent fasting for metabolic health.Thomas DeLauer is an expert in diet, nutrition, and all things intermittent fasting. Thomas is best known for breaking down complex and nuanced health topics into simpler terms for his audience and for his open mindset toward challenging his own beliefs in the field of diet and nutrition. In this episode, Dhru and Thomas dive into:-What makes intermittent fasting underrated (2:12)-Real-life examples of metabolic flexibility (5:22)-Where Thomas’s beliefs about intermittent fasting have evolved (7:25)-The standard American approach to fasting (17:47)-How Thomas discovered fasting (26:36)-Tips and tricks to make fasting sustainable (30:05)-16:8 fasting (37:18)-Why tracking calories might be beneficial in the short term (41:11)-Do’s and don’ts of fasting for weight loss (49:02)-Fasting for longevity (55:36)-Common fasting mistakes (58:25)-Debunking fasting myths (1:15:11)-Stress as an overlooked area of health (1:22:47)-How our environment impacts our behaviors (1:38:30)Also mentioned in this episode:-@meowmeix Instagram account-5 Ways to Measure Fasting Effectiveness-Why Dr. Peter Attia Changed His Mind on FastingFor more on Thomas DeLauer, follow him on Instagram @thomasdelauer, YouTube @ThomasDeLauerOfficial, and through his website, thomasdelauer.com.Right now, you can get 10% off Sleep Breakthrough. And if you buy two or more you’ll get a free bottle of Magnesium Breakthrough. This is a limited-time offer! So just go to sleepbreakthrough.com/dhru and use code dhru10.WHOOP is a personalized digital fitness tracker and health coaching platform that monitors your physiology 24/7 and provides personalized recommendations based on what your body needs. Head on over to join.whoop.com/dhru to get your first month free on WHOOP.BON CHARGE is a holistic wellness brand with a HUGE range of evidence-based products to optimize your life. Right now, my community can go to boncharge.com/DHRU and use coupon code DHRU to save 15%.InsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 20% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out for yourself.
204. Becoming Heart Attack-Proof By Protecting Your Endothelial Health35:05This episode is brought to you by Birch Mattress by Helix, Cozy Earth, and Lifeforce. In today’s minisode, Dhru discusses the lessons he’s learned on his heart health journey and the critical role our endothelial health plays in our risk for heart disease. He shares what damages the endothelial lining, which coats the inside of over 60,000 miles of blood vessels, and how you can strengthen it by supporting your mitochondria, circadian rhythm, sleep, and more. Dhru also discusses his personal experience navigating high cholesterol despite making diet and lifestyle changes and how working with Dr. Michael Twyman and getting a series of lab tests helped him get a deeper look into what’s going on with his heart health.In this episode, Dhru dives into:-Crazy heart disease statistics (00:42)-Endothelial dysfunction as the root cause of heart disease (4:30)-The three events that lead up to a heart attack (6:28)-How plaque forms in our arteries (11:30)-Important lab tests for cardiovascular health(12:37)-Dhru’s heart health history (13:40)-Simple strategies to protect your endothelial lining (18:53)-Supporting and protecting your mitochondria (19:57)-Tips for programming your circadian rhythm (21:06)-Sleep hygiene and heart health (22:09)-Stress management and heart health (22:36)-Dietary factors (24:37)-Smoking and vaping (27:15)Also mentioned in this episode:-Sign up for the Try This Newsletter here.-Try This: Becoming Heart Attack-Proof by Protecting Your Endothelial Health-Try This: The Miracle Molecule You Need To “NO” About-Episode 158 with Dr. Louis Ignarro-Episode 383 with Dr. Michael Twyman-Dr. Michael Twyman’s website, drtwyman.com. -Dr.Michael Twyman’s @drtwyman-Episode 378 with Dr. Sunjya Schweig Sleep Master ClassBirch mattress by Helix is made of organic latex, cotton, New Zealand wool, and American steel springs. To get 20% off your Birch Living mattress, head to birchliving.com/dhru today.Cozy Earth has the most comfortable, temperature-regulating, and non-toxic sheets on the market. Right now, get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use code DHRULifeforce is a revolutionary new health platform that’s changing the game when it comes to personalized performance and longevity-based action plans. Right now, get 15% off your first purchase at Mylifeforce.com with code DHRU.
203. The Top Underrated (and OVERRATED) Foods and Health Habits with Dr. Rupy Aujla02:14:03This episode is brought to you by Cozy Earth, WHOOP, and BON CHARGE.This week on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with his friend Dr. Rupy Aujla to discuss the top underrated and overrated areas of wellness, common roadblocks that get in the way of healthy eating, and why education is crucial to making positive change. Dr. Rupy Aujla is one of the most influential medical doctors in the UK. He is completing a nutritional medicine master's program while sharing practical insights into healthy eating and thoughtful recipes. Dr. Rupy founded The Doctor’s Kitchen, which strives to inspire and educate about the power of food as medicine and how to cook delicious recipes using carefully selected evidence-based ingredients. Dr. Rupy is a Sunday Times bestselling author with four published cookbooks, The Doctor’s Kitchen, Eat to Beat Illness, Doctor's Kitchen 3-2-1, and the most recent, Cooks - Healthy.Easy.Flavour.In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Rupy dive into:-Roadblocks to consistently eating well (2:09)-Top underrated areas of wellness (6:05)-Top overrated areas of wellness (20:11)-Doubling down on sleep, diet, and exercise (29:30)-Why you might benefit from taking a coffee break (33:30)-Calorie tracking for weight loss (40:31)-How wearables provide insight for making healthy behavior changes (44:40)-Why supplements are overrated in the context of a healthy lifestyle (55:34)-Corruption and controversies with peer-reviewed studies (58:00)-The need for education to make positive lifestyle changes (1:25:16)-Changing our environment to make healthy options the default (1:36:52)-Dr. Rupy’s health journey (1:40:16)-The Doctor’s Kitchen app (2:01:58)Also mentioned in this episode:-The Doctor’s Kitchen app-Joyful Entrepreneur podcast-The Doctor’s KitchenBON CHARGE is a holistic wellness brand with a HUGE range of evidence-based products to optimize your life. Right now, my community can go to boncharge.com/DHRU and use coupon code DHRU to save 15%.Cozy Earth are the most comfortable, temperature-regulating, and nontoxic sheets on the market. Right now, get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use code DHRU.WHOOP is a personalized digital fitness tracker and health coaching platform that monitors your physiology 24/7 and provides personalized recommendations based on what your body needs. Head on over to join.whoop.com/dhru to get your first month free on WHOOP.