Special Past Access DYK: Epic Fail of the Sinking of the Vasa
The sinking of the Vasa in 1628 was a tragic and expensive failure by the Swede navy.
On her maiden test run in August of that year, this top-heavy flagship took on water after opening the canon gunports and sank within minutes.
Found nearly 330 years later, the Vasa was brought to the surface and underwent decades of conservation to be placed in its own state-of-the-art museum in Stockholm.
This epic fail turned out to be a historic gift for millions of visitors to this amazing museum.
View all episodes
84. Past Access Presents: The Great War Revisited (PART ONE)20:03Part One........The Great War was a traumatic world event that helped shape the 20th century and continues to influence the world today. Follow Pete Collman to Belgium, France, Germany, Czech Republic, Spain, and the United States to witness how the global community paid tribute to all those lost and forever changed by World War One.Past Access visited museums and battlefields across Europe to test limits of wheelchair accessibility at these historic locations from 2014 through 2018. The two years that followed were full of research and editing leading to this 2-part documentary....The Great War Revisited.
83. Past Access Presents: The Great War Revisited (Part Two)29:30In Part Two of the Great War Revisited, follow Pete Collman to the battle of the Somme, Verdun, Passchendaele, and many points in between to experience the trauma we know as World War One.Past Access visited museums and battlefields across Europe to test limits of wheelchair accessibility at these historic locations from 2014 through 2021.
82. The Czechoslovak Legion: Homeward Bound05:37Modern-day re-enactors commemorate the unique contribution the Czechs and Slovaks made to one of the more interesting stories of the great war.....the Czechoslovak legionnaires battle to the sea.
81. A Czech Merry Christmas16:01It is Christmastime again in the Czech Republic and even though the Covid Pandemic has put a damper on the normal celebrations, the spirit of Christmas still survives.We will take you on a nostalgic tour of the Prague Christmas market back in 2019 and offer you a seat at the Christmas Eve dinner table in 2020.Join Pete as he waits for the Golden Pig and preps for Czech Christmas Carp. Czech holiday traditions are alive and well in 2020!!!Veselé Vánoce!!!
80. Special Past Access DYK: Cher Ami and the Lost Battalion13:52World War One was full of many great stories of bravery, sacrifice, and loss. The American "Lost Battalion" was one such story. Over 600 American infantrymen were surrounded by German forces in the Argonne Forrest in October of 1918. Their own American artillery mistakenly fired on their position and the only saving option rested on the wings of the carrier pigeon named Cher Ami.Veteran Suicide Hotlines:🇺🇸 USAwww.veteranscrisisline.net
78. Special Past Access DYK: 1970 Marshall University Plane Crash12:24This year marks the 50th anniversary of the 1970 Marshall University plane crash that took the lives of the 75 member football team, coaching staff, and boosters.Join Pete Collman as DYK looks back at the crash and the rebirth of this proud collegiate football program that rose from the ashes of tragedy to the joy of gridiron triumph.
77. Special Past Access DYK: Comics!! Comic-Con in Prague16:02Comic book superheroes take center stage on this edition of Past Access: Did You Know.Pete is on location at the 2020 ComicCon in Prague.Take a look at the history of this artistic pop culture medium and find out some of Pete's favorite comic storylines and graphic novels.Dust off that cape, it's time for a tour through comics history.
76. Special Past Access DYK: The Executioner of Prague17:39Executioner of Prague, Jan Mydlar, was a well known 17th-century man of the sword.His duty to his craft of torture and execution came in direct conflict with his personal sentiments with the condemned noblemen of the uprising known as the Battle of White Mountain.In 1621, the 27 noblemen that organized the protestant uprising we led from the gallows to the execution site in Prague's Old Town Square.Waiting for them, with sword in hand, Jan Mydlar......the Executioner of Prague.