124. 124: Guess the WSP Year01:43:02Harvey is joined by friend of the show Sam Holt, who updates us on his recent tour out west with Jojo and some upcoming Remembering Mikey shows. Then they play everyone's favorite podcast game, Guess the Year. Honoring the work of the OG Guess the Year Grateful Dead podcast. Harvey asks Sam to guess the year of some great Panic passages of the past. And then finally, Sam plays some great unreleased recordings from 1990 and 1993. And a fantastic solo Michael House tune called "Boat of Longing".
123. 123: Holt Team 202301:26:29We check in with friend of the podcast, Sam Holt, as he and his friends get ready to hit the road for a short tour through the southeast. We talk about that, fall 2000, and of course, Mikey and Todd.https://www.samholtband.com/
122. 122: TEWSY at 2001:27:55We are joined by brothers Geoff and Christopher Hanson, the guys behind 2002's The Earth Will Swallow You, a documentary that follows Widespread Panic in 2000 and looks at a band at their zenith.Be sure to check out The Earth Will Swallow You on Nugs on Saturday January 21st at 8pm.And check out www.ScrappleMercantile.com for more from the Hansons.
121. 121: Remembering Mikey 20 with Sam Holt01:44:41In this episode, Harvey is joined by Sam Holt, longtime Widespread Panic fan and former guitar tech and band member, to discuss the 20th anniversary of Michael Houser's passing and Sam's post-Panic shows in Atlanta.Sam pulled out two old soundboard tapes and some of each are included here:11/8/00 - Hult Center, Eugene, ORDisco > Ride Me High > No Sugar Tonight11/29/00 - Assembly Hall, Champaign, ILSandbox, Driving Song > Breathing Slow > B of DFor more info about the upcoming shows and to get tickets, go here:https://samholtband.com/shows
120. 120: Distractions, Distractions01:10:00Well, if you enjoy wandering conversations about nothing terribly impactful or relevant to your lives, then this is the episode for you! Jeff spends much of this short episode distracted by the brilliance of Ja Morant (47-8-8 in a playoff game!), and then asks Harvey the question of all questions about Goose and Joe Russo’s Almost Dead: “But, why do you like it?” Harvey provides a passionate enough answer to pique Jeff’s interest, but will it move beyond a quick Relisten listen? Come back for the next ep and find out! Beyond that, we talk about My Morning Jacket, Old Forester bourbon, Panic in Wilmington, Panic in Huntsville, and then brainstorm ideas for a new Panic project. If nothing else, check out these face melting links below! ****Links below go to whole show streams on Relisten powered by Panicstream*Widespread Panic - 03 May 1997 - Pelham, AL - Oak MountainDinerWidespread Panic - 07 May 1997 - Louisville, KY - Palace TheaterHatfield > Let’s Get the Show on the Road > Radio ChildWidespread Panic - 08 May 1997 - Chicago, IL - Vic TheaterMaggot Brain > Chilly WaterWidespread Panic - 10 May 1997 - St. Paul, MN - Roy Wilkins AuditoriumGreta > Stop-GoJoe Russo’s Almost Dead - 28 April 2022 - Newport, KY - Promowest Pavilion Bertha
119. 119: Still Right Here, Still Just Here, Brave Little Friends02:23:42Our first show of 2022 (?!?) and we hit the ground running with a great interview with former Panic taper, guitar tech, and band member, Sam Holt, who shares with us some of his favorite moments from spring 1992, recalls some special moments from Mikey’s last full tour in spring 2002, what it was like to sit in with Jerry Joseph, and looks ahead with great excitement to three Sam Holt Band shows he has coming up in May that will pay tribute to Mikey and Todd Nance. After Sam exits, Jeff and Harvey get caught up with each other, look back at the first few shows of 2022, and ahead to what is shaping up to be a pretty robust 2022 tour. ***Learn more about the upcoming Remembering Mikey shows at RememberingMikey.comSam Holt Band Presents Remembering Mikey – A Musical Celebration of Michael Houser & Todd NanceMay, 12 Isis – Asheville, NC (Buy Tickets)May, 13 The Pour House – Charleston, SC (Buy Tickets)May, 14 Avondale Brewing – Birmingham, AL (Buy Tickets)*Links below go to whole show streams on Relisten powered by Panicstream*Jerry Joseph and the Jackmormons03 May 2002 - Athens, GA - The Georgia TheatreThree Mile Island (with Sam Holt)Widespread Panic27 February 1992 - Atlanta, GA - The MasqueradeEliza's Apt., FishwaterWidespread Panic21 March 1992 - Denver CO - Herman’s HideawayDriving Song > Me & the Devil Blues > Driving Song > DiscoWidespread Panic25 May 1992 - Winston-Salem, NC - Ziggy'sEntering a Blackhole Backwards > Chilly Water
118. 118: Milwookie, Nolaween, and Living in the Past01:47:26Milwookie, Nolaween, and Living in the Past------------------------------This week, we recap four solid shows from the Riverside Theater in Milwaukee, an annual stop for the band and fast becoming a must-see run for all the Panic fans out there.Looking ahead, we wishcast a few covers for the upcoming Nolaween run at UNO Lakefront Arena, and, as we always do around this of year, wax poetic about the 1997-2000 Halloween runs. No existential talk this episode, but we hint at a serious conversation in the weeks ahead - don’t worry kids, we’re not breaking up. And, big surprise here, Jeff rattles off his favorite Fall 1996 shows. Have fun in NOLA everyone, and be safe!****Links below go to whole show streams from Panicstream.*22 October 2021 - Milwaukee, WI - Riverside TheaterGradle > Gimme > Entering a Blackhole Backwards > Chilly Water > Four Cornered Room > Chilly Water > Life During Wartime23 October 2021 - Milwaukee, WI - Riverside TheaterDiner > Ophelia > The Shape I’m in24 October 2021 - Milwaukee, WI - Riverside TheaterJam > Love Tractor > Riders on the Storm29 October 1996 - Kalamazoo, MI - State TheaterDiner, Nobody’s Fault But Mine > Machine > Barstools and Dreamers
117. 117: Mempho in the Rear View01:20:59Despite the best efforts of the rain to keep the party from happening, Mempho Festival 2021 was a grand time! Panic played two really great one set shows on Friday and Saturday, kicking off each show with a high energy opener, building even higher during the set, and sending us all home with big smiles. Billy Strings joined the boys for a killer four song sit in on Friday night, including a massive “Dirty Business,” while the Saturday highlight was probably the raucous “Arleen.” We go over both shows in detail and are joined by a special guest, Jeff’s better half, Jennifer, who attended her first, but hopefully not her last Panic show on Saturday night. She notices details that the rest of us miss, and gives us a breakdown of how one lucky couple experienced the physical act of love inside the porta pots. No, I am not making that up. We end with the obligatory tribute to Fall 1996 and, I kid you not, open up a pack of 1988 Topps baseball cards. In the non-profit world, we would call that “mission drift.” We’d love to share some clips from Mempho, but there was no taping allowed, so we’ll give you some 96 and 99 fall tour heat instead - enjoy!****Links below go to whole show streams from Relisten powered by Panicstream*<07 October 1996 - Gainesville, GA - Georgia Mountain CenterMachine > Barstools and Dreamers, Papa’s Home07 October 1999 - Santa Monica, CA - Civic AuditoriumJunco Partner > Diner > Rebirtha
116. 116: Wrangler>Walkin' in Memphis01:27:07It’s Mempho Time! ------------------------------The 2021 Mempho Festival is FINALLY here! What a couple of months since the last Panic shows - the Wilmington shows were epic, the Asheville shows serviceable, and then Napa and NYC got canceled, and JB got COVID. But, everyone is healthy and the fans are ready for the Memphis heat! Aside from the Panic, the festival lineup is pretty great, with the Avetts, Nathaniel Rateliff, Black Pumas, Liz Brasher, City Champs, and more gracing the stages at the Memphis Botanic Gardens. We are so excited to have you come to town! Check out this episode for a Mempho preview, some setlist wishcasting, and Jeff’s very extensive dining, drinking, doing, and watching recommendations to keep you and yours occupied during a busy SEC Saturday. Go visit that Stax Museum of American Soul Music, too! Even though Harvey only listens to JRAD these days, Jeff has a couple of Panic show recommendations for you from fall 94 and 99 - enjoy! ****Links below go to whole show streams from Relisten powered by Panicstream*27 September 1994 - Jacksonville, FL - Memorial AuditoriumMaggot Brain > Chilly Water26 September 1999 - Clemson, SC - Littlejohn ColiseumPapa Legba > PAYMH > Pleas > Conrad