Behind Her Empire
It's Never Too Late to Pursue Your Dreams with Michelle Ranavat, Founder of Ranavat
Michelle Ranavat is the Founder and CEO of Ranavat, a global skincare line inspired by Indian beauty rituals.
It was after the birth of her two sons that Michelle made the leap into starting her own business, and part of this was inspired by her own desire for products that she could not find. Michelle talks about her postpartum journey, the challenges she faced with hair loss, and how her awareness of Ayurveda along with the ethos instilled in her by her parents was the inspiration to bring Ranavat to life.
Michelle and RANAVAT have been consistently featured in publications including Allure, Glamour, and VOGUE, where Michelle was named one of the "Top 50 Influential Global Indians." Ranavat is also the first South Asian-Founded Ayurvedic Skin-Care Brand to be at Sephora.
We talk to Michelle about her career before entrepreneurship and how getting suddenly laid off from her reputable finance job was one of the hardest, but ultimately best moments in her life. We also chat about how certain setbacks taught her about resilience, and why that’s now one of her superpowers in running her business.
Michelle also shares how she self-funded Ranavat and supported the growth with zero outside funding, how she created awareness in the early days when she had no experience in skincare, and why patience is so important when building a well-run, successful company.
In this episode, we’ll talk to Michelle about:
* Michelle comments on things that hold women back from following their dreams. [2:34]
* The limiting beliefs that Michelle encountered at the time of the birth of her company. [3:33]
* Looking back at the lessons that Michelle internalized from her parents. [5:26]
* Michelle's career in finance prior to her work as an entrepreneur. [8:31]
* The challenging period that Michelle encountered before her professional shift. [10:55]
* Working with her father and the itch that drove Michelle to start her business. [14:43]
* Taking the time to focus, reflect, and create space for what is really important. [20:30]
* The early days of Ranavat and the first product that Michelle launched! [24:07]
* The growth of the business and Michelle's philosophy towards scaling. [30:04]
* Escaping the comparison trap; how Michelle focused on contentment and gratitude. [31:47]
* Developing a resonant message and gaining brand awareness. [34:24]
* Michelle reflects on some of the most pivotal moments for her business over the last few years. [36:55]
* The continual work that goes into building a brand and budgeting for advertising. [39:37]
* Decisions around Michelle's role in the brand image and how this has evolved. [42:24]
* Unpacking Michelle's morning routine and how she has accepted her own disposition. [45:22]
* Dealing with dips in energy and periods of burnout and stress. [50:41]
* A different perspective and making and learning from mistakes! [53:43]
* Important lessons from customers and understanding how feedback actually works. [55:12]
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ranavat/
* Website: https://www.ranavat.com/
This episode is brought to you by beeya:
* Learn more about beeya's seed cycling bundle at https://beeyawellness.com/free to find out how to tackle hormonal imbalances.
* Get $10 off your order by using promo code BEHINDHEREMPIRE
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yasminknouri/
* Stay updated & subscribe to our newsletter: https://www.behindherempire.com/