Behind Her Empire
Quitting Your Corporate Job & Building Your Empire with Helene Godin, Founder of By The Way Bakery
Helene Godin is the founder and CEO of By The Way Bakery, a unique, old-fashioned bakery where each treat is handmade, gluten-free, dairy-free, and certified kosher.
Helene hasn't always been a baker. She spent over two decades as a successful lawyer when she decided that she was ready for a change, and took the bold step of starting her business.
Although she was not an experienced baker, Helene leveraged her skill and passion as a researcher, along with her determination to exceed expectations, to learn and develop delicious gluten-free foods. Through her tenacity, she was able to create a unique gluten-free flour mix that now forms the cornerstone of her exceptional baked goods.
Today her bakery has four locations and can be found in over 80 Whole Foods stores nationwide. Over the past 10 years, her brand has developed a cult following and is beloved by many celebrities.
In our conversation with Helene, we discuss her transition from being a full-time lawyer to entrepreneurship and how this step changed her lifestyle and identity. We delve into how Helene prepared herself for the challenges that lay ahead as well as how she became comfortable with failure and taking risks after her very stable career.
In this episode, we'll talk to Helene about:
* Helene’s long, successful career as a lawyer and how she made the leap to pursue entrepreneurship and open up a bakery. [3:12]
* What it meant for Helene’s sense of identity to no longer be a lawyer. [5:04]
* The long and thorough process of preparation that Helene went through to open her bakery and why she felt confident about this transition period. [6:54]
* The entrepreneurial traits that Helene’s husband recognized in her and the role he has played in her journey. [12:06]
* How Helene identified and developed her passion after a long career as a lawyer. [14:18]
* How Helene took a chance in entrepreneurship by pursuing a field she had virtually no experience in. [16:18]
* Helene breaks down her process for making her business viable in the early stages and how she engineered her gluten-free flour mix. [18:18]
* How Helene conducted market research for her gluten-free products and decided not to be entirely vegan, but still dairy-free. [22:10]
* Some of the major pivots that Helene has had to make in life and business, especially due to the COVID-19 pandemic. [24:56]
* Helene’s transition into wholesale during the earlier days of her business and how she got into her first Whole Foods through tenacity and patience. [28:45]
* How the bakery had to adapt to a much larger new order from Whole Foods in a short period, why they couldn’t say no, and how the company has grown since. [32:01]
* The devastating impact of the COVID pandemic, how it affected the demand for baked goods, and the steps Helene took to keep her bakers on staff. [37:47]
* Helene’s self-care ritual and how it’s developed since the start of the COVID pandemic. [40:33]
This episode is brought to you by beeya:
* If you or anyone you know have been struggling with hormonal imbalances and bad periods, go to https://beeyawellness.com/free to download the free guide to tackling hormonal imbalances and to learn more about beeya’s seed cycling bundle.
* Plus, get $10 off your order by using promo code BEHINDHEREMPIRE
* By The Way Bakery Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bythewaybakery/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yasminknouri/
* Stay updated & subscribe to our newsletter: https://www.behindherempire.com/
View all episodes
209. Magnesium 101: How It Helps Anxiety, Sleep, Blood Sugar, Mood + More with Dr. Barb Woegerer54:28There are no one-size-fits-all solutions, but magnesium comes pretty close! It’s a powerful mineral that supports countless facets of our health—especially hormones. Most of us don’t get enough from diet alone, which is why we’re proud to have just launched our very own highly absorbable, professional-grade magnesium blend: beeyavibe ✨With today’s expert, we unravel the seemingly infinite benefits of magnesium!In this episode you’ll learn: * Why magnesium is crucial for hormone health* The role of magnesium in estrogen dominance* How it impacts blood sugar and insulin* The impact of magnesium on skin and aging* Why we need it for heart health* How magnesium can help with ADHD* And more…Dr. Barb Woegerer is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor practicing in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Dr. Barb is passionate about empowering individuals to take control of their own health. Her primary focus is to explore the underlying root cause and provide individualized patient centered care. She utilizes evidence based therapies and provides patients with the knowledge and tools needed to succeed. Her clinical focus is in women’s health, stress management, and inflammatory conditions. Dr. Barb spends a great deal of time educating individuals on the importance of magnesium and why we all need to add this mineral to our health toolbox. When she’s not seeing patients she loves spending time in nature, reading and experimenting with new recipes in the kitchen.Learn more about out NEWEST product: beeyavibe Magnesium Superblend: https://beeyawellness.com/products/beeya-vibe This episode is brought to you by beeya: * Learn more about beeya's seed cycling bundle at https://beeyawellness.com/free to find out how to tackle hormonal imbalances. * Get $10 off your order by using promo code BEHINDHEREMPIREFollow Yasmin:* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yasminknouri/* Website: https://www.behindherempire.com/Follow Dr. Barb:* Website: https://www.barbwoegerer.com/* Shani's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drbarbwoegerer/
208. How to Find & Master Your Craft, Build Your Brand and Top Tips to Transform Your Skin & Tackle Acne with Celebrity Skin Expert, Shani Darden46:24Shani Darden is a celebrity esthetician and Founder of Shani Darden Skin Care, a line of high-performing, effective skin care products. Shani trained as an esthetician under a leading dermatologist and eventually went out on her own years later. She developed a passion for creating products she could not find, sending clients home with custom-made formulas between visits. Shani built her Studio and her reputation as one of the most in-demand estheticians in the world and is the go-to skin pro for celebrities like Kelly Rowland and Jessica Alba. In this week’s episode, we talk about Shani’s non-linear path. After relocating to LA with dreams of pursuing a modeling career, she quickly discovered that the glitzy world of fashion and modeling didn't align with her true aspirations. It was through a series of many twists and turns that she found her calling to become an aesthetician.During our conversation, Shani offers a glimpse into the intricacies of her products and shares insights from her time as a receptionist - a job she was in for years while going to school and learning invaluable lessons along the way. She opens up about the humble beginnings when launching her widely successful Retinol Reform serum from her living groom and how she eventually paved her way into the shelves of Sephora. We talk about all things entrepreneurship, how she built her brand, and of course - we end on all her biggest skincare tips and tricks, especially when it comes to acne. In this episode, we’ll talk to Shani about:* Staying true to her beliefs and not allowing people to lead her astray. [02:44]* Shani’s upbringing and how it impacted the woman she is today. [04:00]* Shani's modeling and music video journey. [06:43]* Shani's growing interest in skincare and her path to entering the industry. [7:51]* Lessons from her time as a spa receptionist. [09:22]* Getting fired, getting out of school, and working with a dermatologist. [10:46]* Meeting her celebrity client, Jessica Alba, and the story of their friendship. [14:08]* Launching her first skincare product and Shani’s love for retinol. [17:19]* Challenges in building her brand. [19:26]* The relationship with Sephora and its evolution over the years. [23:05]* Highlights of having her own studio and space. [26:33]* The positive impact of the COVID Pandemic to her business. [27:48]* Shani's social media guidance for people. [29:12]* Shani’s tips for people with acne-prone skin. [30:19]* The different kinds of skin types. [33:03]* Shani's product recommendations for scarring and acne. [34:05]* Initiating a women's mentorship program. [37:50]* Dealing with impostor syndrome as the brand's face. [40:14]* The evolution of Shani's online presence. [41:52]* Shani’s greatest achievements in her life. [43:25]This episode is brought to you by beeya: * Learn more about beeya's seed cycling bundle at https://beeyawellness.com/free to find out how to tackle hormonal imbalances. * Get $10 off your order by using promo code BEHINDHEREMPIREFollow Yasmin:* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yasminknouri/* Website: https://www.behindherempire.com/Follow Shani:* Website: https://www.shanidarden.com/ * Shani's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shanidarden/
207. How Hormones Impact Anxiety, Mood, Energy, ADHD & More Throughout Life with Dr. Elena Zinkov59:15Can you relate to feeling wired but tired? How about feeling anxious, or like you can’t focus on anything? It turns out, your hormones could have something to do with all of the above! In this conversation, we dive into the underlying imbalances that can leave us feeling, well… bleh… and even dig into some of our co-founder Yasmin’s recent lab tests!In this episode you’ll learn: * The power of progesterone for sleep, mood + more* Why women can have more inflammation in perimenopause* How to support your body coming off birth control* When to take bioidentical hormones* How seed cycling can help boost progesterone* The best time of your cycle to take lab tests* And more…Dr. Elena is on a quest to empower women to be their best health advocates, while dispelling myths about hormones and women's wellness. An esteemed naturopathic doctor, her expertise spans endocrinology, longevity, anti-aging medicine, metabolic health, gut health, nutrition and exercise science over 20 dynamic years.Focused on guiding women through every life stage, including perimenopause and beyond, Dr. Elena shatters conventional hormone beliefs and offers insights into the common symptoms many women experience. Having faced her own battles with the conventional model of healthcare, she unveils medicine's hidden truths about women's hormones.This episode is brought to you by beeya: * Learn more about beeya's seed cycling bundle at https://beeyawellness.com/free to find out how to tackle hormonal imbalances. * Get $10 off your order by using promo code BEHINDHEREMPIREFollow Yasmin:* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yasminknouri/* Website: https://www.behindherempire.com/Follow Durana:* Website: https://www.drelenazinkov.com/* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drelenazinkov/
206. Overcoming Adversity, Finding Your Voice & Power, Leaving Corporate, and Stepping into Your Dream Life with Durana Elmi, Co-Founder of Cymbiotika59:06Durana Elmi is the Co-founder and COO of Cymbiotika, a high growth health and wellness company offering a range of products, including probiotics, vitamins, minerals, and more.Durana’s inspiring journey began when she moved from Afghanistan to the US and defied all traditional expectations imposed on her being a woman. Determined to write her own narrative, Durana pursued higher education instead of marrying young, forging a successful corporate career in defiance of her father's wishes.In our conversation, we explore the pivotal moment when Durana left her stable corporate job to embark on her first entrepreneurial venture. She candidly discusses the challenges and how she and her husband navigated this decision while raising a young daughter. Durana also walks through the valuable lessons she learned in her first business, which was in an entirely different industry, and how she applied these lessons to Cymbiotika. We talk about the early days of Cymbiotika when it was just one product, the pivotal moments that helped propel the incredible growth, and the steps they’ve taken over the past few years to get the company to over $40 million in revenue. We also chat about the importance of self-love, the role positive affirmations have had on her life, and steps we can all take to truly manifest the life we want, and so much more.In this episode, we’ll talk to Durana about:* Durana’s childhood and upbringing as an immigrant from Afghanistan. [02:43]* Importance of self-love and how Durana cultivated it in her own life early on. [04:12]* Durana's relationship with her father and how she defied all traditional expectations for her. [09:00]* The book 'Obstacles Welcome' by Ralph de la Vega and how Durana embodies its principles in her life. [14:00]* Durana's turning point: leaving corporate America alongside her husband to start their first business. [17:24]* The importance of creating your own story and having full control of your life. [20:15]* The challenges of transitioning from corporate to starting her own business. [23:15]* Durana's career journey and her evolving definition of success. [27:00]* The transformation of Cymbiotika: from a supplement into a lifestyle brand. [31:27]* How Cymbiotika went all in during the COVID pandemic. [39:33]* The early stages of Cymbiotika and its journey toward Cymbiotika 2.0. [41:08]* The significance of recruiting the right individuals and placing trust in their abilities. [45:49]* It's all about the journey and having faith in the process. [47:55]* Durana's daily routine and mindset for maintaining her mental health. [48:56]* Manifesting life and practicing gratitude shape the ecosystem of your personal karma. [54:44] This episode is brought to you by beeya: * Learn more about beeya's seed cycling bundle at https://beeyawellness.com/free to find out how to tackle hormonal imbalances. * Get $10 off your order by using promo code BEHINDHEREMPIREFollow Yasmin:* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yasminknouri/* Website: https://www.behindherempire.com/Follow Durana:* Cymbiotika Website: https://www.cymbiotika.com* Durana's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/duranaelmi
205. How to Feel Less Anxious, Overcome Limiting Beliefs & Transform Your Life, Realistic Tips to Start Meditating with Megan Monahan58:41Have you ever tried meditating but couldn’t make it past 5 minutes without thinking about your dog or what’s for dinner? We have good news from today’s guest, Megan Monahan, who says meditation doesn’t have to look one way—and ANYONE can create an impactful practice that works just for them.In this episode you’ll learn: * How to actually redirect your thoughts* Secrets to creating a consistent practice* How to find your style of meditation* Practical ways to bring mindfulness into your life* How to transform stress and anxiety* And more….Meditation expert, mindset coach and best-selling author Megan Monahan is passionate about making meditation accessible and relatable. Her goal is to infuse a modern-day “realness” into the all too often esoteric landscape of meditation. Since learning to meditate in 2009 with Deepak Chopra and becoming a Chopra-certified instructor, she has taught thousands to meditate through her platform.As a mindset coach and meditation guide, Megan is a senior educator at Unplug Meditation, works with brands like Asics, Goop, Chopra, Lululemon, Wix, Sweetgreen, Netflix and Facebook, and with clients internationally, always bringing her spiritual real talk. Her first book, Don’t Hate, Meditate was published in 2019 by TenSpeed Press.This episode is brought to you by beeya: * Learn more about beeya's seed cycling bundle at https://beeyawellness.com/free to find out how to tackle hormonal imbalances. * Get $10 off your order by using promo code BEHINDHEREMPIREFollow Yasmin:* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yasminknouri/* Website: https://www.behindherempire.com/Follow Megan:* Website: https://www.meganmonahan.com/* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/megmonahan/
204. From Homelessness to Billion-Dollar Empire: Unlock Your Confidence, Build Your Dream Life & Overcome Adversity with Fawn Weaver, Serial Entrepreneur & NYT Best Selling Author01:01:35Fawn Weaver is a serial entrepreneur and NYTimes bestselling author, and when she learned about the story of Uncle Nearest Green — the slave who taught Jack Daniel how to distill whiskey — she decided to create a company that would bring his legacy to life. After learning about Uncle Nearest and Jack Daniel's interconnected history, Fawn followed the story down to Tennessee, which led her to purchase the 300-acre farm in Lynchburg, Tennessee, where Nearest taught Jack how to distill. She initially thought of honoring Nearest's story with a book or movie, but decided the best way to preserve his legacy was with a bottle of the best Tennessee whiskey she could make. With no background in distilling, she threw herself into an industry mostly dominated by white men and a few major corporations. Since they launched, Uncle Nearest Premium Whiskey has become the fastest growing whiskey brand in US history, and has over $100+ million in revenue.In our conversation, Fawn discusses the importance of confidence in leadership and success, and what we can all do today to build more confidence in our lives. She shares her early life challenges, from homelessness to suicidal thoughts, and how she overcame the toughest of times and the biggest learnings she had along the way. Fawn talks about the serendipity around her launching her business and the biggest factors that have helped create the incredible growth they’ve seen, and so much more.In this episode, we’ll talk to Fawn about:* How Fawn has cultivated her confidence in the darkest of times. [02:51]* Faith's role in Fawn's confidence. [04:40]* Practical approach to how Fawn overcomes any fear in her life. [06:05]* Handling bad days; giving herself space and having a pray-first approach in everything. [09:58]* Fawn's most impactful experience: Leaving home at 15, third homeless shelter* Fawn's perspective on boundaries and outgrowing people. [26:06]* The pivotal moment when Fawn learned about Uncle Nearest and Jack Daniel's interconnected history and how it inspired her journey. [30:28]* Fawn's whiskey venture epiphany without prior experience. [39:32]* Having an all-women leadership team in a male-dominated spirits industry. [41:51]* Early brand awareness tactics and business growth factors. [46:34]* Fawn’s experience fundraising and how she managed the rejections early on. [50:23]* Finding the gem inside failure and how it builds confidence and strength. [56:49]* The importance of knowing your "Why” when it comes to starting a business. [58:49]This episode is brought to you by beeya: * Learn more about beeya's seed cycling bundle at https://beeyawellness.com/free to find out how to tackle hormonal imbalances. * Get $10 off your order by using promo code BEHINDHEREMPIREFollow Yasmin:* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yasminknouri/* Website: https://www.behindherempire.com/Follow Fawn:* Uncle Nearest Website: https://unclenearest.com/* Uncle Nearest Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/unclenearest/* Fawn's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fawn.weaver/
203. How to Optimize Fertility for Men & Women with Dr. Corina Dunlap48:19If you’re thinking about conceiving, have a diagnosis of PCOS or endometriosis, have experienced miscarriages or are anxious about pregnancy, this episode is for you. We sat down with our medical advisor and fertility expert, Dr. Corina Dunlap, to discuss the who, what, when and how as it relates to preparing the body for a baby.In this episode you’ll learn:* How to optimize your health before conceiving* When you should start preparing your body* Why fertility doesn’t just fall on women* What to eat during preconception* How men can support their sperm healthDr. Corina Dunlap is a licensed naturopathic doctor (ND) and women’s health and hormone specialist. She is the creator of Health by Design, a deeply personalized women’s healthcare program, and The Healthy Hormones Method, a transformational framework for women. Specializing in the treatment of conditions that range from irregular periods to PMS, thyroid imbalances, endometriosis, pelvic pain, and menopause, she is an internationally recognized expert in natural fertility optimization and women’s health at all stages of life. Dr. Dunlap is a clinician, researcher, educator, and speaker.This episode is brought to you by beeya: * Learn more about beeya's seed cycling bundle at https://beeyawellness.com/free to find out how to tackle hormonal imbalances. * Get $10 off your order by using promo code BEHINDHEREMPIREFollow Yasmin:* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yasminknouri/* Website: https://www.behindherempire.com/Follow Dr. Corina: * Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drcorinadunlap/* Website: https://drcorinadunlap.com/Get Dr. Dunlap’s NEW Preconception by Design course: https://www.healthbydesignnaturopathicllc.com/preconceptionbydesign
202. Ditching Corporate to Pursue Your Wildest Dreams with Sarah Gibson Tuttle, Founder of Olive & June56:45In this week's episode we're re-airing one of our top episodes with Sarah Gibson Tuttle, the CEO and founder of Olive & June, an innovative at-home nail-care brand that's disrupting the industry. Risking everything you have to pursue a dream can be the scariest but most rewarding thing a person can do in their life. Today’s guest has done just that. Sarah spent a decade in equity sales trading at Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan. She never thought she'd become an entrepreneur until her love for Drybar inspired her to create the same thing, but for nails. Although everybody thought her idea was crazy, Sarah was confident it would work and put all her savings into the first flagship store. Olive & June is now successfully democratizing nail care with their full suite of at-home mani and pedi products. In today's episode, we talk about how life's curveballs can be the biggest gift to sending you on a new path to rediscover your purpose and Sarah explains what it was like for her to ditch her safe corporate job to follow her passions, what kept her in her previous job for so long, and how her divorce added to her motivation to shake things up. She also shares the fears and imposter syndrome she overcame on the journey and the importance of therapy in her personal and professional life. Tuning in, you’ll hear how Sarah got funding, how she built a strong community around her brand, and how she has successfully pivoted over the years (especially during COVID). She also shares the importance of delegating and how, as a wife, mother, and entrepreneur, she manages it all. For a very vulnerable real conversation on what it takes to build a multimillion-dollar company from scratch, tune in today!In this episode, we’ll talk to Sarah about:* Overcoming career leap obstacles. [03:27]* Sarah's enduring passion through entrepreneurial challenges. [05:31]* Sarah's lengthy tenure as an equity sales trader. [08:52]* How divorce spurred her to shake things up. [12:25]* Building connections, embracing resistance. [17:38]* Therapy, empathy, and the impact of divorce. [22:50]* Overcoming fear and investing life savings. [26:03]* Creating a brand community. [29:02]* Balancing vision and adaptability. [37:05]* Olive & June's pandemic pivot and community support. [38:09]* Sarah's fundraising approach and investor relations. [40:32]* Valuable investment advice appreciated in hindsight. [44:18]* Juggling different life aspects. [48:22]* Team-building, delegation, and relinquishing control. [52:39]This episode is brought to you by beeya: * Learn more about beeya's seed cycling bundle at https://beeyawellness.com/free to find out how to tackle hormonal imbalances. * Get $10 off your order by using promo code BEHINDHEREMPIREFollow Yasmin:* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yasminknouri/* Website: https://www.behindherempire.com/Follow Sarah: * Sarah's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gibsontuttle/* Olive & June Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/oliveandjune/* Olive & June website: https://oliveandjune.com/* Get 20% off your first nail system - use code: BEHINDHEREMPIRE10
201. Busting Weight Loss Myths & Transforming Your Relationship with Food with Kim Shapira, Celebrity Dietitian50:17Are you always fighting cravings? Or in a never ending battle with your weight? In today’s episode, we sat down with a Registered Dietitian to get to the bottom of weight loss woes, popular advice, Ozempic, hunger cues and everything you need to know if your goal is to lose and maintain your weight—without depriving yourself.In this episode you’ll learn:* How to take back your relationship with food* Most common weight loss MISTAKES* How to maintain weight in perimenopause* The truth about taking Ozempic* How to STOP sugar cravings fast* Why your hunger cues are offKim Shapira M.S., R.D. is a celebrity dietitian (Kaley CuoCo, Brittney Snow, Marla Sokoloff and many more), nutritional therapist, and author of This is What You're Really Hungry For releasing July 25th, 2023. With a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology from Tulane University and a Master’s degree in Human Metabolism and Clinical Nutrition from Boston University. Kim has spent over 25 years helping people lose weight and keep it off (with a giant emphasis on keeping it off), both in her private Los Angeles practice as well as in hospitals, sports clinics, addiction centers and universities around the States. Kim Shapira has been at the forefront of nutrition therapy since the early 2000s, helping clients to truly understand their relationship with their bodies and correcting life long negative behaviors. Kim has been featured in Yahoo! News, Vanity Fair, Pop Sugar, Sky News, Just Jenny, Dr. Drew and many more.This episode is brought to you by beeya: * Learn more about beeya's seed cycling bundle at https://beeyawellness.com/free to find out how to tackle hormonal imbalances. * Get $10 off your order by using promo code BEHINDHEREMPIRE10Follow Yasmin:* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yasminknouri/* Website: https://www.behindherempire.com/Follow Kim: * Website: https://www.kimshapiramethod.com/* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kimshapiramethod/