A Year in Film: A Hollywood Suite Podcast
2010 — The Illusionist & A Cat in Paris: Animation Abroad (feat. Luc Chamberland)
Animation expert Luc Chamberland helps Becky and Alicia draw some conclusions about 2010 films The Illusionist (directed by Sylvain Chomet) and A Cat in Paris (directed by Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli). A multi-award-winning filmmaker, Luc Chamberland was born in St. Lambert, Montreal, and was raised on an intense diet of films, television and comic books. He studied Cinema at Concordia University. He has lived and worked, directing commercials, in Paris, London, Berlin, Munich, Budapest, and Rome. His animation credits include Asterix, Fievel Goes West, We’re Back, and Space Jam and he was the director of animation for the Dreamworks film Joseph: King of Dreams. Thanks to Seth's confidence, he directed the award-winning feature Seth’s Dominion. Meanwhile, he completed a Master’s in film at Raindance-Staffordshire University, UK. Now, back in lovely Montreal, this bon vivant filmmaker concocts many films projects, while living with his exquisite partner, Chantal, and their daughter, Lilith.
View all episodes
22. 2002 — Reign of Fire & Signs: Fire vs. Water (feat. Alex Nursall)01:03:41Cam and Becky are joined by guest Alex Nursall to chat about the wild McConaughey-starring apocalyptic dragon flick Reign of Fire and M. Night Shyamalan's baffling alien invasion movie Signs.Alex Nursall is an audio director, writer, and illustrator out of Toronto. She is the co-creator/writer, director, and voice of Judith on the award-winning horror podcast Parkdale Haunt (www.parkdalehaunt.com), is the voice of Mairi on the D&D Actual Play podcast Dice Shame (www.diceshamepodcast.com), and is a commercial voice and casting director in her day-to-day life at Pirate Sound.
21. 2002 — 8 Mile & 24 Hour Party People: Revisionist Music History feat. Graham Clark01:03:12Podcaster and comedian Graham Clark joins Becky and Cam on the A Year in Film Podcast to chat about two music-themed, and accuracy-challenged movies from 2002: 8 Mile and 24 Hour Party People.
20. 2002 — Bend It Like Beckham & My Big Fat Greek Wedding: Culture Clash (feat. Vanya Garraway)01:05:23Writer and film programmer Vanya Garraway visits the AYIF podcast to chat about two massive hits from 2002: Bend It Like Beckham and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Vanya Garraway is a writer based in Toronto. She is a film programmer at the Revue Cinema (Paid In Sweat, a celebration of sweat in cinema), and a film/pop-culture pundit who is nostalgic for yesterday. She is a poet and a panelist for hire. She is an arts and culture professional of twenty-plus years’ experience.
19. 2002 — The Mothman Prophecies & Queen of the Damned (feat. Mary Beth McAndrews)01:01:15Dread Central's Mary Beth McAndrews visits the A Year in Film Podcast to explore 2002's The Mothman Prophesies and Queen of the Damned with Becky and Emily, Mary Beth McAndrews is the editor-in-chief of Dread Central, as well as a filmmaker, journalist, and occasionally an academic. Her debut feature film Bystanders is currently in post-production. When she's not writing or watching horror movies, she spends her free time searching for Mothman.
18. 1991 — Pure Luck & Hot Shots! Slapstick Hilarity (feat. Petey Gibson)01:00:23Physical comedy takes centre stage when special guest Petey Gibson joins Becky and Alicia to discuss 1991's Pure Luck and Hot Shots! Petey Gibson is a transmasc comedian, actor, producer and writer, currently recurring as C Hemingway on FOX's Alert: Missing Persons Unit, now filming Season 2 after a long and successful strike. His roots lie in comedy as a live comedian and Groundlings-trained improvisor, with appearances on Broad City and Grace & Frankie.
17. 1991 — Bugsy & New Jack City: Smooth Criminals (feat. Josh Lewis)01:05:211991 was a banner year for gangster movies. Podcaster Josh Lewis joins Becky and Cam to discuss Bugsy and New Jack City. Josh Lewis is a freelance film critic (with writing in Cinema Scope and The Film Stage), film programmer, Blu-ray distributor, and host of the genre and exploitation double feature movie podcast SLEAZOIDS.
16. 1991 — Zandalee & Dead Again: Bizarre Love Triangles (feat. Lindsay Gibb)57:23Librarian and author Lindsay Gibb joins Alicia and Becky to unravel the 1991 love triangle movies Zandalee and Dead Again. Lindsay Gibb is a librarian at the University of Toronto and the author of National Treasure: Nicolas Cage from ECW's Pop Classics series. She is also the co-host of the Winona Ryder podcast, Winona Forever.
15. 1991 — My Girl & Father of the Bride: Little Girls Grown Up (feat. Kimberly-Sue Murray)01:02:44Actor Kimberly-Sue Murray joins Becky to discuss the touching 1991 coming-of-age comedies My Girl and Father of the Bride. Kimberly-Sue Murray is a graduate of the prestigious Canadian Film Centre and is best known for her recurring roles in Shadowhunters, V-Wars and Trader. Murray is also a prolific creator, writing and starring in the award winning short films She Came Knocking, Purl and Werewoman.
A Year in Film Live! 1993 — Batman: Mask of the Phantasm & Demolition Man: Big City Bads (feat. Anthony Oliveira)46:28Special guest Anthony Oliveira joined Becky Shrimpton and Cam Maitland live at Fan Expo Canada to unpack a pair of films about big city criminal chaos – 1993's Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Demolition Man. Anthony Oliveira is a National Magazine and GLAAD award-winning author, pop culture critic, and PhD living in Toronto. He is the film programmer for the Revue Cinema's DUMPSTER RACCOON CINEMA programme, and the host of the podcast THE DEVIL'S PARTY, examining Christian poetry through a queer readership lens. His first novel, Dayspring, is forthcoming from Strange Light Press in 2024.