A Year in Film: A Hollywood Suite Podcast
1985 — The Peanut Butter Solution & Crime Wave: Canadian Weirdness (feat. Jay Baruchel)
Season 4, Ep. 12
Actor, comedian, filmmaker and proud Canadian Jay Baruchel stops by to stand on guard for two absolutely outrageous slices of CanCon released in 1985: The Peanut Butter Solution (directed by Michael Rubbo) and Crime Wave (directed by John Paizs).
2010 — The Illusionist & A Cat in Paris: Animation Abroad (feat. Luc Chamberland)
Season 4, Ep. 21
Animation expert Luc Chamberland helps Becky and Alicia draw some conclusions about 2010 films The Illusionist (directed by Sylvain Chomet) and A Cat in Paris (directed by Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli). A multi-award-winning filmmaker, Luc Chamberland was born in St. Lambert, Montreal, and was raised on an intense diet of films, television and comic books. He studied Cinema at Concordia University. He has lived and worked, directing commercials, in Paris, London, Berlin, Munich, Budapest, and Rome. His animation credits include Asterix, Fievel Goes West, We’re Back, and Space Jam and he was the director of animation for the Dreamworks film Joseph: King of Dreams. Thanks to Seth's confidence, he directed the award-winning feature Seth’s Dominion. Meanwhile, he completed a Master’s in film at Raindance-Staffordshire University, UK. Now, back in lovely Montreal, this bon vivant filmmaker concocts many films projects, while living with his exquisite partner, Chantal, and their daughter, Lilith.
2010 — Boy & Submarine: Coming of Age (feat. Jordan Hayles and Emily Gagne)
Season 4, Ep. 10
Becky and supervising producer Emily Gagne are joined by Jordan Hayles as they get emotional about 2010's Boy (directed by Taika Waititi) and Submarine (directed by Richard Ayoade). Hailing from Scarborough, Ontario, Jordan Hayles is a television and film editor who has taken pride in his attention to detail which has lead to his ascension in his career. His diverse array of work has spanned from Lifestyle, Doc-Style, Sports, and Narrative, with his work appearing on networks such as VICE, NBC, HGTV, Food Network, CBC, CTV, and with the various teams owned by Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment (MLSE). He’s also an advocate for diversity, understanding that in his position there are not many who are fairly represented across the board, and it’s his mission to give back to others, and hopefully break in more talent through the doors as his career advances.
2010 — Kick-Ass & MacGruber: Action Flick Satires (feat. Allison Dore)
Season 4, Ep. 19
Becky, Cam and special guest Allison Dore kick off the 2010 series with two movies about, well, kicking ass: Kick-Ass and MacGruber. Allison is host of the entertainment-focused, daily talk radio show The Breakdown, on SiriusXM channel 167. In 2018, Allison founded Howl & Roar Records, a female-centric comedy record label with a mandate to focus 70% of their output on women in the industry. In the remaining 30% priority is given to men in marginalized communities.