Another Way to Play
Finding What You Want with Alex Barker
Today I had the pleasure of speaking with the Entrepreneur, and the Founder and CEO of The Happy PharmD, Alex Barker. The Happy PharmD is a business and career consulting and coaching firm for pharmacists. Alex first started his career thinking that he wanted to be a pharmacist but realized during his residency that that wasn’t the case. He spent roughly five years bouncing around, trying different things until he reached where he is now.
Let’s dive into Alex’s story of how through trying out different paths can help you find what you’re good at and what you really want.
Things you will learn in this episode:
[00:01 – 07:23] Opening Segment
- I talked briefly about valuable information that you can take advantage of in this episode
- I introduce guest, Alex Barker, into the show
- Alex talks about how his journey began
- Grew up thinking he needed to impress everyone
- Studied pharmacy in college
- Jumped around starting different businesses and built up his coaching and leadership skills
- Started and focused on The Happy PharmD
[07:24 – 13:46] Finding What You Want
- Alex takes us back to when he realized “I don’t like this” during his residency
- Relatable to the feelings he got when he got fired several times
- Hoped to get into teaching but realized he didn’t like that after learning about business
- Now thinks of teaching as a back-up plan in case his business fails
- Alex talks about “what you’re good at and what you’re bad at”
[13:47 – 19:25] The 5-Year Gap
- Alex talks about his 5 years of bouncing around different paths
- Thinks he should be further along than where he is currently at that time
- Realized and decided to commit to one thing to see if it succeeds
- Talks about the things that helped him realized “this is the place to go”
- Limitations: Knowing what you’re good at and outsourcing the rest
- Seeing the need and no one doing it
[19:26 – 27:27] How do you differentiate yourselves against competitions in the business?
- Alex talks about what makes them different against their competitions
- Delivering great service
- Growth: having a team working along your side
- I talk about the mindset “I want competition but I don’t want to compete”
- Having healthy competition that will help push you in the right way
[27:28 – 32:24] The FOCUS FIVE Segment
- What book have you recommended most often?
- How to win friends and influence people
- If you can get an hour of somebody's time and ask questions, who would that be and why?
- Genghis Khan, strategy
- What is one thing that you believe that most people would disagree with you on?
- The mindfulness crap that’s been going around
- Morning routine, How do you start your day?
- Wake up
- Been reading my favorite comics
- Self-care time with my wife
- What is the best place we can connect with you online?
- See below for social links
- Final words from Alex and me
“It was really the trial and error, perhaps there’s a mixture too of just quick adoption of skills and execution that really led me to where I am because I would quickly try to learn as much as I could and applied it as I was learning it to really justify is this worth pursuing or not.” – Alex Barker
“I have found that I am in a much more tempered place because of my failures and because of my successes, I’m no longer swayed by new shining opportunities that people present me” – Alex Barker
“once you figure out what you’re good at, you have to think through how can I only do that activity and delegate everything else to the best of my ability” – Alex Barker
LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone who wants to explode their business growth by sharing this episode or click here to listen to our previous episodes.
Are you working HARD but not really moving the needle on anything? You should check out my POWER LIST and find out how you can get more done to move your business, project, or relationship closer to where you want it to be. Let’s go!
To know more about me and all the real estate opportunities you can find, check out my website at Hansstruzyna.com. Get the chance to talk with me for FREE. Set up a call using this link https://calendly.com/h-struzyna/15min