Welcome, Android Faithful
Android Faithful is your weekly source for Android news, hardware, apps and more. Join Huyen Tue Dao and Ron Richards, along with a host of Android friends and experts as they keep you up to date every week on everything important to the world of Android From phones and foldables, to tablets and TVs and more. We are the Android Faithful.
View all episodes
32. Leica Liking Friends01:25:09It's a big week as Android 15 has landed and Huyen, Mishaal and Ron are excited to talk about it with our special guest, Android Developer Zarah Dominguez joining us direct from Australia!Featured in this episode:NEWSThe first Developer Preview of Android 15 is hereMishaal breaks down why it wasn't hard to break down Android 15Android 15 could have new features to protect your sensitive notifications AND speed up web pagesAs if Android 15 wasn't enough, Google rolled out Gemini 1.5, upping the game for AIFewer Android users jumped to iPhones in 2023Patron News Story Pick: 8 new Emoji are coming to our keyboard soon!HARDWAREPixel Fold and Pixel Watch Prototypes leaks in unlikely placesOnePlus teases the One Plus Watch 2 to be unveiled at Mobile World CongressAsus Zenfone 11 will be unveiled on March 14Honor Magic V2 gets a Porsche makeoverZTE Libero Flip hits Japanese markets at a low priceDetails emerge on the Xiaomi 14 UltraGo watch Jason's review of the OnePlus Open!APPSGoogle Messages could soon let you edit textsGoogle explains Android Auto AI Message Summaries"Talk to a Live Rep" coming to Android, not just PixelsGoogle Play Store gets AI with App Highlights and FAQsCOMMUNITYEmail 1: Tom from Ireland and Scotland shares an app to enable Nearby Share with MacOS called Near DropEmail 2: Adam in San Diego shares a YouTube video that helped him figure out how to change notification sounds on his Samsung Galaxy S24Thanks to Zarah Dominguez for joining us on the show! Check her work out at https://zarah.dev/
31. Google Gemini Rollout Rollercoaster01:29:19Ron, Jason, Huyen, and Mishaal are unimpressed by the rollout of Gemini as an Assistant replacement, MIshaal shows a reputable leak of the Pixel Fold 2, and Android 15 is likely days away from release!Featured in this episode:NEWSBard AI chatbot replaces Google Assistant, available in new Gemini app and Google Assistant headphonesGemini can save conversations for up to 3 yearsAndroid 15 to make phones easier for baseline users to usePixel Fold might get a fancy trick from the OnePlus OpenPixel phones may get auto touch sensitivity based on the environmentFirst look at Android 15's chat bubbles on Pixel TabletGoogle tackling Android phishing problemsAndroid 15 preview coming this weekFCC may investigate Apple over Beeper Mini shutdownWhatsApp planning interoperability with other messaging appsPatron News Story Pick: YouTube Music testing Cast redesign on AndroidHARDWAREOnePlus 12 and 12R unboxing, 12R available nowExclusive first look at rumored Google Pixel Fold 2Nothing Phone 2A launches March 5th in US with limited releaseNothing announced Glyph developer kitXiaomi Watch 2 with Wear OS for half the Pixel Watch 2 priceAPPSGoogle Maps redesigning directions search, dropping fullscreenGoogle Maps Android now shows weatherCloud photos available in Android photo pickerCOMMUNITYEmail 1: Blake switched from Galaxy to Pixel 8 Pro, misses Samsung Routines to change settings like Bluetooth volume.Email 2: Dave impressed with Pixel 7's Photosphere features, providing an example of a seamless Photosphere they took.Email 3: Another Dave asking what the word is before "Android" in the AF theme song.
30. More Bang For The Bezel01:24:55Ron Richards, Huyen Tue Dao, Mishaal Rahman, and Jason Howell are joined by Chih-Hao Kung from ASUS to talk all about the ROG Phone 8 and the state of Android gaming phones in 2024.NEWSAndroid 15 to bring audio sharing, more immersion, and enhanced app archiving.Amazon job listing spells impending doom for Android on Fire OS.Circle to Search comes to Pixel 8 family.Find My Device network still MIA.Patron News Story Pick: Full screen food ads on the Chromecast with Google TV.INTERVIEWChih-Hao Kung, ASUS global PR, talks all about the ROG Phone 8.HARDWARESamsung Galaxy Z Fold 6 and Z Flip 6 might be less expensive.Also possibly a mid-range foldable by Samsung too!Nokia branding by HMD coming to an end.PIxel Fold 2 might have a Tensor 4 instead of the G3!APPSQuick Share is here!Generative AI coming to Google Maps.Google says Assistant Driving Mode isn't DEAD dead.COMMUNITYThe end of the microphone in the search bar isn't that bad.The Pixel 8 Pro thermometer ALSO isn't that bad.Firefox Focus is highly recommended!
29. Fossil Becomes Fossilized01:18:29Ron, Jason, Huyen, and Mishaal are joined by Florence Ion to discuss what Samsung is doing right, what Google is doing wrong, and what Onn has that Logitech doesn't.Featured in this episode:NEWSGoogle Pixel devices lose Assistant microphone shortcutGoogle accidentally reveals Assistant with Bard demo videoGoogle may rename Assistant with Bard to GeminiFlo LOVES Circle to SearchPixel Feature Drop for January 2024Samsung, Google preparing Wear OS 5 based on Android 14Wear OS preps for Material You, hints at grid app launcherAndroid allows eSIM transfer between phonesPatron News Story Pick: Critical storage permission bug in Pixel phonesGoogle halts January 2024 GPSU rollout due to device issuesHARDWAREFossil exits smartwatchesGalaxy S24 may detect car crashesHonor’s Magic V2 foldable launches in Europe and UKRon looks at the Logitech K480 Keyboard paired with Pixel TabletAPPSChromecast with Google TV to receive incoming call notificationsGoogle Assistant revamped on Android Auto with AIUpgrade to Passkeys on Pixel phones with Google Password ManagerCOMMUNITYChad suggests gestures for AR computing instead of virtual keyboardsMike shares how alcohol saved his water-damaged phone
28. Samsung's AI Secret Is Google01:20:46Mishaal returns from Galaxy Unpacked 2024 with the S24 in hand, plus plenty of rumory goodness from Google and OnePlus.Featured in this episode:NEWSSamsung Unpacked 2024 was full of AI... by Google.Samsung Galaxy Ring is a smaller fitness wearable.Samsung looks to bring non-invasive glucose monitoring to its wearables.Patron News Story Pick: WhatsApp has its own nearby file sharing solution too.HARDWAREMishaal goes hands-on with the Samsung Galaxy S24.OnePlus announces the global OnePlus 12 and the 12 R.OnePlus also shows off the OnePlus Buds 3.OnePlus Watch 3 could come at MWC and run Wear OS.Pixel Watch 3 might come in two size variants.Pixel 9 gets some crisp new renders that show striking design changes.APPSGboard for Pixel Tablet getting new voice typing toolbar and seamless voice typing mode.Google Messages will let you talk to Bard soon.Assistant with Bard might become, simply, Bard.Google Photos stacks will clean up your photo roll.COMMUNITYHow aggressive is Google's hardware plan compared to Samsung and Apple?One fan's AR-driven futuristic dream.Kia software update fixed Pixel 6 connectivity issues.
27. Samsung Slows to Second01:35:30Post-CES hangover is in effect with guest Adam Doud fresh from Vegas with some hot hardware in hand to show off. Plus, a bonus chat with Mishaal from the road!Featured in this episode:NEWSSamsung's reign as top smartphone maker comes to an endGoogle layoffs lead to the end of many Assistant featuresWidgets returning to the lockscreen? Thank you, Android 15That green Android guy has a name!Patron News Story Pick: Animated GIFs coming to Google MessagesHARDWAREMishaal talks about his hands-on with the ASUS ROG Phone 8 and other CES discoveriesAdam gives a hands-on glimpse of the OnePlus 12AAWireless 2 brings hardware improvementsAPPSBluetooth beacons save Google Maps' day in tunnelsWowMouse turns your smartwatch'd hand into gesture-nav goodnessCOMMUNITYOne tale of eSIM glory in the UKChad likes Podcast Addict too (and he's tried them all)You know what's better than Android Faithful? 140" of Android Faithful!
26. Windows in the Front, Android in the Back01:28:02It's the annual CES 2024 mega-super-duper-crazy-awesome Android extravaganza, featuring Sandeep Chivukula from Google!Featured in this episode:NEWSDeep dive with Sandeep Chivukula, Director of Product Management for Multi-Device Experiences at GoogleQuickShare, Fast Pair on big screens, Pixel 8 Pro and Pixel Tablet content hand-off, Matter on Google TVs for Home control.A slew of Android announcements for the carRCS getting dual SIM support on Google MessagesAndroid 15 could support replacing the Assistant summons with apps like ChatGPTPatron News Story Pick: Google Password Manager gets a new shortcutCES HARDWAREMishaal goes hands-on with the ASUS ROG Phone 8TCL goes big with new NXTPAPER devicesTCL goes bigger with the largest TV set in North America (with Google TV)Lenovo announces a ThinkBook that runs Windows when docked and Android when detachedSamsung teases AI features with its Galaxy Book 4 newsHisense also shows off a very large Google TVXgimi is bringing Google TV heat to its projectorsNON-CES HARDWARESnapdragon XR2+ Gen 2 will power the next generation of XR experiencesOppo Find X7 has not one but two Periscope camerasCOMMUNITYYou talk about Pocket Casts, but what about Podcast Addict?Why so much about sharing files? Isn't that what the cloud is for?
25. Google Feature Hokey Pokey01:15:58It's the first episode of the new year and if you thought Android news was light due to the holiday break, think again!Featured in this episode:NEWSGoogle and Samsung might merge Quick Share and Nearby ShareBeeper says it’s done dealing with Apple over iMessage for Android app issuesGlobal premium smartphone market sees record sales in 2023Android may soon estimate phone battery life expectancyPatron News Story Pick: Google Maps Driving Mode on Android might disappear in 2024HARDWARESamsung hosting Galaxy S24 Unpacked event in San JoseMore Galaxy S24 series renders leakedGalaxy S24 series AI and camera features leakedNothing Phone (2a) specs and pricing leaksCarl Pei tweets teasing a “New Year, New Phone"OnePlus 12R specs aplentyAPPSAndroid Auto now syncs phone wallpaper to displayGoogle Clock gets Pixel-inspired weather forecast redesignMicrosoft brings Copilot AI assistant to AndroidCOMMUNITYcontacts sync issues from Google Contacts to MacGoogle's Find My Device tracker launch is still in progressGreen bubble complaints signify the need for new friends
24. Nearby Husbands01:31:48The last official episode of the year is a biggy! Jason Howell, Ron Richards, Huyen Tue Dao, and Mishaal Rahman welcome not one but two amazing guests: Gizmodo's Florence Ion and The Verge's Sean Hollister!Featured in this episode:NEWSSean was in the courtroom for the entire Epic v Google case!Google lost another antitrust ruling that threatens sideloading norms.Beeper's iMessage saga leads to US lawmaker attention.Patron News Story Pick: Google Messages giving RCS its background wallpaper.HARDWAREPixie could outshine Assistant on the Pixel 9. More photos and specs of the Asus ROG Phone 8 and 8 Pro. OnePlus addresses quality control concerns by Xiaomi. APPSGboard is getting stylus handwriting support. Google Keep is getting lockscreen note capabilities. Google Photos cloud content will be available to the Photo picker. Chrome for premium tablets will default to desktop mode. Google Maps is moving location tracking data on-device. COMMUNITYBob from Pennsylvania talks about the real reason most Android users want messaging compatibility across platforms.Scott doesn't like YouTube Music's podcast strategy. (Another) Bob is happy that the band is back together again.