Menstrual Mindfulness with Lara Briden
Did you know that 80-90% of female-bodied individuals suffer from PMS?
Did you know that actually suffering from PMS isn’t how life needs to be for those who experience periods?
This episode of And Yet Podcast is about empowering women and female-bodied people to use their menstrual cycle as an asset rather than a hindrance on their quality of life. Lara Briden is here to share some of her wisdom and experience with helping her patients progress from accepting period discomfort as a normal life experience to helping them mostly—if not completely—eradicate all PMS symptoms.
Lara Briden is a naturopathic doctor with over 20 years of experience. Her mission is to have easy, symptomless periods, and join the worldwide period revolution. Her book Period Repair Manual outlines practical solutions to improving PMS and all unpleasant symptoms related to the menstrual cycle.
Right now, conventional medicine tends to brush off many period problems, telling patients that it’s “normal.” Lara Briden, however, says menstrual health is not separate from the rest of your health, even if conventional medicine treats it that way. Instead, it’s more like a monthly report card that will determine if you are eating a nutritional diet or have any underlying health issues.
Learn how you can take back control over your period on this episode of the And Yet Podcast.
Some Questions I Ask:
- How did you become involved in the area of menstrual and hormonal health? (4:00)
- What do you mean when you say that menstrual health is an indicator of overall health? (5:41)
- What can our periods tell us? (6:36)
- What PMS symptoms are normal and considered healthy? (16:05)
- What PMS symptoms should raise a red flag? (25:04)
- What is the problem in misdiagnosing something like PCOS? (27:52)
- How should we be talking to medical professionals about our experiences? (38:38)
- How can we learn to use our cycle to our advantage? (44:20)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How menstrual health indicates overall health and what our periods are telling us. (5:51)
- What is and is not a period. (10:39)
- The various PMS symptoms that are normal and why they are experienced. (16:13)
- Vitamins and supplements that help rid you of your PMS symptoms (27:06)
- What PCOS is and its effects. (29:15)
- Useful scripts and suggestions to help with having tough conversations with doctors about pain and other symptoms. (38:44)
- Tips on using your cycle to make time for self-care. (44:31)
Connect with Lara Briden: