A Word with Tom Merritt
Sports - Derrick Goold
Season 1, Ep. 21
Derrick Goold, baseball writer and lead beat writer for the St. Louis Cardinals at the St. Louis-Post-Dispatch talks about what makes sports so popular. Especially spectator sports. Why do so many of us care so much about what other people are doing on a field or pitch.
Acast+ members will get bonus content!
27. Did You Like Season One?04:17Tom wraps up the first season of "A Word" and asks for your suggestions for season two!Featuring Tom Merritt.Send us your suggestions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
26. Code Switching - Robb Dunewood55:07Code switching. What is it? Why does it happen? Is it necessary? Robb Dunewood shares his personal experience to help us understand what it is and what it isn't.Featuring Tom Merritt and Robb Dunewood.Links:SMR PodcastThe Tech Jawn
25.5. Hawaii - Ryan Ozawa (Extra)02:00Here's a little bit from the interview with Ryan Ozawa that didn't necessarily fit into the main discussion. We moved it to bonus content because, while it didn't fit thematically with the happiness of the rest of the episode, Ryan's passion for his home is endearing - even if a little course sometimes.Featuring Tom Merritt and Ryan Ozawa.
25. Hawaii - Ryan Ozawa51:11Hawaii is a paradise but there's more to it than meets the postcard. Ryan Ozawa is a native and advocate and talks to us about his perspective on the island and what makes it great.Featuring Tom Merritt and Ryan OzawaLinks:https://twitter.com/hawaiihttps://www.instagram.com/hawaii/https://www.linkedin.com/in/hawaii/
24. Humanity - Ruby Justice Thélot45:39Humanity is facing a threat and a possible replacement from machines. But is it as bad as we might think? Ruby Justice Thélot talks to us about the philosophy of the future of humanity.Featuring Tom Merritt and Ruby Justice Thélot.Ruby's Links:https://twitter.com/being_on_linehttps://www.instagram.com/being_on_line/www.asterisques.com
23. Danger - Rob Reid01:03:24Author and venture capitalist Rob Reid talks to us about danger. He's done whole books and podcasts about future dangers so it's fair to say he has some thoughts. But how do you make people take danger seriously? We'll explain.Featuring Tom Merritt and Rob Reid.Links:After On PodcastRob Reid on TwitterRob Reid's Substack
22. Fear - Brian Hoffman38:40Is fear the mind killer? Can we live without fear? We talk to pilot Captain Brian Hoffman about his perspective on fear. He also has some good tips for dispelling it, espeically when on a plane. “No real Zombies were harmed in the making of this podcast.” Featuring Tom Merritt and Brian Hoffman.Read Brian's Substack here.
21.5. Sports - Derrick Goold (Extra)02:16A few extra minutes of Tom's conversation with Derrick Goold after the episode finished.