The FourFourTwo Podcast
Chernobyl FC: The lost football team
On Saturday, 26th April, 1986, Stroitel Pripyat prepared to take on FC Borodyanka in a cup semi-final in northern Ukraine; the first game in their new stadium.
The game did not go ahead.
The stadium would never be used.
Adapted from an article in the latest issue of FourFourTwo magazine, in this podcast Grant Fulton tells the story of the footballers who had the flee the fallout of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, those who bravely helped in the aftermath – and the football club that disappeared with a city.
Read Paul Brown’s full story on FC Stroitel Pripyat by buying the September issue of FourFourTwo now and getting it delivered straight to your door.
Written by Paul Brown
Script editor, producer and narrator - Grant Fulton
Sound design, editing and production - Pete Mauder of Phonotheque
Other voices were provided by Lyle Fulton, Ruslan Hay and Pete Mauder
Get more stories like this every month in FourFourTwo magazine. Subscribe now and get five issues for £5.
The executive producer is James Brown, and FourFourTwo podcasts are overseen by Steve Morgan and Conor Pope
View all episodes
28. The making of Mourinho33:41Jose Mourinho divides opinion. He’s won European titles, multiple Premier Leagues, Primeira Ligas, Scudetto, and a La Liga in an honours list that boasts 19 major trophies in as many years in management.But his self-confidence, temperament, and philosophy have brought detractors. It’s nearly a decade since he won the Champions League and five years since he won the league, bringing questions over whether the 57-year-old is now a manager past his prime.He is one of only five managers to have won the European Cup with two different teams, and could yet do something unprecedented and win it with a third.Despite coaching last season’s Champions League runners-up, a victory with Tottenham would be on par with the level of shock that wins with Porto and Inter.Conor Pope, Chris Flanagan and Seb Stafford-Bloor look at Mourinho's history in the competition, and his task at Spurs.Buy the magazine: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/mag-mourinho-vs-world-plus-mane-mendy-kovacic-iniesta-rio-baptista-efl-old-boys-and-moreSubscribe to FourFourTwo magazine: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/fftpod20/
27. SPECIAL: John Motson and Barry Davies interview58:08This is a special episode, celebrating two British footballing greats. Neither ever kicked a ball, or managed a team. But together they soundtracked the sport for a grateful nation for over 50 years.We sat down with commentary legends Barry Davies and John Motson to discuss a broadcasting rivalry older than most Premier League coaches.Read the full interview here: fourfourtwo.com/features/john-motson-barry-davies-interview-podcast-commentary-rivalry-motd-world-cup-euro-96Buy the Euro 96 special: myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/outdoor-and-leisure/fourfourtwo-magazine-back-issues/fourfourtwo-print-february-2020/Subscribe to FourFourTwo: myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/fftpod20
26. Gazza, Southgate and Euro 9643:54Paul Gascoigne and Gareth Southgate are both integral to the story of Euro 96 in very different ways. They were at different parts of their career, were different kinds of players, and had deeply contrasting personalities. One scored the goal that encapsulated how England fans felt during the tournament, the other missed the penalty that sent the Three Lions out.Conor Pope, Si Hawkins, Gary Parkinson and Chris Flanagan discuss Gazza and Gaz.Buy the Euro 96 special: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/outdoor-and-leisure/fourfourtwo-magazine-back-issues/fourfourtwo-print-february-2020/Subscribe to FourFourTwo: myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/fftpod20
25. Euro 96: The whole damn thing47:59Euro 96 took place in a different world. It was a time closer to the three-day week, the Vietnam War and the eradication of smallpox than the present day.English football had welcomed the start of the Premier League only four years earlier, but had endured embarrassment at Euro 92 and absence from USA 94.Despite that, the tournament captured the national imagination and came to sum up a moment in both our footballing and cultural history.Conor Pope is joined by Gary Parkinson, James Andrew, and Chris Flanagan to discuss the whole tournament.Buy the Euro 96 special: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/outdoor-and-leisure/fourfourtwo-magazine-back-issues/fourfourtwo-print-february-2020/Subscribe to FourFourTwo: myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/fftpod20
24. 100 best players in the world 201946:11It’s very simple. We’re here to discuss the 100 best players in the world.We’ve decamped to the pub for this episode. The reasons we’ve done this are simple: It’s the end of the year, and we felt like it. Joining Conor Pope to go through the #FFT100 are editor James Andrew and staff writer Chris Flanagan.Read the FFT100 here: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/best-football-players-world-2019-100-footballers-soccer-list-fullBuy the end of year mag: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/outdoor-and-leisure/fourfourtwo-magazine-back-issues/fourfourtwo-january-2020/Subscribe to FourFourTwo magazine: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/fftpodcast19/
23. Being Rafa Benitez22:28Let’s talk about facts, baby.Rafa Benitez is the cover star on the latest issue of FourFourTwo magazine, talking about Mike Ashley, Mourinho, and the Miracle of Istanbul.He’s currently managing Dalian Yafing out in China, although still has a family home in Merseyside, where we caught up with him for this interview.Will he end up back in the Premier League soon? I’m Conor Pope, and I discuss the kind of clubs he might end up at with our very own Chris Flanagan.We also look at Rafa’s greatest achievement – that Champions League victory – with This Is Anfield’s Matt Ladson.Buy the mag: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/outdoor-and-leisure/fourfourtwo-magazine-back-issues/FourFourTwo-December-2019.htmlSubscribe to FourFourTwo magazine: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/fftpodcast19/
22. Inside Lazio's Ultras20:10On August 7th, 2019, the leader of Lazio’s ultras, the Irriducibili, was shot dead. He was assassinated in broad daylight, in a park in Rome.A few weeks later, Lazio played their fierce rivals Roma. Andy Mitten decided to attend the match – with the Lazio ultras.He’s written up the experience in the current issue of FourFourTwo – and here, he takes us behind the story.Buy the magazine :https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/outdoor-and-leisure/fourfourtwo-magazine-back-issues/fourfourtwo-autumn-2019/Subscribe to the magazine: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/fftpodcast19/
21. The Football War12:13In 1969, a series of World Cup qualifiers between Honduras and El Salvador played part in triggering a conflict that claimed thousands of lives.This episode looks at how the war began, and the role the beutiful game played in ugly combat.This story first appeared in FourFourTwo magazine's Autumn 2019 issue, which you can buy here: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/outdoor-and-leisure/fourfourtwo-magazine-back-issues/fourfourtwo-autumn-2019/You can also subscribe to the magazine here: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/fftpodcast19/
20. How Barcelona and Real Madrid can rule Europe again39:18It’s a pretty big rivalry – you might have heard of it. They call it El Clasico.Right now, the two sides are facing a crisis, in their own way: neither side won the Champions League last season for the first time in six years.So how do they get back on top in Europe? Conor Pope talks to Andy Murray, who has written a blueprint for success for Barca and Real in the new issue of FourFourTwo.There is no Clasico match this weekend, even though there should be. Colin Millar, author of the Frying Pan of Spain – a history of the Seville derby – and editor of Football Espana, explains why that is – and what other political shenanigans are going on in the Spanish league.Read Andy Murray on Neymar: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/neymar-los-toiss-barcelona-real-madrid-psg-controlling-circle-friendsOrder the magazine: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/outdoor-and-leisure/fourfourtwo-magazine-back-issues/fourfourtwo-autumn-2019/Subscribe to the magazine: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/fftpodcast19/Buy The Frying Pan of Spain: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frying-Pan-Spain-Sevilla-Football/dp/1785315242/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3RBTSAGMDDSOB&keywords=the+frying+pan+of+spain&qid=1554469656&s=gateway&sprefix=the+frying+pan,aps,156&sr=8-5