This Is Going Well, I Think with David Cooper
Stéphane Deschênes - August 8, 2023
Today, it's "El Presidente" – the president of the International Naturist Federation (INF), Stéphane Deschênes. Stéphane is also the owner of Bare Oaks Family Naturist Park. David and he begin by discussing an imaginary company called Lebb Media. They then dive into mixed-up ideas of masculinity and capitalism, and things get political. Afterwards, they have a conversation about the "dark side" of naturism and the bad actors he has encountered over the years. David shares an anecdote about a family attempting to smuggle naked photos of him across the border. Stéphane opens up about his suspension from Twitter and sheds light on the "nudniks" and vigilante groups who oppose naturist parks. Lastly, Stéphane finally tells David a little bit about the INF and being president.
View all episodes
60. Where I'll Be - September 21, 202302:19David lets us know what he'll be doing for a week, and when he'll be back.
59. Dr. Lee Kuhnle - September 20, 202338:16Political science professor Dr. Lee Kuhnle, a conspiracy theory expert extraordinaire, joins the show for banter and a discussion about the ludicrous images of "aliens" emerging from Mexico. Lee shares that NASA has recently announced the strongest evidence to date suggesting the possibility of life existing on a distant planet. (You can hear more of Dr. Kuhnle discussing conspiracy theories on The Uncover Up Conspiracy Cast, which he cohosts with Nathan Radke.)
58. Tony Five - September 19, 202329:59Today, David bores Tony Five (and everyone listening) by talking about his week – surprise, surprise: it involves computers. Tony brings a discussion of the headlines surrounding Russell Brand to the show. The conversation moves to crime and why Brits wear ridiculous wigs in court. David and Tony ponder the legal difference between "being charged" vs. "being indicted" in the court system. David looks up the definition of the word "pestilence." Tony opens up about what success means to him and why he misses having a steady live radio gig.
57. Blue Balls with Caroline Pukall - September 18, 202321:05Finally, someone has undertaken the important task of studying "blue balls!" Does it genuinely exist? Is it experienced by folks with penises and vaginas alike? What troubling outcomes were observed during the study of this subject? Professor of Psychology from Queen's University, Caroline Pukall, joins the podcast to discuss her research.
56. The Asparamancer - September 15, 202321:08Here's an interview from the archive with David and Jemima Packington, the Asparamancer (an asparagus psychic). How does asparagus being out of season affect her powers? Why was she chosen by the mysterious forces of asparagus? Is she the only known vegetable psychic? How does it all work - and, more importantly, does she eat the asparagus after her predictions? After that, a mystical asparagus twofer: a previously unreleased interview with Tony Five and Jemima.
55. Tony Five - September 14, 202330:47The show's foreign correspondent, Tony Five, drops in from London, England. David and Tony reunite after not speaking for over a month. Surprise, surprise, David continues to ramble on about the Burning Man festival. David tries to convince Tony Five why he should attend, selling the awesome power of "playing dress-up" at the event. They discuss a place you can visit at Burning Man called the Orgy Dome. (Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like.)
54. Mother's Awkward Vibrations - September 13, 202312:29During the rain event that caused the shutdown of the Burning Man festival, which made international headlines, David worked on the radio for the city's radio station, BMIR. A highbrow literary magazine published a profile about listening to the station during the rain, which referenced an inappropriate on-air phone call with David's mother, Clara, during which they discussed sex toys. Here's that phone call!
53. Sheena Melin, The Evansburg Grouch - September 12, 202322:16Today, David interviews the newly elected Evansburg Grouch, Sheena Melin. David delves into why a small town has the bizarre tradition of electing a Grouch. Sheena talks about her new job and shares stories about grouches, past and present. An important side conversation about how the Grinch and David make their pork chops happens. David explores what perks Sheena wants, mostly a town parking spot.
52. Dan Riskin - September 11, 202358:46We're back from vacation! Science educator and evolutionary biologist Dan Riskin joins the show to interview David about what happened at the Burning Man festival. It rained, and that made international headlines. Here's the strange scoop from someone who was actually there. But more importantly, there's a strange tale of a desert radio station, David's mother, and a character named Butthole Steve. Don't worry, a little science is covered too: Dan lets us know why scientists are rethinking the rules for naming species (spoiler: it's Hitler's fault).