From the Ground Up
From the Ground Up Ep. 299: the Council of Canadians, with David Condon | 2023.11.29
The Council of Canadians has been working for social and environmental justice and for stronger democracy in Canada since 1985. In this interview, Dave talks with David Condon, CoC board representative for the prairies region.
View all episodes
308. From the Ground Up Ep. 308: EcoStress Sask, with Amy Snider | 2024.02.2157:41In 2021, Amy Snider, together with Russell Charlton and Katherine Arbuthnott, started up EcoStress Sask. In this extended conversation with Mark, Amy talks about the personal experience that led up to this initiative, and describes the work of the organisation.EcoStress Sask may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. More information at https://ecostresssask.ca/
307. From the Ground Up Ep. 307: Energy efficient buildings | 2024.02.0728:28A repeat of (most of) an interview with Robin Adair ("The Green Builder") which we ran in 2021. But first some news about municipal and federal programmes to enable energy improvements to homes.Canada Greener Homes programme: https://natural-resources.canada.ca/energy-efficiency/homes/canada-greener-homes-initiative/canada-greener-homes-grant/canada-greener-homes-grant/23441City of Saskatoon HELP progrmme: https://www.saskatoon.ca/environmental-initiatives/energy-water/home-energy-loan-program-helpPassive House Canada: https://www.passivehousecanada.com/
306. From the Ground Up Ep. 306: Climate and refugees | 2024.01.3128:08Mark talks through some recent news stories and shares some of what he has learnt about the way that the global climate crisis affects another major international crisis - that of forced displacement.
305. From the Ground Up Ep. 305: Taking the federal government to court | 2024.01.2428:19Lauren and Mark talk about the progress and the purpose of the court case being pursued by a nationwide group of young people, demanding that the federal government align its climate policy with the science.But first some brief commentary on the averted blackout crisis in Alberta.
304. From the Ground Up Ep. 304: Taking the federal government to court | 2024.01.1728:26Lauren and Mark talk about the progress and the purpose of the court case being pursued by a nationwide group of young people, demanding that the federal government align its climate policy with the science.
303. From the Ground Up Ep. 303: 2023 retrospective | 2023.12.2728:27Mark and Dave look back at 2023, with some thoughts as to how to improve things in future years.
302. From the Ground Up Ep. 302: Sonnets for the solstice, the earth and the people | 2023.12.2028:28
301. From the Ground Up Ep. 301: COP28, Scott Moe's misinformation and the fossil fuel nonproliferation treaty | 2023.12.1328:24At the time of recording, the COP28 climate summit was in turmoil, with both vulnerable low-income states and much of the industrialised world finding COP president Sultan Al Jaber's draft agreement to be unacceptable. But Al Jaber isn't the only leader seeking to impose the agenda of the oil and gas industry on the world at a time of climate emergency: Saskatchewan's own Scott Moe has made a number of inaccurate and misleading public comments that need to be corrected. Mark briefly attempts to do so, before replaying an interview with Tzeporah Berman on one of the most positive climate initiatives to have emerged in recent years, the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty proposal, now supported by 12 nation states, the WHO, the European Parliament, the state of California, and numerous scientists and civil society leaders.More details at https://fossilfueltreaty.org/
300. From the Ground Up Ep. 300: Elena Sosa Lerin on gender-based violence | 2023.12.0628:13Elena Sosa Lerin talks about the 16 days of activism against gender-based violence (Nov:25 to Dec:10), and the ways in which environmental stress adds to the risk and incidence of such violence