The Worker Learner
Practice of the imagination: Saffron Benner in conversation with David Pledger
Dr Saffron Benner in conversation with leading contemporary artist and thinker, Dr David Pledger. Whether you label yourself an artist or not, this is a timely conversation about considering the creative impulse that informs what we're all doing, how we're doing it, and why we're doing it, and what that means as we contend with an uncertain future.
View all episodes
16. The new activism: community, joy & love. Hannah Moloney in conversation with Saffron Benner34:20Anyone who watches the ABC's Gardening Australia will be familiar with Hannah Moloney. From her hillside pink house in Hobart her enthusiasm for permaculture knows no bounds. In this episode, Dr Saffron Benner discovers that underneath Hannah's bubbly persona is a driven activist. This engaging conversation suggests that whether we find ourselves in the garden or at work, community, joy and love is our greatest superpower.
14. Risky Business: Johanna Nalau talks risk and resilience with James Thompson (Senior Vice President, Asia Pacific Division, FM Global)26:19With nearly 200 years of experience, commercial property insurer FM Global approaches the idea of risk differently. With an immersive training centre in Singapore where participants use virtual reality and gameplay to explore risk, they are at the cutting edge of climate adaptation. In this episode, Dr Johanna Nalau talks risk and resilience with FM Global's James Thompson (Senior Vice President, Asia Pacific Division, FM Global).
13. Olympic opportunity: Dr Kimberly Camrass in conversation with Dr Saffron Benner30:36In this episode Dr Kimberly Camrass, Director - Climate Positive Brisbane 2032, talks with Dr Saffron Banner, Manager of Griffith University's Sustainability Office, about the preparations underway leading up to the Olympic Games, and why the Olympics means so much for QLD beyond sports. The games are an opportunity to build a better region, now and for the future.
12. Life after sport: Johanna Griggs discusses strategies for wellbeing in the workplace with Professor Donna Pendergast25:26In this candid conversation between much loved Australian media personality, Johanna Griggs, and Professor Donna Pendergast, Johanna shares her transition from athlete to media presenter, and charts the highs and lows of her 30 year career and how throughout all of this she always kept one eye on her wellbeing.
11. Climate change, art and the boardroom: David Finnigan in conversation with Dr Saffron Benner33:38David Finnigan is a theatre maker at the intersection of art, science and the corporate world. In this conversation with Dr Saffron Benner from Griffith University's Sustainability Office, David explores the role of the artist as the world grapples with climate change, and details how artistic practice can open up creative spaces for useful conversations.
10. Success starts with community: Dr Dinesh Palipana OAM in conversation with Steve Mitchell (CEO, Gold Coast Titans)28:01Dr Dinesh Palipana OAM and Steve Mitchell (CEO of the Gold Coast Titans) explore the idea that a football club's success relies on more than just winning on the field. Connection to community and community pride is really what makes or breaks a team.
9. Cybercrime: Professor Ernest Foo in conversation with investigator Graeme Edwards27:34From insider threats to malicious attachments to the emotional turmoil of romance scams, there are endless ways to fall victim to cybercrime. In this podcast, Professor Ernest Foo interviews Graeme Edwards from the Queensland Police Service Financial and Cyber Crime Group about the increasing complexity and prevalence of cybercrime.
8. Rebuilding Binna Burra: Dr Johanna Nalau in conversation with Steve Noakes32:05In this conversation Dr Johanna Nalau discusses the recovery of South East Queensland's much-loved Binna Burra with Steve Noakes (Chair, Board of Directors). When many of the historic buildings of Binna Burra were destroyed in the 2019 by bushfires, it was Steve who became the public face of the remarkable and tenacious rebuilding process. This is vital listening for anyone interested in business resilience in a time of climate change.