Luke's ENGLISH Podcast - Learn British English with Luke Thompson
837. Describing a Car Accident in 15+ Styles of English 🚗 📄
How would the same car accident be described in over 15 completely different styles of English?
What are the differences in vocabulary, grammar and organisational structure?
How should I change my voice to read each description?
Let's see how English changes in different situations.
Styles presented include:
- formal and informal English,
- news reports,
- an action movie screenplay,
- an Eminem rap, a romantic novel,
- a Shakespeare play,
- a politician making a speech,
- a stand-up comedian,
- Liam Neeson in the film Taken,
- and Luke in an episode of Luke's English Podcast.
Episode page (with PDF transcript) https://wp.me/p4IuUx-sQ8
View all episodes
869. Working at UNESCO 🏛️ English in International Diplomacy01:59:25In international diplomacy, "communication is everything". This is the main point of this conversation, in which I talk to my friend who works for the UK delegation at UNESCO in Paris. We discuss the work that UNESCO does, and the various communication challenges involved in working together with representatives from countries all around the world, including the collaborative writing of official documents where the use of a single comma can be debated for hours, and the meetings and conversations in which cultural sensitivity and good-will are essential elements for success. Also includes some communication idioms and guitar playing near the end of the episode.👉 Episode page with introduction transcript https://teacherluke.co.uk/2024/02/19/869-working-at-unesco-english-in-international-diplomacy/
P57 Vocabulary Review for LEP868 How the USA is changing with Lindsay McMahon01:49:56In this premium episode I re-cap a lot of vocabulary from my conversation with Lindsay McMahon in LEP episode 868 "How the USA is changing". This episode is full of vocabulary for describing social change, politics, economics and the rights of workers.This is an express episode, which means I go through 50 language samples in one single episode. There is no pronunciation part for this, so P57 is a single-episode series. The PDF has all the language extracts with vocabulary highlighted, a memory exercise and discussion questions to help you practise using the vocabulary to talk about the topic of the episode.👇PDF and Video Links👇📄 PDF phone version - large size text https://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/P57-Vocabulary-Review-for-LEP868-How-the-USA-is-changing-with-Lindsay-McMahon-Phone-Version.pdf📄 PDF normal version - normal size text https://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/P57-Vocabulary-Review-for-LEP868-How-the-USA-is-changing-with-Lindsay-McMahon.pdf📼 Video version https://youtu.be/Gv7iOtqqRQE
868. How the USA is changing (with Lindsay McMahon from All Ears English)01:14:16Talking to Lindsay from All Ears English about social, economic and political changes happening in the USA (and the UK) at the moment.Includes some rambling and a song at the end of the episode. 👉 Episode page https://teacherluke.co.uk/2024/02/12/868-how-the-usa-is-changing-with-lindsay-mcmahon-from-all-ears-english/👉 Listen to Luke on All Ears English talking about American & British English https://pod.link/751574016/episode/d4b5eabd02763c0770be33d021098248
867. Multimodal Communication (with Nik Peachey)01:26:18This episode is all about the different modes of communication that we use beyond the 4 linguistic skills of reading, writing, listening speaking. My guest is Nik Peachey who has helped to write a new paper published by OUP called "Multimodality in ELT: Communication Skills for Today’s Generation". Listen to Nik and me chatting about the importance of multimodal literacy in our social interactions and in the ways we consume and produce media online.🔗 Episode page with intro notes 👉 https://teacherluke.co.uk/2024/02/06/867-multimodal-communication-with-nik-peachey/📄 Read the OUP paper "Multimodality in ELT: Communication Skills for Today’s Generation" 👉 https://elt.oup.com/feature/global/expert/multimodality?itm_source=oup-elt-site&itm_medium=hero-banner&itm_campaign=ww-multimodality&cc=ca&selLanguage=sk
1 Million Subscribers on YouTube 🎉49:40Here are my reactions to getting 1 million subscribers on YouTube, and probably 1 million+ on audio platforms too!Listen to me rambling on my own and with my daughter (6 years old now) while the subscriber number gradually goes up, and eventually reaches this big milestone.Episode page https://teacherluke.co.uk/2024/02/02/1-million-subscribers-on-youtube-x1f389/
P56 [Part 8] Pronunciation Practice for Part 746:18Use this episode to help you pronounce all the vocabulary from part 7 of this series. Also join me for a few minutes while I nearly get to 1,000,000 subscribers on YouTube and some men risk their lives working in the roof of my building (it's an action-packed episode).👇PDF & VIDEO LINKS👇📄 PDF Phone Version (Large text) https://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/P56-Part-8-Pronunciation-Practice-for-Part-7-Phone-Version.pdf📄 PDF Computer Version (Normal size text) https://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/P56-Part-8-Pronunciation-Practice-for-Part-7.pdf📼 Video version https://youtu.be/tnFit7LlAVA
P56 [Part 7] Vocabulary Review for LEP#863 Your English in 2024 with LEP 📈 Adjectives, Adverbs & more01:04:58Here is the final section of my vocabulary list from LEP#863. This time we are looking at adjectives and adverbs with a couple of other miscellaneous language points too. More vocabulary input to help you broaden your lexical range. Don't forget to use the memory exercise and also discussion questions which you will find on the PDF.👇PDF & VIDEO LINKS👇📄 PDF Phone Version (Large text) https://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/P56-Part-7-Vocabulary-Review-for-LEP863-Your-English-in-2024-Adjectives-Adverbs-More-Phone-Version.pdf📄 PDF Computer Version (Normal size text) https://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/P56-Part-7-Vocabulary-Review-for-LEP863-Your-English-in-2024-Adjectives-Adverbs-More.pdf📼 Video version https://youtu.be/AZIGQDiYLjQ
866. The Lying Game #9 with Amber & Paul (with Vocabulary Explanations)01:56:17The return of the lying game on LEP! Amber, Paul and I play a speaking game which I sometimes use in my English classes. Listen to our stories and try to work out if we are lying or telling the truth. The second half of the episode contains story summaries and vocabulary explanations. 👉 Episode page with vocabulary list, etc https://teacherluke.co.uk/2024/01/29/866-the-lying-game-9-with-amber-paul-with-vocabulary-explanations/
P56 [Part 6] Pronunciation Practice for Part 529:25Hello! Here is the sixth part in this premium series and it is for pronunciation practice using vocabulary I explained in part 5.👇PDF and Video Links👇📄 PDF Phone Version (Large size text) https://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/P56-Part-6-Pronunciation-Practice-for-Part-5-phone-version.pdf📄 PDF Computer Version (Normal size text) https://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/P56-Part-6-Pronunciation-Practice-for-Part-5.pdf📼 Video version https://youtu.be/gnhkB4_iU-0