Everything Under the Sun
Stagnant and Polluted Air in the Summer Months
This week on "Everything Under the Sun", it's all about air quality. Dean DeVore discusses air quality and more summer heat means more stagnant air and more pollution in the air we breathe. We are joined by Dr. Rupa Basu, Research Scientist/Epidemiologist at Cal EPA/Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment to talk about a recent study about increases in stagnant air and more. Also, AccuWeather meteorologists Dave Dombek and Paul Pastelok join the chat to talk about how air quality can affect forecasting, especially during peak fire season.
Learn more about the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment on Twitter at @OEHHA and read the following study for more information!
View all episodes
23. Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks16:08With Independence Day just around the corner, it's time to get ready for the one of the nation's most famous celebrations, the Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks! Dean DeVore sits down with Kathleen Wright, Macy’s Director of Production Operations to learn about all the exciting performances and what to expect from the fireworks show, now celebrating its 47th year! More about Macy's Fourth of July here:https://www.macys.com/s/fireworks/
21. Protect yourself from pests this summer24:30This week on “Everything Under the Sun” we are talking about pests. Dean DeVore welcomes Dr. Jim Fredericks, Chief Entomologist & Vice President of Technical and Regulatory Affairs of the National Pest Management Association back to the podcast to get the latest information on how to protect your health and home from pests this summer.For more information, visit www.pestworld.org
20. Space and Astronomy Summer Events22:00This week on 'Everything Under the Sun', Dean DeVore gets the latest updates on space and astronomy with AccuWeather's Brian Lada. Then, we take a trip back in time to May 1933 with Evan Myers to learn about one of the greatest natural disasters to ever befall the United States, the Dust Bowl.
19. Summer Gardening Tips / Hurricane Season Update27:23Emmy Award-winning producer and host of The Organic Gardener Radio Show, Doug Oster returns to the podcast with even more gardening advice as we head into Memorial Day weekend and the start of summer! For more information: www.dougoster.com / Host of The Organic Gardener Radio Show on KDKA RadioAnd with the 2023 Atlantic hurricane season set to begin on June 1, Dean DeVore gets an update on a potential tropical development in the Atlantic this week from AccuWeather meteorologist and hurricane expert, Dan Kottlowski.
18. Water Safety Tips with Rowdy Gaines, Olympic swimmer20:20As we approach warmer weather around the country, many families will turn to water activities to cool down. This week on 'Everything Under the Sun', Dean DeVore welcomes Olympic swimmer Rowdy Gaines to discuss National Water Safety Month. When it comes to swim safety best practices, Rowdy, the Pool & Hot Tub Alliance and its Step Into Swim program have parents covered. Step Into Swim addresses swim safety during National Water Safety MonthRowdy also discusses his hall of fame career, winning 3 Olympic Gold medals, setting 10 world records and what it's been like covering swimming for the Olympics on NBC since 1996. http://www.rowdygaines.com/
17. AccuWeather's 2023 Summer Forecast25:40This week, Dean DeVore is joined by AccuWeather's Lead Long-range Forecaster, Paul Pastelok with a look at AccuWeather’s 2023 Summer forecast!AccuWeather's 2023 Summer Forecast:https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-forecasts/us-summer-weather-accuweather-breaks-down-the-2023-forecast/1519281Then, we take a trip back in time to May 1937 with Evan Myers to learn about how weather impacted the Hindenburg disaster.It’s all this week on “Everything Under the Sun”!
16. How reporting the weather has changed over the years16:23This week on “Everything Under the Sun”, Dean DeVore is joined by Lee Harris, longtime morning news anchor at WINS-AM/FM in New York City. Lee chats with Dean about his career as a news anchor, how broadcasting has changed over the years and shares some of his favorite memories covering New York's biggest news and weather events.
15. Storm Chasing with Reed Timmer24:30It’s Tornado Week on “Everything Under the Sun” and who better to talk to than storm chaser and extreme meteorologist Reed Timmer? Dean DeVore sits down with Reed live from the road to talk about the wildest and most memorable tornadoes that he’s encountered in his 25-year chasing career, during which he has intercepted over 600 twisters. Plus, what goes in to his day-to-day planning and scheduling for chasing and intercepting massive storms. It’s all this week on “Everything Under the Sun!”Read about his top five chases here:https://www.accuweather.com/en/severe-weather/reed-timmer-recounts-his-top-5-most-memorable-tornado-chases/1517211More on Reed Timmer:https://www.youtube.com/tornadovideoshttps://twitter.com/ReedTimmerAccuhttps://www.tiktok.com/@reedtimmerwxhttps://www.instagram.com/reedtimmer/https://www.facebook.com/reedtimmer2.0