Ep. 95: Lisa Moore – No Place to Go But Around (works by Frederic Rzewski )
The album was released by Cantaloupe Music in June 2022, and may be purchased here
Watch the album trailer:
…and the video made for the opening track To His Coy Mistress:
The New York times wrote about the album:
“That inviting quality of Moore’s album extends to her latest performance of “Coming Together,” one of Rzewski’s most well-known contributions to the modern repertoire… Moore’s solo voice-and-piano approach takes dramatic notice of references to lovers’ “emotions in times of crisis” that are present in the literary source material…Just as striking is her take on the rarely heard “To His Coy Mistress,” a setting of Andrew Marvell’s poem from the 17th century. Moore’s playing is meticulous when it comes to the compact three-act structure of the music (and its text); she hits the gas with a controlled force" ...
“The lushness of some of its (Amoramaro) chords, though, is what strikes me most forcefully on repeat listens. And that’s thanks in part to Moore’s overall approach to Rzewski, which often allows for a greater range of emotion than other interpreters permit, including the composer."
View all episodes
Ep 109: Aaron Wyanski - Schoenberg Op.25 arranged!20:59Composer and pianist Aaron Wyanski speaks about his new 'session orchestra' arrangement of Schoenberg's op.25, part of his Schoenberg in Hi fi series.https://aaronwyanski.bandcamp.com/album/schoenberg-suite-op-25https://www.aaronwyanski.com/
108. Ep. 108: Fredrik Rasten – Lineaments24:19Composer and guitarist Fredrik Rasten presents his latest disc, Lineaments, out on SOFA Music, as well as other work reflecting his fascination for just intonation and related sound phenomena.
107. Ep. 107: Jonah Haven – Gasser23:24Composer Jonah Haven discusses the track Gasser from his recent portrait release on WERGO.
106. Ep.106: Kerry Yong – Cover Me Cage23:23Kerry Young discusses his project Cover Me Cage Kerry Yong is a performer, composer and arranger based in east London. He trained as a pianist and now also performs on keyboards and electronics. His piano repertoire includes unusual classical repertoire (such as the Alkan’s arrangement of Mozart’s D minor Concerto K 466 for solo piano), new compositions, and his own project Cover Me Cage: electronic arrangements of various prepared piano works by John Cage.He performs in groups such as Apartment House, Plus-Minus Ensemble and WeSpoke, and has appeared in many new music festivals including Audiograft, Borealis, Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival, LCMF, MaerzMusik, ISCM World Music Days, Ultima; in series such as Kammer Klang, Music We’d Like To Hear and NonClassical; on BBC Radio and recording labels Another Timbre and Wirripang.Kerry studied piano with Stephanie McCallum in Sydney and completed a doctorate at the Royal College of Music in London studying piano with Andrew Ball. He is also Director of Music of Grace Church Hackney, where they are happy to use ancient chants, traditional hymns and new works with choirs, bands, electronics, objects and the like.
105. Ep.105: Juliana Snapper and Andrew Infanti - You Who Will Emerge from the Flood22:49Juliana Snapper and Andrew Infanti speak about their under-water opera “You Who Will Emerge from the Flood”. At the end of the episode, you will hear Blorkra Suite, a 6-minute mash-up of electronic music and vocal recordings from several site-specifics productions of this work. The work has been presented at AKSIOMA, Institute for Contemporary Art (Ljubljana); Queer up North Festival (Manchester); TRAMA Festival de Artes Performativas (Porto); Teatr Dramatyczny Migracje Festiwal (Warsaw); La Bâtie - Festival de Genève; and Bendigo International Festival of Exploratory Music.https://www.julianasnapper.com/?pg=work-you-who-will-emerge-from-the-flood
104. Ep. 104: Sarah Saviet – Every Strand of Thread and Rope20:00Sarah Saviet speaks about Every Strand of Thread and Rope, a four movement work for solo violin work by Soosan Lolavar, released on All That Dust. The episode features extracts from the first and second movements and the entirety of the final movement at the end.
103. Ep. 103: Mimi Doulton & Neil Luck – Five English Folk Songs18:30Singer Mimi Doulton and composer Neil Luck present "Five English Folk Songs" out May 1, 2023.
102. Ep.102: Tansy Davies & Zubin Kanga – Star-Way26:36Composer Tansy Davies and keyboard player Zubin Kanga discuss the track "Star-Way" from Zubin's upcoming release "Machine Dreams" on nonclassical.
101. Ep.101: Contrafacta – a place to sing at night28:36Jesse Broekman (electronics) and Christian Smith (Drums) in Contrafacta present their debut album "a place to sing at night" released on Moon Villain.