Becoming Your Best | The Principles of Highly Successful Leaders
Episode 356 - How To Turn Play, Learning, and Work into the Same Thing with Mike Evans
All our experiences, studying, learnings, and preparation are only 49% of what we need to turn an idea into a success; the other 51% is just starting.
In today's episode, Mike Evans, Founder of GrubHub and Author of "Hangry," visits us to share his story of how he turned an idea into a business empire. Mike is an MIT graduate who felt getting a pizza online was too complicated, so he decided to fix that issue, and "magically," 12 years later, he sold GrubHub in a public offering. He is also the Founder of Fixer, a company that connects customers with skilled, friendly "fixers" in the Chicago area.
We had a fantastic conversation about Mike's journey as a founder and entrepreneur; he took us through the 12 years process of creating GrubHub and explained why every founder must have a perfect balance of arrogance and humility.
We talk about the difference between quitting and giving up, why starting failing is the only way of starting, how to connect with a great mentor and get the best of them, and more.
Tune in to Episode 356 of Becoming Your Best, and learn about Mike's impressive story of transforming the will of fixing a problem into a successful business.
Some Questions I Ask:
- Please, tell us about your background, including any turning points that had a significant impact on you (3:43)
- What messages do you hope readers will take away after reading your book? (6:42)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How do you define success, and why it’s important (4:19)
- An overnight success that took 12 years (7:47)
- Who the best mentors are, and what do we need to offer them (12:11)
- Work, play, and learning are the same thing (16:29)
- 51% of success resides in starting to do the thing (19:47)
Connect with Mike:
Becoming Your Best Resources:
- Becoming Your Best Website
- Becoming Your Best University Website
- Becoming Your Best Library
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Book: Becoming Your Best: The 12 Principles of Highly Successful Leaders
- Book: Conquer Anxiety: How to Overcome Anxiety and Optimize Your Performance
- Facebook Group – Conquer Anxiety